Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Age of Twilight  (Read 3698 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Age of Twilight
« on: October 08, 2011, 08:46:00 pm »

So, in the middle of dealing with a seige [no combat yet,setting up the battlefield in my favor], I get a random message 'The world has entered into The Twilight Age'.

Now, I know the Twilight Age is something like, there are no real super powers anymore, the civilizations have failed or are crumbling...

But now see, what? I thought the world pretty much was frozen in time around me, minus what goes on in my embark area? Did a world-wide war go down without me noticing?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Twilight
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »

Chances are your dwarven civ was almost dead and the civ your fighting sent the last of its people, at least thats what i can see.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:48:29 pm »

Did you kill a titan/FB/& close to the time of the change?

I've never seen it, but I've read that the age can change change during fort mode if you kill enough FBs/titans. Also, I'm pretty sure it would change if it was "The age of &", & attacked your fort, and you killed &.

Maybe killing an important historical figure from the sieging civ could cause it to change, too, if it was "the age of <race>" before hand?

Any idea what age it was before the change?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:58:43 pm »

Yeah, it was the age of... something, and the marsh titan.

And come to think of it, I had two big beasties in my base... one trapps in a hallway to deal with at a later datew, the other trolling the caverns. In the same year, I took my rebuilt military [there's a reason I didn't deal with them immediately] and took one out, then the other. The age didn't change til Spring but  I assume that's normal.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 10:22:30 pm »

Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 11:44:47 pm »

Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.
Sigged.
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:22:51 am »

I don't suppose you could post the world gen info and the megabeasts you killed for the age of twilight thing? There's a thread from the last couple of days on trying to enter an "Age of Death" scenario from world gen from Svet someone. I'm having enough trouble getting a twilight age let along an actual death age, so a world that is at maximum two steps off it might be a handy starting point. Then let another 9,000 years roll by and hope.......

-50 degrees urist might help too on the world gen. We might not be able to be tinker it to death, but by the gods, we'll try.
It's a game. Have fun.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 04:16:27 pm »

I've never seen it, but I've read that the age can change change during fort mode if you kill enough FBs/titans. Also, I'm pretty sure it would change if it was "The age of &", & attacked your fort, and you killed &.

As far as I know, this only applies to the Age of Myth, the Age of Heroes, and the Age of <insert the 1-3 last megabeasts(s) names/titles here>. The other ages all refer to the world population in various regards and the civilizations that are dominating it. If a.) another race was "winning" and you slaughtered a horde leaving them on equal footing with the rest, or b.) sent countless dwarves of your own civilization to their deaths, that might explain what you are seeing.

Also- to the best of my knowledge, the world does continue to generate at least some events either during or after fortress mode. I have observed examples of this in Legends mode when civilizations re-populated old sites or founded new ones during the same time as one of my active fortresses.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 05:25:55 pm »

The changes in age apply to ALL ages; it's just that power-based ages have precedence over all others. If the last megabeast's dying would bring the world into the twilight age during worldgen, then the last megabeast's dying will bring the world to the age of Twilight during Dwarf/Adventurer mode. It's the same for all other ages: golden age, age of elves, age of dwarves, etc.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 05:27:55 pm »

Ah, I ignored that possibility.  8)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 07:22:36 pm »

Age of Twilight (based on my experience with Age of Death ‼Science‼) is when there are few/no megabeasts and VERY few 'fantastic' creatures in general -- the Goblins and elves are weak and few in number compared to humans (and dwarves?), but no one race is predominant.

In worldgens, I've had worlds rapidly oscillate between "twilight" and "Fairy Tales" -- in Fairy Tales, the supernaturals are doing a BIT better than in twilight, because the returns to fairy tales seemed to be prompted by goblins kidnapping enough kids while the turns to twilight seemed to be prompted by goblins getting curb stomped in battle.

A step further is the "Age of Civilization" -- this is declared when there ARE no fantastic creatures and the criteria for "Age of the Dwarf" are not met (say, by dwarves not existing.  there appears to be no "Age of Humanity")

Civs can still be VERY powerful and very much alive in the Age of Twilight, but only if they're mortal civs.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.