Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Towns 0.42 is out fifth of march 2012  (Read 51089 times)

supermalparit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Towns devblog
Re: Towns : 0.35 releases 11/11/11
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2011, 02:48:27 pm »

just pre-ordered it. Thanks for your hard work guys.

Thanks to you Hemmingjay!

Personally I hugged 2 puppies and a kitten as we promised in our pre-order page :P

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »

It was a purely selfish move on my part. I need to see where you are taking this game and to do that I had to pre-order to be sure it gets done. I approve of the animal loving, errrr, wait.........
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2011, 02:30:04 am »

Exuse the dumb question but this game has a heavy amount of Dwarf Fortress code in it right ? What conditions exist for the  copywrite agreement with the DF guys.
Why does this sounds like a angry past hacker that used DF code himself and caused a shitstorm of a lifetime?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2011, 03:32:30 am »

Uhh, is there a reason you think it's him, or was this just a spur of the moment thing?

I know someone did it, and it wasn't a good thing,  but it's still kind've bad form to run around accusing people of things without proof.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2011, 09:12:37 am »

Especially when the accusations themselves are outright ridiculous. 

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2011, 10:07:46 am »

Downloaded this and had a play around. Looks interesting.

Some questions/observations. I assume that a good deal of these are already in your plans for the future.

Really needs some kind of indication to not go to the tutorials on the current download as they are broken(no options on the menubar besides return to main menu)

It takes a long while to create/load a game, should probably put a loading/creating text displayed when one has been clicked, as I initially thought it had frozen up.

Is it possible to toggle between the high walls and the shorter ones in your signature pic? While the tall ones look good for town walls, they block sight of most of the interior of small rooms. Ideally you would be able to pick which walls were shortened.

I noticed that equipment has different properties, is this determined randomly when made or does each individual have a different skill level? If by skill then we would want the ability to assign individuals to a craft station.

Following on from this, we need a way to examine an items properties when it is on the ground/stockpile.

Need some organisational screens.
Population, showing individuals with their stats, equipment, assigned task etc.
Stocks, possibly just showing items that are stored in stockpiles and hence accounted for. Also show items stats for those that have them.
Production, showing all queued construction/crafting with the ability to cancel individual items.

Are there going to be limitations on the size of underground spaces before they risk collapse?

Any possibility to build upwards? Perhaps maximum height determined by the materials used as support in the lower floors?

Roads/interior flooring needed.

Need harvest added to the orders menu.

Mines need to be able to be rotated 90 degrees.

Dug dirt underground shouldn't turn to grass.

Charcoal. Having to stripmine entire levels to try and find coal is excessive. Make production somewhat wasteful so that you would prefer to find coal.

The menu bar is somewhat confusing.
Renaming 'Items' to 'Craft Items' and 'Item and place' to 'Place Items' would help clear this up. A few other changes would be, use Military instead of Militaries, Utilities instead of Utils(doesn't seem to be any need to save space, so why the contraction?), renaming 'Zones' to 'Zone Building' or 'Zone Room'

Trying to fit longer item names onto one line causing them to have a smaller font looks strange and makes it harder to read. Have them maintain the same font size and split into two lines instead.

On the sub menus you need to keep the name of the previous menu at the top, particularly as some share names with sub menus in other trees. So you would have
Code: [Select]
Craft Items
Military
Armors
Wooden Set
at the top of the list of wooden armors.

Hope to see another release once you have finished the transition to custom rooms.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2011, 11:19:30 am »

Those are some great ideas! I hope to see some of them implemented, especially a screen with the population to make things easier to manage.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2011, 02:28:39 pm »

Downloaded this and had a play around. Looks interesting.

Some questions/observations. I assume that a good deal of these are already in your plans for the future.

Really needs some kind of indication to not go to the tutorials on the current download as they are broken(no options on the menubar besides return to main menu)

It takes a long while to create/load a game, should probably put a loading/creating text displayed when one has been clicked, as I initially thought it had frozen up.

Is it possible to toggle between the high walls and the shorter ones in your signature pic? While the tall ones look good for town walls, they block sight of most of the interior of small rooms. Ideally you would be able to pick which walls were shortened.

I noticed that equipment has different properties, is this determined randomly when made or does each individual have a different skill level? If by skill then we would want the ability to assign individuals to a craft station.

Following on from this, we need a way to examine an items properties when it is on the ground/stockpile.

Need some organisational screens.
Population, showing individuals with their stats, equipment, assigned task etc.
Stocks, possibly just showing items that are stored in stockpiles and hence accounted for. Also show items stats for those that have them.
Production, showing all queued construction/crafting with the ability to cancel individual items.

