Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Goblins, a force for good?  (Read 37330 times)

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins, a force for good?
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:13:40 pm »

Has it ever occured to anybody that the goblin snatchers may simply be trying to save dwarven children from the life of a dwarf fortress. I mean, sure goblins have some questionable ethics, but not nearly as bad as the things we do in dwarf fortresses...
It also applies to trying to siege for treasure. They may not be trying to steal dwarven treasure, they may just be trying to rid the world of the dwarven scourge.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins, a force for good?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:40:21 pm »

They force the stolen dwarves to shave their beards.

All goblins must be destroyed.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:46:26 pm »

It has been brought up so many times, the whole theory is nearly considered canon. Goblins save dwarves from fortresses, they don't kidnap, steal or capture children.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »

It is certainly the view the goblins themselves declare when put under heavy torture enhanced dwarven interrogation.

Of course, being goblins, such vile ways of twisting the truth are only expected of them. It seems probable that this lie is to cover up their true intentions of throwing a monkey-wrench in our programmes to make the children emotionless killing machines at age 12 or our attempts to weaponize babies for the glory of all dwarfdom.

Slay them and send the *Goblin Bone Bracelets* to the Mountainhome as tribute.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 01:09:11 pm »

Buggrem.  'Good' or 'evil' aren't that rock-hard. Even if the goblins think they're doing the miniature munchkins a favour by kidnapping them, they are still all too eager to just kill Dwarfs. Not to mention that the Dwarf parents don't want their child taken. So even if the goblins think they're being good, the parents of the kidnappees will inevitably consider them evil. Similarly, a Dwarf who has lost a child to a greenskin will think a goblin-slaying Dwarf is good, but the goblins wounded or slain or the goblins who lost friends and family to those Dwarf warriors will think the warriors are evil.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 01:46:49 pm »

I found this out a while ago, hence my signature.

FrisianDude may may be onto something though. What we could have going on here is that both races are trying to do what they think is the right thing, and those views simply conflict with each other.

Mayhap the dwarves don't mean to seem so cold and cruel, they are just trying to do what is best for the greater good of the mountainhomes. More utilitarians than sadists(though the fact they end up murdering each other by the dozens under our control probably doesn't help too much).

And maybe the goblins aren't trying to be so barbaric with their good-doing, it's just the only way they know. Goblins have never been known to be very bright. Despite their benevolent intentions, it's possible that the only way they know how to help is by taking away the little ones, and stabbing the mean adult ones in the face.

Hell, if the races understood each other a little better, i wouldn't be surprised if they became allies. And, in my opinion, a half goblin half dwarf fortress would be beyond badass.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:57:20 pm »

And this is why there's war.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 02:43:00 pm »

I don't believe that Goblins want to "save" dwarven children one bit. They seem perfectly happy murdering children and babies that happen to be in their way when they try an ambush or a siege.

I know I had to bury a baby in three pieces in my current fort thanks to goblin warriors (the mother managed to escape but the kid got murdered in her hands). I also know that feeding a child to your war elk birds isn't conducive to its health.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 03:12:36 pm »

Well.... it's not as if the goblins hacking Urist McInnocent to pieces is any worse than what we do the dwarves, is it?
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 03:19:21 pm »

I don't believe that Goblins want to "save" dwarven children one bit. They seem perfectly happy murdering children and babies that happen to be in their way when they try an ambush or a siege.

I know I had to bury a baby in three pieces in my current fort thanks to goblin warriors (the mother managed to escape but the kid got murdered in her hands). I also know that feeding a child to your war elk birds isn't conducive to its health.

I look at it as, they siege fortresses with the intention of wiping out all life within them, but before they do that, they send in snatchers to save as much of the children as possible.

If you think about it, it sort of makes sense. They're going to be murdering the child's entire family, slaughtering their pets, and destroying their home. It would be incredibly cruel to keep only the fortress children alive to cope with that, while kidnapped children will never even have to know it happened. It could very much be more of a mercy killing type thing

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 03:26:38 pm »

That is because Dwarven children and babies are still deadly if left uncontrolled. There are several stories on these forums about children taking on sieges and monsters by themselves and putting up one hell of a fight. The children calm down when they are put in bags, probably because the darkness makes them think they are at home, but siegers don't have such options. They either kill or get killed.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 03:35:08 pm »

I think the gobboes just wish to wipe out the filthy bearded ones for their crimes, but they know how useful a full-grown dwarven slave can be thanks to their mining and metalsmithing skills. Who knows, though, really?
Maybe the snatchers are sent in to save children from themselves, but when the goblins raid they are so worked up and berserk that they see no reason, they live only to spill blood? Possibly after ingesting hallucogenic substances to bring the favour of their gods. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »

I think the gobboes just wish to wipe out the filthy bearded ones for their crimes, but they know how useful a full-grown dwarven slave can be thanks to their mining and metalsmithing skills. Who knows, though, really?
Maybe the snatchers are sent in to save children from themselves, but when the goblins raid they are so worked up and berserk that they see no reason, they live only to spill blood? Possibly after ingesting hallucogenic substances to bring the favour of their gods. :P

Goblins on acid. Awesome.

Come to think of it, that would explain why their military tactics never seem to make much sense.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 10:10:24 pm »

Come to think of it, that would explain why their military tactics never seem to make much sense.

"All of our buddies are getting mauled by this deathtrap of a hallway, let's go in after them!"

Last words of a Goblin Swordsman.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 10:18:35 pm »

Maybe it's like Noah's ark and they want enough of every race that they can have a slave population after their demon gods bring about the end of the world?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21