Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What shall we play next?

Civilization V
- 14 (28%)
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13
- 26 (52%)
Some other idea (please post it in the thread)
- 2 (4%)
Play Apoc again and try not to embarrass yourself this time!
- 7 (14%)
Nothing. The LP was bad and you should feel bad.
- 1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: Complete: Let’s Play Ironman/Superhuman X-Com Apocalypse!  (Read 115432 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let’s Play Ironman/Superhuman X-Com Apocalypse! (Chapter 15)
« Reply #240 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:19 pm »

Hey, look, this! Also, yay, medals!!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 28, 2011, 12:45:44 am »

Hey, you brought be back again!  Yay!

What are honorary kills?

I'd suggest that I should lead the charge into the last alien building.  It wouldn't feel right if I survived...  :P

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 28, 2011, 01:14:09 am »

Hey, you brought be back again!  Yay!

What are honorary kills?

I'd suggest that I should lead the charge into the last alien building.  It wouldn't feel right if I survived...  :P

Honorary kills means you clearly killed them but didn't get credit. Alien gas doesn't give you credit for the kills.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 28, 2011, 01:16:17 am »

Thanks for explaining that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2012, 03:44:51 pm »

I've started an X-Com apoc game, and it's more annoying than I recall, maybe it's due to having to run it in dosbox :/. Kind of sluggish.

I'm playing it turn based because, whereas it was the first x-com game I played, and I did it in real time back then, I've gotten used to the TBS of the other two x-coms in the meanwhile (and RT is too arcadeish). I'm not sure that I like it better than them, TBH.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 10, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »

Turn based takes forever in Apocalypse. I think if you get past the first week, things smooth out and the game is enjoyable until the end when you have all the techs and no challenges.

An update on the LP:

It turns out that I will be gone on business for two months, starting Sunday, so the LP has to finish by then. I am going to try a test run live stream tonight (I will probably get home around 5 Pacific), if it works well enough, I will plan for the final mission on Thursday. Remember, the live stream Thursday will be me playing and writing the LP live so it isn't going to be super exciting. That being said, if it all works out, watchers should get a chance to vote on a couple of important story points to close out the LP.

If someone has experience with live streams and wants to help me get it all set up, please PM me.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2012, 12:12:51 am »

The live stream idea is dead. I am coming up quickly on my trip and it is time to close out, but there are a few important decisions to make. To prep them, here is another interlude.

Spoiler: Interlude 2: Dominance (click to show/hide)

So there you have it. There is a good chance many agents will die in the final mission. If you want your agent to stay safe and sound in MegaPrimus, just say "I'm out". Anyone who isn't out is assumed to be in, but you can say "I'm in" just to show you still care.

Before you agree to fight know that even if we win and your agent survives the combat, he or she can still die.

Nirur, Glyph, Tim, and Aqizzar are the highest ranking agents. They get to vote if Nathan will get to be an agent for the mission. If they vote no, Nathan will be their pilot and they will have the best chance to make it out alive. If they vote yes and Nathan is killed, their chance of escape is very low.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:14:28 am by Fikes »

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2012, 12:27:55 am »

I'm in!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2012, 12:39:50 am »

In, obviously. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

I'll have to think about the Nathan bit, but as of now I'm leaning towards no. What does it entail, exactly, mechanically?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2012, 01:11:10 am »

I am emphatically IN. Hell yes. If I die, I still have a couple of clones, yeah?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2012, 01:16:24 am »

I didn't do a great job of explaining it, but the last mission is to destroy the buildings that make the dimension gates possible. It is more or less a mission to blow up the bridge you came in on.

The way we are playing it here, the gates can only last a minute after they are destroyed. If the gates can only last a minute, everyone will need to GTFO as soon as the building is disabled. Once they are out, they will need a crack pilot to get them through the gate before it collapses.

There is a chance some of the crafts won't make it through. Anyone on those crafts won't survive the LP.

Nathan, if he is to stay pilot, will fly the highest ranking people in. That craft will have the best chance to make it out. If you 4, the highest ranking, decide to let him fight on the ground and he dies, your craft will have the lowest chance to make it out.

In the end (tomorrow) I'll right the update as normal, up until the point the building is destroyed. Then, instead of a final "week in review" I right the final "interlude", all though that is completely the wrong word... I guess it will have to be an epilogue. In that epilogue everyone gets to find out what happens in the seconds after victory.

All of this will be more-or-less for RP purposes. Lots of people are better at humor in LPs than I am, I don't mind my LPs being a little dark.

In the game, if I remember correctly, as soon as you win the last mission  you get a great little cutscene of an aircraft exiting the gate at the last second. If only it were that easy. Also, again I haven't won in a long time, I believe you are kicked right out to the title screen. You can't continue even if you want to. The LP is over at that point, with a few RP/story bits to make us all sleep soundly at night. As a side note, I will have to pause the mission just before victory to get the final stats.

On the subject of Nathan:
A few updates ago, I named a random rookie "Nathan Davis" and set him to train. Storyline wise I like to pretend Anja trained him up and helped him practice up until the point she died. Not long after her death the air war was won and Nathan felt like dead weight. When Eucherer died unexpectedly it furthered his resolve. The war doesn't need pilots any more, it needs soldiers.

But lets face it, this is naive. Pilots are exactly what we need. We have tons of bad ass agents, we have very few great pilots. On the other hand, can you tell someone who was so instrumental to our victory that their only job is to help us retreat?

I don't know. You tell me.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 14, 2012, 03:25:03 am »

If he wants to fight, he can fight in my squad. I'm definitely up for this mission.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2012, 03:36:01 am »

We're picking agents for the final battle in the alien dimension? I'm in.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 14, 2012, 03:02:08 pm »

May I see Bulldogger's stats?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 14, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »

I'm kinda no voting, since I died I while ago, but my undead vote goes for Nathan to fight.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19