Are there going to be limitations on the size of underground spaces before they risk collapse?

Any possibility to build upwards? Perhaps maximum height determined by the materials used as support in the lower floors?

Roads/interior flooring needed.

Need harvest added to the orders menu.

Mines need to be able to be rotated 90 degrees.

Dug dirt underground shouldn't turn to grass.

Charcoal. Having to stripmine entire levels to try and find coal is excessive. Make production somewhat wasteful so that you would prefer to find coal.

The menu bar is somewhat confusing.
Renaming 'Items' to 'Craft Items' and 'Item and place' to 'Place Items' would help clear this up. A few other changes would be, use Military instead of Militaries, Utilities instead of Utils(doesn't seem to be any need to save space, so why the contraction?), renaming 'Zones' to 'Zone Building' or 'Zone Room'

Trying to fit longer item names onto one line causing them to have a smaller font looks strange and makes it harder to read. Have them maintain the same font size and split into two lines instead.

On the sub menus you need to keep the name of the previous menu at the top, particularly as some share names with sub menus in other trees. So you would have
Code: [Select]
Craft Items
Military
Armors
Wooden Set
at the top of the list of wooden armors.

Hope to see another release once you have finished the transition to custom rooms.

Thank you very much for the input!
Although we have plans for almost everything you said, i can only address but a few things right now:

While-Loading tips will be implemented in the future.

You can hit Ctrl to set walls to be transparent allowing you to clearly see everything.

We will introduce a citizens experience/skill based system that will influence every behavior and task they do, from creating better weapons to bartering their price against the heroes and even to preferring spending time in the tavern rather than work.
citizens will have higher chance to do tasks that they are better at, so in time and skill progress, every citizen will have a profession that mostly he will do, but this will not be in the hands of the player. it is rather more like a social evolution thing.

we are also heavily considering having items progress: if we take "sting" from LoTR for example, that sword would have been probably translated to have a bonus like "+10 damage against orcs" and "glow when orcs are in 50 cells near".
right now we have a system that can randomly assign names to items and give them special bonuses. it is already in your version of the game.
but what else we were thinking of adding is that an item will gradually gain bonuses added to it relating to its achievements (killing orcs), thus generating what might be called "legendary weapons" by progression - this is still under internal debate though.

Roads and flooring will come sooner than later.

Harvest will be added to the orders menu when more in depth nutrition values and automatic food production lines will be in the game.

Mines will be built using the custom buildings system.

We are currently working on a graphical user interface which will address all of those problems. sneak peak pictures of it will come soon.

Again, thank you very much for the feedback, those comments really encourage us and make us work twice as hard.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2011, 01:56:12 am »

Glad to see this is working out well. My thanks to Alex for the offer he gave me, but I'm more of a musician hobbyist than a coder, even if it's something I might be able to do if it's intuitive.

I hope you have success with this. I'll see if I can squeeze in a download and give you some feedback at some point, but I can't say when for sure.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

at10ti0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2011, 09:00:37 am »

You got mentioned by a known site ;)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/16/mayor-may-not-survive-towns/

Congratulation!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2011, 09:17:54 am »

This is an acknowledgement of the credibility this game has earned finally. It is it's own game, separate from it's DF inspiration now, and people are starting to appreciate it's charm. Congrats!

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:50 am »

You got mentioned by a known site ;)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/16/mayor-may-not-survive-towns/

Congratulation!

This confirmed my suspicion, The newly recruited Adam smith is just awesome.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2011, 11:29:05 am »

Just had a crash to desktop after playing for 4-5 hours. No unusual actions were (as far as I am aware) ongoing at the time.

contents of the error log below
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A couple of other bugs that I noticed while playing

Fruit trees don't appear to ever regrow, and they seem to randomly disappear so after a couple of months in there are none.

Walls randomly canceling with the error message 'need masons bench' when there is an operational masons bench.

If a wall has been created to fullfill a place item order and is being carried to be placed, then is dropped as the worker decides they need to eat or sleep, then fairly regularly another worker will craft a new wall to go in the same spot ignoring the dropped wall. The dropped wall will be used for fullfilling future place orders.

Had an error that I have not yet been able to reproduce of having built the shell of a large building, turning on the transparency and using place wall orders to plan out the interior, when cancelling the place wall orders left the blue order boxes in place, although the orders were canceled and no wall built.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2011, 12:01:45 pm »

Grats on the RPS article.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2011, 01:05:08 pm »

Just came in to say congratulations on the RPS article! Keep it up.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21