Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Towns 0.42 is out fifth of march 2012  (Read 51078 times)

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Towns 0.42 is out fifth of march 2012
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:00:48 am »

Post to the news topic: http://www.townsgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

Hello everyone, we are going directly to 0.42 without stopping by 0.41 due to the fact that IndieRoyale gave us a lot of time to continue working. We didn't stop for a single moment and therefore have twice the amount of stuff jammed into a single patch to show for!
Besides everything in the previous 0.41 patch that was previously discussed, you can look forward quite a few new things, such as fully animated walk cycles for all citizens, isometric slopes and altitude (which is actually taken into account when displacing water or lava for example), and new liquid values.
Another cool feature you should be expecting in a hot-fix soon is that citizens will be able to raise and lower terrain features using mud! This will let you guys build all sorts of cool valleys and mountains for you to defend!
Couple all of this, with the content in 0.41, and we have a fantastic little update!
Here is a change-log for both 0.41, as well as 0.42 to look through!

Add: Priorities panel (F3)
Add: Roads (living entities walk faster here)
Add: Animations for living entities
Add: TTF Font
Add: Heightmap a-la Transport Tycoon
Add: Food values on food items tooltip
Add: Save options
Add: Use of user folder for savegames and options
Add: New special values for map generation (_WATER_1_, _WATER_INF_, LAVA_1_, LAVA_INF_)
Remove: Barracks (now everybody can be a soldier!)
Remove: Transition tiles
Change: Speed of living entities reduced
Change: Stockpile points are removed if you place a zone over it
Change: Turns to build thing on benches changed to 70% if a roof is present
Change: Turns to build thing on benches changed to 85% if the builder is underground
Change: Warning "Sure to exit without save?" panel
Change: Water system uses slopes now
Change: Faster seeds at map generation (so the game starts early)
Fix: Enemies won't try to break opened doors
Fix: Crash when build a building only with doors
Fix: Prefix/suffix percentages are set to 5% again
Fix: Little improvement in the minimap render routine
Fix: Improved a little the save/load game performance
Fix: Item issues when delete the zone under it
Fix: Lag if no mats when build a building
Fix: Draw the roofs/big items (ie. trees) when his base is outside the screen
Fix: Citizens recalculate their path if while they are following it other citizens blocks the path with walls
Fix: Minor graphic glitches

As for content, hit-points, defense, and attack have been revamped, as well as armor making you slower.
Farms for each of the new animals that have been introduced, as well as new and improved food types.
There are a few new animals as well, and the inclusion of roads (that actually serve a purpose). Only wheat farms require tilled soil, and stockpiles no longer look like green goo!
There are, of course, all sorts of other little things but we want you guys to find the goodies out on your own!
Happy gaming!

-SMP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnrFC7N-0oA

New towns 0.42 youtube video!

Yep, we have height now...

The new cooking fire, used as an intermediate cooking area.

A new intermediate armor set (guess what it's made of!)

Brownies in their village!

Hello everyone. We are proud to announce the release of Towns version 0.39. The demo is currently available at www.townsgame.com
Here is the changelog:
Version 0.40
Version 0.40

Add: Content (enemies, items, terrain types)
Add: Transition tiles
Add: Height!
Add: Directions for livings
Add: Grid feature
Add: Grid, pause and settings icons on the UI
Add: Doors can be opened/locked/unlocked
Add: <speedUpPCT> tag to items. This tag can speed up (or down) the production time
Add: Max age for enemies and some can spawn into other living entity when they die this way
Add: Military items tooltips with information about the stats
Change: <move> tag to queues can now be used with multiple targets (like the <pick> tag)
Change: After placing a wall, citizens search for an area with other citizens (to not get stuck on a non-door building/wall)
Change: APS now looks at benches + items to know how many tasks create in paralel
Change: Subdivisions on menus
Change: Some item types changed
Change: Sieges are less deadly
Change: Removed the wall needed on all four sides when creating a zone
Change: Zones that have a roof speed up item production
Change: Roofs add happiness to citizens
Fix: Citizens getting stuck with some containers if you played with the enable/disable feature
Fix: Citizens searching the best food on the whole map and not pick the best one from containers/stockpiles
Fix: APS issue with multi<pick> tasks (like the mountain stew)
Fix: Locked items placed under a ladder no longer locks the ladder
Fix: Crash when you use the mouse wheel on main menu
Fix: Minor bug fixes and some perfomance improvements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i4sawbzrIw&list=UUmmnWWTv8yzEYen85QIbiQw&index=1&feature=plcp

We recently made a video showcasing the new features of the latest version of our game Towns.
We expect to release it within the upcoming days.
-Auto equipping was a feature not touched upon in the video-
Kind Regards
SMP

We are also finalists in the indie game of the year awards!
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=20691.msg661965#msg661965

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6wumOmHWOg

-Alexander Poysky
(Towns Team)

Hello everyone, Alex here.

Many of you might know me as the guy who posts occasional reviews for indie games on this board. I've also helped judge one of Hemmingjay's awesome giveaways.

As of late, I have made mention of possibly forming a part of a larger project, and let you all know that once that day rolled around and I had something to say I would do so, well.

