Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning is hard...  (Read 873 times)

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning is hard...
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:38:05 pm »

The inside of the fortress is fine, but the entrance and outside is much, much worse. Stuff everywhere, bodyparts and broken bolts from several ambushes and 25 years of in-game time. The bug that prevents assigning new bins to stockpiles doesnīt help the matter. Anyway, Iīm atomsmashing and selling gear and bodyparts, which deals with most of it, but it doesnīt work for everything. I have a lot of goblin and animal bodyparts left lying around outside, mostly partial skeletons, and I canīt dump them. Stockpiling works to a degree, but it only moves the bodyparts, it doesnīt destroy them. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this?
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning is hard...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:41:44 pm »

You should be able to dump them. Are your dwarves set to gather refuse from outside?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:43:12 pm »

The bug that prevents assigning new bins to stockpiles doesnīt help the matter.
Wait, what? There is no bug that prevents assigning new bins to stockpiles - if you've got empty bins that aren't being assigned to stockpiles, it's because you set the "Reserved Bins" number in the stock[p]ile menu to a nonzero number (i.e. you explicitly told the game to stop assigning them).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »

DFhack.

Cleanmap, removes splatter
Select everything you want dumping, autodump in the console to teleport it all onto one tile. Magma is useful at this point.

Seriously. If you want to get some cleaning done (As i do, keeps fps up) i would say just cheat like this. If not...well. It's going to take a while.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:03:46 pm »

After searching around the forum a bit, I finally checked orders, apparently my dwarves didnīt gather refuse from outside, so that is fixed.

About the binproblem, major facepalm, I didnīt know that I had 100 bins reserved. Iīve been going 10 in-game years using bins in only a few stockpiles. Thanks for pointing that one out.

All my problems are fixed, and my FPS jumped by 30 to celebrate, joy!
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:10:33 pm »

Designate, Orders, Restricted.  Cover the entire surface of your map, and then Normal over your fort in case you set any of it as restricted.  This will cause dwarves to avoid pathing through the surface, so when your dwarf is moving from the surface trade depot to the underground goods stockpile (aka, your hauler is carrying bins) then the dwarf won't path outside every time.  You should see some amount of FPS increase, depending on how close you are to the surface.  Same applies to caverns.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 09:14:09 pm »

Iīm actually have most of my fort on the surface. I use strictly one way to everything to avoid pathing multiple times, but they all connect on my big courtyard, so thereīs a lot of pathing those 15 steps they take from one surface entrance to another. Might have to do some traffic designations there, once Iīve cleaned away all the stuff in my too large stockpiles