Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]  (Read 86032 times)

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pm:full_graphics
Re: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]
« Reply #285 on: December 10, 2012, 04:38:07 pm »

So the only thing left that depends on SDL is some hardcoded part of the worldgen code you can't change?
If so that sounds frustrating.

If it gets in the way again I'll resort to hacking dynamic loader. Something like this, but in reverse.

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 10, 2012, 06:22:09 pm »

Input has been unified between key-repeating and nonrepeating backends.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 10, 2012, 07:05:28 pm »

It's good to see this is moving.  :)

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 11, 2012, 10:26:52 am »

Next step - a game of life using the modular backend for input/rendering - here. Linux 32-bit, needs libncursesw5. Unzip and launch from the directory:

Code: [Select]
cd /tmp
7zr x life.7z
./life . ncurses

Minor bugs galore, minimal functionality. Intended as a test subject when developing other modules.
Debugging and adding features is left as an excerise to the reader.

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 21, 2012, 03:51:59 pm »

With the latest push, SDL2/OpenGL2 renderer seems to be in a good shape.

Input event handling, especially mouse, still needs some work.

Vertex buffer streaming will have to be simplified, current overengineered metabuffer scheme doesn't belong to what is to become an OpenGL ES 2.0 renderer.

The modularization work easily allows network transport between DF core and the renderer, so with a modest amount of work one can push DF interface to an android tablet or some sorry netbook while the DF itself runs on a ridiculously overpowered box somewhere in the basement. You'd need a decent keyboard though :)

Now, have to fix the input and on to trying to see how it compiles for windows and works under Wine.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:55:05 pm by lxnt »

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 21, 2012, 03:59:50 pm »

Sounds like you are making good progress.
If you need someone to test anything you are working on just let me know.
If you are using a current Ubuntu (or I think Fedora) I would have to compile it myself though since it is using a newer version of glibc than Debian.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 21, 2012, 04:11:55 pm »

If you are using a current Ubuntu (or I think Fedora) I would have to compile it myself though since it is using a newer version of glibc than Debian.

Thanks.

Build system is in shambles, unfortunately, custom paths hardcoded everywhere, binaries looking for stuff in obscure places, etc. This also needs some attention, or a readme at least.

I'll be building "releases" in a VM, since fgtestbed development kept pushing me onto the bleeding edge because of Mesa GL3 support. I currently build 32bit builds with gcc-4.5, the version that df3411-linux seems to be built with, but for the libc, and various SDL's dependencies it ain't that simple. Is ubuntu 12.04 a good choice? 11.10 might be possible, but beyond that I'm afraid it'll get hairy.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 21, 2012, 04:25:23 pm »

Thanks.

Build system is in shambles, unfortunately, custom paths hardcoded everywhere, binaries looking for stuff in obscure places, etc. This also needs some attention, or a readme at least.

I'll be building "releases" in a VM, since fgtestbed development kept pushing me onto the bleeding edge because of Mesa GL3 support. I currently build 32bit builds with gcc-4.5, the version that df3411-linux seems to be built with, but for the libc, and various SDL's dependencies it ain't that simple. Is ubuntu 12.04 a good choice? 11.10 might be possible, but beyond that I'm afraid it'll get hairy.
The glibc version in Debian is 2.13 right now, I don't expect that to change in the next few months since they are in a package freeze/bugfixing period as they prepare for their next stable release.
I know that 12.04 won't work, I started seeing .deb packages from individual developers stop working due to being complied with a newer version of glibc when it was released.
This is what makes running the Steam linux beta such a pain in the ass in Debian since you have to extract the glibc 2.15 from 12.04 into the Steam install directory to make it work.
I am not sure how stable that is though, I have not gotten around to trying it yet.

It looks like 11.10 should work, it looks like it is using glibc 2.13.

You might be able to build in Debian unstable/Sid if that does not work for you.
Most of the packages you would be interested in are about the same version as in a current Ubuntu release, glibc is just an annoying exception to that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:32:29 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 22, 2012, 11:44:45 am »

It looks like 11.10 should work, it looks like it is using glibc 2.13.

You might be able to build in Debian unstable/Sid if that does not work for you.
Most of the packages you would be interested in are about the same version as in a current Ubuntu release, glibc is just an annoying exception to that.

Well, apart from glew 1.6 not knowing about one obscure extension, it builds on 11.10 fine. I fixed up cmakelists some, it should work fine as long as you start from installing SDL2 into a prefix and keep setting CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to that prefix (the code depends on SDL2 and SDL_pnglite which is on my github). I'll do a build-deps script like the one in fgtestbed later.

Now I'm trying to build a win32 version with mingw-w64. That's where the hairiness starts.

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 23, 2012, 06:33:15 am »

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:41 am »

I fixed all the breakage that resulted from making it work on win32.

A problem remains: GLEW refuses to build properly using mingw-w64 and they don't distribute import libs for mingw, so I just can't test anything interesting under wine.

Fixed that too. It works.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7250

get the shaders from github, .png from any df

now all I need is a vast underground cistern of beer
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:41:06 am by lxnt »

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2012, 04:11:56 pm »

Anyone got a win32 compiler other that mingw32msvc or i686-w64-mingw32? Preferably something from MSVC series.

The time has come to test if the modularization works across different C/C++ runtimes.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 26, 2012, 04:15:24 pm »

I could try building in my 32bit Vista VM but I have never built anything on Windows before so I may not be able to figure it out.
Sigtext

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2012, 04:53:49 pm »

Thank you.

I'm alas in uncharted territory here, so it's only guesses:

It should be possible to *persuade* the cmake to make a msvc project out of rendumper/modules directory (this works on linux as in not trying to touch anything above) that includes only test-whatever binaries. It should require only glue.cpp and contents of include directory (iwhatever* + glue.h).

As a fallback I guess you can handcraft a project out of glue.cpp, tests/life.cpp and includes/*.

The resulting binary would be most helpful.

edit:

unchecking all of PLATFORM_* RENDERER_* SOUND_* should force the cmake to build generate project for only glue and tests

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:59:37 pm by lxnt »

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 26, 2012, 05:45:21 pm »

Okay I will see if I can get that to work.
I am going to make a backup of my Windows VM first though since I really don't want to install that again, the updates take forever.
I don't think I can handcraft a project, I don't know much about C or C++.
I program enough in other languages I can see if someone has a typo in a variable name or forgot a "}" but I have never played with setting up the compiling side of it.
Edit: Downloading MSVC 2010 (the one used to build dfhack) now, this could take a while.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:59:54 pm by arclance »
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23