I am now officially the Lead Designer and head of Public Relations for the game Towns. We are currently forming a two-man studio, and I have decided to re-make this topic in another guise in order to get a feel for what you guys, the potential hardest to please players might want.

It'll be my job from now on to transmit those ideas to the programmer, who will try his hardest to make the game you want to play, not just the one we want to (someday) sell.

-Alex
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:56:38 pm by alexpoysky »
Poysky Productions

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW official Towns thread. (New Lead Designer / PR)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:53:56 am »

I know there is another thread,  but it would convenient if ya could post a to your project in this one also.
Thank you based dwarf.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:55:16 am »

Wow, that was a massive oversight on my behalf, I'm very sorry! Let me get it up right away, thanks!
Poysky Productions

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 11:52:19 pm »

Will the game be just for Windows or will it extend to Mac and/or Linux?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 04:12:55 am »

First off. Sorry for this format,  I have no internet other than my phone due to unforseen circumstances in my new house.

With regards to the linux/mac port,  while we DO intend on having one down the road, we are a two man studio with few resources as it is. Once we get the general scheme of things, we can focus on adecuately porting the game.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but rest assured we are trying to find a way to get something set up sometime in the concievable future.

-Alex
Poysky Productions

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 11:49:02 am »

Hey man, suerte! good luck on the new studio. i hope your addition to the force will bring nothing but good results.

i have a few suggestions regarding the P.R:

Include pictures or youtube clips to accompany the periodical update posts.

Since your biggest USP (Unique selling proposition) is the isometric graphics, integrate better sprites made by the community in the official versions. i am mainly referring SirHoder's great entities/workshops and deon's environment tiles. i think it is just a no brainer to put them in the game officially as it will encourage said artists and maybe others to contribute as well, seeing how their work bear fruits.

A development road map.

And i would love if the game got attention via other channels like indiedb, indiegames, tigsource and such.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:12:18 pm »

All of your pointd are both valid and cherished friend. I will prepare a series of lets play videos as soon as I get a decent internet connection. Using my cellphone at the moment. With regards to tigsource exposure abd other mediums. Well, lets get the game to a more polished stte first!

With regards to your wanting to integrte better graphical designs, I have a few ideas regarding hpw to do so. Let me mull them over and pop you guys a series of questions within the week.
Keep these awesome questions coming guys!
- Alex
Poysky Productions

supermalparit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Towns devblog
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »

Will the game be just for Windows or will it extend to Mac and/or Linux?

Hi,

the game is being coded in java. One of the advantages is that it is multi-platform. Regretfully we currently do not have the means with which to test it on non-windows platforms.
On the other hand, we have confirmed that Linux users have gotten it to work on.

Since your biggest USP (Unique selling proposition) is the isometric graphics, integrate better sprites made by the community in the official versions. i am mainly referring SirHoder's great entities/workshops and deon's environment tiles. i think it is just a no brainer to put them in the game officially as it will encourage said artists and maybe others to contribute as well, seeing how their work bear fruits.

Hi again SirHoder,

thanks so much for all of your kind suggestions. We value your opinion greatly, and have decided to use your cover because its really great! (As you remember you gave me permissipn to do so)
About Deon, he is currently quite occupied and as such has decided to not join forces with us for the time being.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 04:50:41 pm »

Ok, I am just now finally able to get a more or less constant connection to the internet. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions or take any content-related advice to heart.

Suggest away friends!
Poysky Productions

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 08:29:39 am »

Yep, my goddamn jobs leave no time for serious hobbies let alone enough sleep! Just look at the genesis thread, I used to update my mod almost everyday, and now it lays in stasis... Once I sort out my life a bit I will definitely try to help more, and you are free to use the existing tiles I've made :)

P.S. I use my mobile phone in toilet during coffee breaks to post on bay12games forums.. What have I become?..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:31:32 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 09:46:23 am »

Just watching this thread. Pretty good game you have going here.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 11:11:24 am »

Thank you guys very much for the props! The best way to show your support at this time would be to suggest this game to your friends and join us on our facebook page!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/283334488362764/

Within the next month we will be adding a GREAT deal of content, as well as popping up the  biggest surprise to date. Let's just say it is what will change this game's concept from a DF like, to a DF inspired game that diverges into it's own territory. We are hard at work preparing it, and I don't want to spoil anything just yet!

Deon, don't worry it's perfectly understandable, trust me. I'm a soldier, a psychologist, a writer, and a game dev. Thank god I have ADHD or I wouldn't be able to cope!

-Alex
Poysky Productions

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 12:37:21 pm »

Nifty. Posting to follow this thread, since it sounds like the old one is being phased out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 01:36:14 pm »

Phased out isn't exactly the word. As supermalparit isn't a native english speaker, he has delegated the task of speaking on behalf of our little studio. If you want to drop by our facebook we have the latest public build and a few videos, and I am currently hosting a chat with anyone who would like to speak with the devs about questions or coments.

Rest assured we take everything into consideration when making the game, ESPECIALLY your opinions!
Poysky Productions

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW official Towns thread. (New Lead Designer / PR) NEW FACEBOOK PAGE
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 03:23:13 pm »

Glad to see this taking off. I know Alex will be a huge addition to the project. Looking forward to the content next month.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21