Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vegan fortress?  (Read 5938 times)

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
Vegan fortress?
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:36:37 am »

I embarked on my first fortress near a human town, with the naive idea that maybe MY BESTEST FRENDS THE HUMANS WILL PROTEKT MY DORF FORT FRUM TEH GOBLINZ. My cousin soon broke the news to me that it had a barely noticeable effect on raids if any. I had taken allot of compromises to be right next to this flippin town. Notably I built on top of an aquafier (an extremely derp move, I know. I managed to dig around the damn thing but it took a while.) but most notably is a message that keeps popping up under announcements, something I didn't know would happen from the embark screen.

There's nothing to catch in the southeastern swamps

I have a rather large year round cave farm going, so meat isn't much of an issue for me, but does this mean that my hunter and butcher should be reassigned to a new job?
Does this mean my Dorfs are going to have to do the very undorfly thing of being vegetarians?

note: there is wildlife, but it consists of horses and one humped camels. I'm not THAT much of a noob to think I can hunt them without my dwarfs getting splattered on the hills by hooves with the force of a train.
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vegan fortress?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:43:40 am »

Hunters (the civilian job, with crossbows) sneak while hunting, so the only danger comes from goblins/other invaders. That said, it's perfectly fine for your dwarves to live on Plump Helmets and Quarry Bush leaves roasts
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:02:05 am »

You can breed animals for meat or trade for it from the caravans.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 10:42:55 am »

I almost always live off of almost entirely plump helmets during my first year, unless I decided to spare the points and spawn with an alpaca pair, in which case I also live off of cheese (which is vegetarian rather than vegan).
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 11:05:27 am »

I either live of strawberries and prickle berries, or on the meat of fallen foes (modded ethics) and various boozes.  Currently, Df only recognizes two diets.  Carnivores/Bonecarns who only eat meat/bones, and grazers who only eat grass (sometimes a specific type of grass).  Cows, alpaca, sheep, etc, all eat grass.  Tigermen, I think Kobolds, and probably some evil creatures only eat meat/bones.  Dwarves can subsist entirely on violent purple mushrooms their entire lives.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 11:13:18 am »

Violet, you mean.  I hope they're not violent mushrooms...
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 11:16:07 am »

Violent. ಠ_ಠ

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 11:34:34 am »

(violent purple) mushrooms, or violent (purple mushrooms) ?

Kentti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:44:55 am »

(violent purple) mushrooms, or violent (purple mushrooms) ?

How about !!violent, violent purple mushrooms!!.
You know, with:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:48:04 am »

To answer the question of "There is nothing to catch in the southeastern swamps," it means that your fisher(s) has/have been trying, unsuccessfully, to catch vermin fish from murky pools in the southeastern (lower-right, on your computer screen) portion of your embark.

And no, a vegetarian diet is perfectly fine for dwarves. Heck, in theory you could have dwarves that subsist off of horse eyeballs and water, and nothing else, for their entire lives!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:43 pm »

Thanks for the advice everyone, glad to know this wont impact gameplay that much.  :)
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 03:02:51 pm »

Girlinhat means the Plump Helmetmen in the caves will feed your dwarves, assuming you can catch them...
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 03:11:36 pm »

Although I always thought the Plump Helmet men were supposed to be rather weak and cowardly.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 03:15:36 pm »

DF doesn't *yet* model scurvy and other nutritional deficiencies -- only starvation and dehydration.  It does model being sick of always eating the same thing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »

No, I'm referring to regular old violent mushrooms.  You know, it's just a loud food...
Pages: [1] 2