Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]  (Read 85878 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2012, 02:39:53 pm »

Here's some placeholder stuff.
Tileset is upscaled (sadly) Bisasam, icons are mostly from Dustycraft and Mack's Refmap Tilesets.
These are used without permission of their original authors, only as placeholders.

And here's some up/down stairs and driftwood:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:05:54 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2012, 04:50:19 pm »

just posting so say this is downright amazing :-)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2012, 04:52:34 pm »

What should I do with the smooth walls? Keep them symbolic like that? Or just place one graphical icon for all smooth wall tiles for now?

This is it for now, most of those will be replaced by better versions once I get to see them in action (the style needs to be unified)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:54:37 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »

Man, this makes me want to make a version of stonesense that has the same view as DF. it wouldn't be hard, and you'd be able to have lots more stuff shown.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2012, 05:15:21 pm »

Haha, whoops, it just hit me that you probably wanted me to make a tileset according to tilesets.txt, not the standard DF tileset, right?
<3

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »

Are you planning on having more context sensitive tiles that work like walls currently do? It would be great for things like this.
Um. Haven't thought about this aspect. It would require some preprocessing, but I guess in the worst case I can make a hotkey to turn it off if FPS is hurt. Otherwise, I see no problem with this.
Nice to hear. It makes things look a lot more natural when used right.

This sounds fantastic. Are you planning on having more context sensitive tiles that work like walls currently do? It would be great for things like this.

You could then have ore that looks like it sits within the rock around it or even have rough stone walls overhang into open tiles.

Stonesense does have a limited version of this, but it only detects things like open space, ramps, walls, and stairs, so you can't have grass borders, but you can have platform borders.
Nice, I wasn't aware. I'm sorry to say that despite having started pixeling doing isometric stuff it's not my favourite perspective for gaming so I've not greatly looked into Stonesense. It seems like a lifetime ago that I did anything isometric. Here's the last building I did, it's a little cringeworthy looking through my old stuff; I think I could do a lot better now.

Man, this makes me want to make a version of stonesense that has the same view as DF. it wouldn't be hard, and you'd be able to have lots more stuff shown.
I'd love something like that. From what I've read this will end up somewhat like that when it's done.

Animating a river with proper directions is somewhat out of my area of expertise (I'm actually a noob when it comes to pixelart) but we'll see about it!.

I thought about something to show which direction the water is flowing, in a translucent way. No idea how to do it though.
You could do the same as default Minecraft. Have a nice animated texture and scroll it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2012, 09:29:07 am »

LX, I've just had a pretty good idea on textures+tinting- when there's a graphic tile and you want only some parts of it to receive tint (like a stone bookshelf- only the shelves should be tinted, not the books), could you try making it so that only pixels with 0 saturation (R=G=B) get tinted, while others are left unchanged?

This is, once again, for the future.

Another question: thinking of the avarage noob like me here- once the project is done, will you be able to include all the necessary libraries in the download so that installing any additional stuff isn't necessary? (well, except maybe for Python itself).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:55:33 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2012, 01:13:42 pm »

Hello again.

I'm looking at the changes you did within dfhack, libgraphics and df-structures to get this working and it's clearly the path forward. I'm not sure how well, or even if it will merge properly at this point, because the development in master branches of dfhack and df-structures moved ahead quite a bit since 31.25 support was dropped.

It's possible I'll have to manually redo some of the stuff you did. Anyway, it's the way forward :)

* peterix delves into the guts of the dfhack build system

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2012, 01:46:08 pm »

NVM again! I think I got it all to work, the tilesets are in place :)
The program crashes with some mumbling about Quarry bushes and VEGETATION, but I'm using the latest commit and I see you're working now, so let me know when I can check it out!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:15:35 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pm:full_graphics
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2012, 02:43:21 pm »

LX, I've just had a pretty good idea on textures+tinting- when there's a graphic tile and you want only some parts of it to receive tint (like a stone bookshelf- only the shelves should be tinted, not the books), could you try making it so that only pixels with 0 saturation (R=G=B) get tinted, while others are left unchanged?

