Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dungeonbuilding for Adventure mode thread!  (Read 2850 times)

MightyJAK

• Bay Watcher
  • MightyJAK makes his own gravy.
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress DONE countdown
Re: Dungeonbuilding for Adventure mode thread!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 03:14:29 pm »

Bumping to express my interest. VERY much interested in running my adventurers through some player-made dungeons.

I've been spending all day trying to gen one that seems appropriate for wandering adventurers and just settled for a big island continent
I think it might be better to use a a smaller/pocket island/region. Reason: Less walking distance for the adventurer to reach the player-made dungeons. Even better, if it is used as a succession world, give the dungeonbuilders the rule to make each embark slightly overlap a previous embark, and it could be feasible to have the ENTIRE REGION built into a giant, continuous dungeon to explore. Just imagine..

You could make them live in towns.
This can have some odd effects. I genned a world with town dwelling-kobolds, and they refused to build "residential" hovels, every building in their towns was a shop. Food shops, mostly.
Quote from: Toady One
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
Quote from: Demon
But when will the game be done!?
Eight years.
So Dwarf Fortress will be done on Friday, September 14, 2012.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 03:49:39 pm »

Would that work?  Can you use a hack to embark overlapping a previous (abandoned) embark or do many many things break?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 04:05:01 pm »

ENTIRE REGION built into a giant, continuous dungeon to explore. Just imagine..
I can see it now... giant green glass towers... food stockpiles filled with rot... magma flooding the land ... all of it menacing with spikes of awesome... it has to happen!

Supporting this. Count me in to the succession project.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 04:08:48 pm »

DFHack, no.  But another program, EmbarkAnywhere, allows you to set a fort down on abandoned forts, on cities/forest retreats/towers/etc, and on mountains and in oceans.  Insta-drowning may kill your fort, but it's still possible to throw away seveon lives.

As luck would have it, I was inspired by ASCIt's recent thread.  I'm going to find an upright Fun Stick, build a tiny fort around it, and use that as an adventurer's "base of operations".  It will be Lair'd via DFHack so no items scatter around, and be made entirely out of slade, by ramping under the Fun Stick Box and managing to chip away some slade boulders.  Or it will be cornered with slade, if I can't gather enough.  Then I'll danger-room an adventurer, and run through this max size 500 year world, killing everything and returning the skulls to the constructed chests and bins laying about the little fort.  After some time, I expect to have endless piles of skulls and prepared hearts and corpses just jammed into endless boxes.

And then I will add HFS skulls to the mix.
Pages: 1 [2]