Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: DF Talk: Playstyles and You  (Read 74311 times)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Talk: Playstyles and You
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2012, 09:01:58 pm »

branches breaking under my adventurer's feet, pangs of pain from the cold, and small snickers from the wolves waiting for a mid-day meal. HGNG+GGNGNGGGNGGNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

AWESOME I NEED THIS NOW

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2012, 02:13:23 am »

I would have to say that I fit in all three categories. First off, I mainly play Fortress Mode, so we'll start there. I usually focus on treating the game like an RTS by building up a usable economy (simulationist). When a year or so goes by, I use my extra dwarves to construct elaborate works of architecture (constructionist). I then proceed to have some FUN by building elaborate traps and whatnot and "testing" them (gamist). Eventually, I scrap the fort and start a new one, but I apply what I have learned from the previous one (Here's a new gamer type for ya- Researchist). Also, I occasionally play Adventure mode (and attempt) to find my fort and (hopefully) come across some badass armor or something, but so far, I haven't had any luck. :(   

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 03:34:41 am »

Constructionist (mod stuff into the game, make it more awesome) and gamist (seek battle and bloodshed). Simulationist stuff is nice, but some of it just adds flavour to the game and nothing more.

AKA all the different gibbons and parrots are useless to me. But diplomacy ? Army arc ? Realistic sieges ? Hell yes !

Alanbato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2012, 06:44:24 pm »

I think I don't fit in any of those. But I think I can be considered a Simuli-thatclass.  :-\

I'm not a gamist, since I don't like challenge that much, I'm not a Hardcore gamer. Scores and achievements are not my main goal.

I'm not a Contrustor either, since I don't focus on aesthetics, I like my fortresses to be efficient, production-wise, so I can grow into a Huge-ass fortress that bursts enemies as soon as they come nearby, being the leader in economy and shooting at the most populationw without having too many unhappy dwarves.

I like having my fort running smoothly, but I do not care about the Roleplaying aspect much, yes, some times it's fun to follow a single dwarf through his life, or maybe name them all. But that is not my main gameplay. So I don't think I consider myself your concept of Simulitanionitsts.

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2012, 06:36:22 pm »

Definitely Simulationist. I'm always on the look out for realistic fantasy games/media/whatever (if that makes sense), so Dwarf Fortress is like a dream game for me.
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2012, 07:40:09 pm »

I'm not really sure what I'm in. I would say I'm gamist, but I'm not hardcore in the slightest, and I would like to say I'm a constructor or a simulationist, but I feel I have to understand how to make a thriving fort before trying to do megaprojects and roleplay my adventurer/my dorfs.

I guess I play like any other game, except there is actually the potential of trying playstyles like constructor and simulationist, while other games are either built for gamists, 'sandbox' games are often either for having fun with your friends or constructor play, and I have yet to see a game legitimately for simulationist, aside from roguelikes and (some) D&D groups.

So basicly I'm a Master-of-none.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2012, 10:27:03 pm »

I'm kind of an all three guy.

Gamist: I like being able to 'win', but DF already provides small scale 'wins' all the time.  I killed that whole camp! The magma isn't leaking! But I don't know what a good Win condition would be without limiting the game.

Simulationist: I love it when I get a migrant missing an eye (true story), or when one of my dorfs complains cuz she had to feed a patient in the hospital.  It makes them real to me, and it makes DF immersive. I'd love it if my engraver engraved pictures of his favorite things all over his room, and then more generic stuff in the hall, and battles in the barracks.

Constructionist: It is my new life goal to make a massive Above/Below ground fortress with huge towers and a mighty temple surrounded by multiple ring walls and moats.  Currently, that's a bit beyond my ability, but its part of the challenge of Dwarf Fortress for me.  Can you build a functioning fortress?  Can you build an aesthetically pleasing fortress?  Can you build a City Fortress with color coded districts and mosaics in the walkways?  If not, well losing is fun, and trying again is even funner.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2012, 10:42:17 am »

I'm mostly a Gamist.  I'm here to see the content that the game provides, explore it, and hone my abilities on it.  My ultimate goal is a fortress with each individual industry fully functioning to maximum and a perfect military.  Of course, that has echoes of constructionism, too.  I don't like megaconstructions that aren't functional, but functional ones are what keep me hooked.  I tend to build complex plumbing systems of both the cold and hot variety.

Badger Beater

• Bay Watcher
  • Bushtit women, you say???
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2012, 07:51:01 am »

Simulationist, I suppose. The random stories that can play out in this ASCII world bring the game to life in a way that no mechanics will for a long time. Even when I'm taking a break from DF, get me a good succession game with in-character journals, or just any good story that will inevitably be both hilarious and epic, and I'm hooked instantly.

Still, for me it's having your dwarves valiantly swarm a giant cave spider only to meet sticky ends, your fort surviving with one child and then rebuilding from scratch, managing to actually catch the same cave spider a while later and plan its fate, all the while building an ice castle on the usually-frozen sea outside the glacier you landed on and training your crossbowdwarves on yetis who've wandered into your fantastic death-pit. Which is, I suppose, a mix of all three anyway.

and then watching helplessly as your master weaponsmith dies while trying to reclaim a sock from his dead son during a giant toad attack, my god why didn't I forbid everything in time oh lord

blaster339

• Bay Watcher
  • Why did the chicken REALLY cross the road?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2013, 06:07:28 am »

Yes, this is an old post but I want to reply :P
When it comes to DF I just want to make...like the game's goal, a lively dwarven city
So that'll lead me to simulationist and constructionalist
Although if DF was a war game, I would've already tricked all the merchants that came in and waged war on evey single civilization

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2013, 08:00:07 am »

Oh sweet this old thread :D

Constructionist here. Though I haven't reached the legendary skillfulness of some people. I haven't been able to connect to my dwarves, but that one post retro made a long time ago about fortress design and creativeness really went to my heart. I've since tried to avoid the 3x3 UP/DOWN stairway of centrality. Leading me towards the builder style.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]