No problem. See, the code has several 'modes' for drawing tiles based on texture, "foreground" and "background" colors:

• -1 - no tile. draws nothing apart from liquids, so underlying tiles are visible
  • 0 - no blending (AS_IS)
  • 1 - classic

classic is the same mode that stock GL renderers use. It is selected if the cel has "classic" colorspec of fg,bg,br. Otherwise default is 0, where color is taken from the texture. Alpha is forced to 1.0 in both cases, so that solid tiles are not transparent.

Adding a dozen new modes is quite simple.

I see no problem with items, buildings and such, which have floor defined under them and thus can be (and will be) drawn in a separate pass over the whatever floor happens to be there.

Trees, boulders and such, like drifwood have a problem - they are tiles themselves, so I have no data to draw floor under them, and if I don't force alpha to 1.0, lower levels become visible, which is ugly.

Something needs to be invented.

Another question: thinking of the avarage noob like me here- once the project is done, will you be able to include all the necessary libraries in the download so that installing any additional stuff isn't necessary? (well, except maybe for Python itself).

I tried to make a self-contained executable out of this, but failed for now. Will try later.

I made your tileset work, all stuff is in git. It expects the two png files in the '32px' subdirectory where fgtestbed runs - see proto.txt for celpagedefs.

Some bugs still there, shrubs and trees and underwater driftwood. I'm investigating those.

Also fixed a bug in the dump generator where grass material overwrote basic material on a tile, so that you ended up with StoneStairD made out of grass. Fixed dumps uploaded.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2012, 02:47:13 pm »

With the latest commit I'm getting:

C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-7a>fgtestbed.py 31.25 31.25\raw\objects\

implicitly delimited PLANT_OIL_TEMPLATE in BUSH_QUARRY
implicitly delimited PLANT_SOAP_TEMPLATE in BUSH_QUARRY
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-7a\fgtestbed.py", line 1316, in <modul
e>
    pageman, objcode = raw.work(pa.dfprefix, ['fgraws']+ pa.rawsdir)
  File "C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-7a\raw.py", line 1307, in work
    objcode = compiler.compile(materialsets, fgdef.tilesets, fgdef.celeffects, f
gdef.buildings, 1)
  File "C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-7a\raw.py", line 243, in compile
    x.append(tilesets[tileset])
KeyError: 'VEGETATION'

DF is in fgtestbed-7a\31.25 of course. I assume I got the arguments wrong, care to help?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:55:15 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2012, 02:47:52 pm »

I'm looking at the changes you did within dfhack, libgraphics and df-structures to get this working and it's clearly the path forward. I'm not sure how well, or even if it will merge properly at this point, because the development in master branches of dfhack and df-structures moved ahead quite a bit since 31.25 support was dropped.

Good news. I plan to merge upstream changes once df34 stabilizes somewhat and move the work over there.

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2012, 03:00:25 pm »

With the latest commit I'm getting:

C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-7a>fgtestbed.py 31.25 31.25/raw/

Mmhmm. For some reason it did not parse raws in the fgraws directory.
And arguments are wrong, but should not have caused this.

Maybe it's something to do with uppercase vs lowercase in file names. Quick fix in in the git.

Proper way to launch would be
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-7a>fgtestbed.py 31.25 dump\brook0.dump
where dump/brook0.dump is a dump from here.

These two are harmless warnings, ignore them.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:03:07 pm by lxnt »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:27 pm »

Ok... forgot about the dumps
Now it's:

C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-14>fgtestbed.py 31.25 dump/brook0.dump
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-14\fgtestbed.py", line 1316, in <modul
e>
    pageman, objcode = raw.work(pa.dfprefix, ['fgraws']+ pa.rawsdir)
  File "C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-14\raw.py", line 1307, in work
    objcode = compiler.compile(materialsets, fgdef.tilesets, fgdef.celeffects, f
gdef.buildings, 1)
  File "C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-14\raw.py", line 243, in compile
    x.append(tilesets[tileset])
KeyError: 'VEGETATION'

C:\Users\Alamar\Desktop\fgtestbed-14>

Could be I've installed the dependencies wrong?
<3

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2012, 03:18:50 pm »

Could be I've installed the dependencies wrong?

No, that would be ImportErrors all over the place.

I made it print each file name it parses, try it. And please check if  tilesets.txt is in fgraws directory and has [object:full_graphics] on top.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23