Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam coming to Linux (for real this time)  (Read 4147 times)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam coming to Linux (for real this time)
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:21:31 pm »

You may remember last year around this time there was a huge story about Steam and a bunch of Source games coming to Linux.  Valve later came out and quashed these rumors, but it turns out they've been busy. 

A few weeks ago, Valve began sending out emails to prominent members of the Linux community, looking for help debugging some OpenGL performance issues.  They also invited Michael Larabel from Phoronix, the Linux news blog that infamously jumped the gun last year, to visit ValveHQ.

That visit took place today, and apparently they have a client and games up and running.  Michael Larabel is doing a writeup as we speak, but has already tweeted a little bit about it, and has been talking in his irc channel.  Details are still a bit sketchy, but I think it's safe to say it's actually happening.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam coming to Linux (for real this time)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:30:32 pm »

This news is the epitome of meh

E: For me (better?)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:06:20 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

aaron32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:57:57 am »

Actually, It's quite big for people who like to game and use linux.
(Probably Ex)Admin on Urist McStation, A space station 13 server.
Link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123140.0

It's pretty cool. Check it out.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:55:04 am »

Awesome!

time to stop using Wine (it performs rather badly for me in Wine).
Now to configure my install to use hardware acceleration... *puts medical gloves on*
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:56 am »

That visit took place today, and apparently they have a client and games up and running.  Michael Larabel is doing a writeup as we speak, but has already tweeted a little bit about it, and has been talking in his irc channel.  Details are still a bit sketchy, but I think it's safe to say it's actually happening.

He actually already posted the writeup, not sure why he tweeted that it would be up later (unless he just never got around to tweeting it would be up)
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1

Will be nice if enough devs have Linux support (unlikely for non-indies I guess) that I can drop my windows machine completely.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:17:00 am »

Actually, It's quite big for people who like to game and use linux.

yeah, I imagine the two of them trowing a party and getting high

(I kid, I kid)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:13 am »

yeah, I imagine the two of them trowing a party and getting high
(I kid, I kid)

:)

Based on the humble bundle stats it's about 10-15% of the market. Of course the group that pays for indie games is only a small percentage in and of itself.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:00 am »

Why do I believe this story less and less the more the phoronix guy posts?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:36:56 am »

You should really not believe at phoronix, they're obsessed with ads revenie and will publish the slightiest rumor if they think it's good for page views

But internet says a source engine is ready for linux, and that the last move to include indie and coffee breakers was part of the grand strategy to come to linux without an empty store

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:59:04 pm »

You should really not believe at phoronix, they're obsessed with ads revenie and will publish the slightiest rumor if they think it's good for page views

But internet says a source engine is ready for linux, and that the last move to include indie and coffee breakers was part of the grand strategy to come to linux without an empty store
I believe valve is working on something, I just don't think Micheal is telling us the entire story.  Everything he posts seems to be misleading or evasive. 

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 03:04:59 pm »

Please please please please please let this be true. I would love to actually be able to use steam again, if only to talk to people. Linux can play 75% of the games I want to play, which is still more games than I have free time, so I'm good there, but would love to get on steam chat.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 03:15:02 pm »

Please please please please please let this be true. I would love to actually be able to use steam again, if only to talk to people. Linux can play 75% of the games I want to play, which is still more games than I have free time, so I'm good there, but would love to get on steam chat.
Steam actually works pretty well under the latest version of wine.  Give that a shot.  That's how I chat with my friends under linux half the time.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 03:30:06 pm »

Awesome!

time to stop using Wine (it performs rather badly for me in Wine).
Now to configure my install to use hardware acceleration... *puts medical gloves on*
I believe they coded their own version of wine.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:38 am »

Really? where did you see information about that?
It's possible they would do something along those lines to increase support for other titles they sell but the source engine (and so associated games) looks to have been ported to Linux.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 02:46:18 pm »

Really? where did you see information about that?
It's possible they would do something along those lines to increase support for other titles they sell but the source engine (and so associated games) looks to have been ported to Linux.
Well going off the idea since they use DOSBox for all of their DOS games.