Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]  (Read 85877 times)

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pm:full_graphics
Re: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2012, 09:19:17 pm »

Ok, the program works now but it looks like a mess of pink letters.

Many thanks for verifying it works somewhere else than on my box.

Pink letters are in fact "animated" tiles showing their types and material names .

Am I supposed to look at something here?

Nothing in particular unless you're into tileset modding. Cavern outlines in the big dump are nice though.

You see, to replace those pink letters with something more appropriate, this something must be defined somehow.
At this stage the code draws only natural walls/ramps/floors and constructions - walls, stairs and such. 
Even this small subset is several hundred variants given lots of different rocks in the game.

The raws format I came up is not up to the task. Something better must be designed, but I have no idea how it should look like to be useful to the artists.

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2012, 09:11:52 pm »

Current version :

• reads standard DF raws and init.txt thus picks up any installed 3rd-party tilesets.
  • panning finally finally fixed.
  • small hud shows whatever's under mouse
  • configurable number of zlevels to draw under current, with darkening - looks good at 4
  • layer rock, veins, soil do work, rest of materials need some logic coded in
  • grass has weird colors

Work continues at dumping trees, buildings, items and creatures.

Please re-download the small dump (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5692), older version is broken.

Code: [Select]
lxnt@bigbox:~/00DFGL/fgtestbed$ ./fgtestbed.py   ../dfa_linux/ smalldump
353 mats  13071 defined tiles, assembling...
hashtable 4096K code 206K
font: 128x3 16x16 tiles, 2048x48, 384K

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2012, 04:49:51 am »

This is pretty cool!  What exactly is this?  A replacement for DF's default drawing method- a sort of 2D visualizer?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2012, 07:26:24 am »

A replacement for DF's default drawing method- a sort of 2D visualizer?
See the top post for this.

fgtestbed is work in progress on removing 256-tile restriction for tilesets.

Krakarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2012, 04:00:16 am »

I tried it out but it seems an xml file is missing (df.buildings.xml).
I added an empty file and tried it again (with a modded df folder) and this time I found a bug: Your rawsparser is not ignoring the ':' (a tile character) occurences when parsing lines, so it messes up the parsing and gives an out of index error.

Also, smalldump.mats should be named smalldump.materials (because that's what it becomes in the code, or change the code so it becomes smalldump.mats).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:02:37 am by Krakarn »

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2012, 02:29:16 pm »

Thank you for testing.

The code is now somewhat unusable, because I'm working hard on releasing a version based entirely on raw-type files instead of hardcoded material - tiletype mappings and such. I hope to release somewhat stable version today or tomorrow, which should allow people to experiment with replacing standard tiles and animation.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2012, 06:36:06 pm »

Awesome project!
Would it be possible for you to show us some images with one of the tilesets thats avaibable (ironhand , mayday etc)?
I personally will be really happy when this is implemented later on ^_^

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2012, 06:32:54 pm »

Would it be possible for you to show us some images with one of the tilesets thats avaibable (ironhand , mayday etc)?

They ain't that great, in fact liquids are plain ugly, though translucent, and most tiles aren't drawn at all as of last working version. And there isn't any working version left.

I wound up having to implement material template instantiation for the plant materials, that's why it's taking longer than anticipated, DF raws format being quite peculiar. Can only tremble in horror thinking of  what it would take for creature-derived materials. But it should be possible to define unique graphics for any item/base material/quality/encrustions and enscriptions combination in the end.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:52:00 pm by lxnt »

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21:56 pm »

Wow. A proper graphics engine for DF. I salute you!

Keep up the good work, this could be the next LNP right here once it becomes playable.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:09 am »

Oh I am so gonna keep track of this.

Awesome work man.
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2012, 02:51:05 pm »

They ain't that great, in fact liquids are plain ugly, though translucent, and most tiles aren't drawn at all as of last working version. And there isn't any working version left.

I wound up having to implement material template instantiation for the plant materials, that's why it's taking longer than anticipated, DF raws format being quite peculiar. Can only tremble in horror thinking of  what it would take for creature-derived materials. But it should be possible to define unique graphics for any item/base material/quality/encrustions and enscriptions combination in the end.

I dont want an image for how pretty it is...I want to see something in action. At least for like updates to see whats changed.

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2012, 05:04:55 pm »

You can watch git repo at https://github.com/lxnt/fgtestbed. It's so much work in progress I can't guarantee anything that's there stays the way it is for any amount of time, but you can get general idea of what's happening from commit messages and comments, esp. in files undef fgraws directory.

I expect there would be something to play with by 9th.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »

Hey lx (Lex?), since you've apparently already coded viewing multiple layers, I imagine that perspective will be a cakewalk, eh?
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/perspective.jpg
<3

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:53 pm »

Also I wanted to install all the dependencies in preparation and I think I'm having problems, could you gents help me out?
Got Python27, got Pygame, then I downloaded http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools and then did c:\python26\scripts\easy_install.exe PyOpenGL PyOpenGL-accelerate
but that resulted in:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And now fgtestbed is crying that it can't find numpy :/
<3

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2012, 04:35:09 pm »

For numpy you go here.

With PyOpenGL's problems I can't help you, I haven't had a windows installation in about 3 years now.
I think Krakarn managed to run it and can help you.

I pushed a version that draws 'something' while pulling most of info from DF's raws, at last, find it at github.
A dump for it to show is here

Note that it needs 31.25 raws to function:

Code: [Select]
./fgtestbed.py  ../df_linux ./fugr.dump ./fgraws/

where ../df_linux is path to 31.25 directory and ./fugr.dump is the uncompressed dump.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23