Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]  (Read 85215 times)

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pm:full_graphics
Re: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2012, 04:35:59 pm »

I imagine that perspective will be a cakewalk, eh?

In fact, yes. But I want to make it work as is first.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »

I imagine that perspective will be a cakewalk, eh?
In fact, yes. But I want to make it work as is first.

Of course! I meant- in the future!
<3

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2012, 10:00:54 pm »

Nice! Looks like it is coming together, once there is enough community involvement to make skins...  8)

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2012, 10:04:51 am »

A bunch of bugfixes has been pushed onto github. Vegetation, gems and non-material tiles (openspace, driftwood, etc) are now drawn correctly.

Compatible dumps uploaded to http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5692. Note that previously uploaded dumps won't work due to (fixed) bug in the dumping code.

libgraphics.so with integrated dumper for 3125 is at http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5763 Press F12 to dump.

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2012, 08:20:00 am »

For this project to move on I think we need a base tileset to work off of. Its tile size (16x16? 20x20? 24x24?) should be decided upon right now, and a standard (16x16 tiles) tileset (tilepage) should be made available asap.

Then as I move on to implementing buildings and items, I will need their definitions - that is how to draw them.

After that is some drawable shape, a decision must be made on how creatures are drawn - are they smaller than tiles, and if that's the case where to draw them on the underlying tile.

I also haven't got an idea on how to draw heaps of body parts lying around and pools of blood/vomit/whatnot that result from pounding a 'force of darkness' with couple of squads of marksdwarves and a catapult battery, and then releasing a butcher squad to finish them off.

But first let's decide on base tileset and its dimensions.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2012, 09:15:26 am »

This sounds fantastic. Are you planning on having more context sensitive tiles that work like walls currently do? It would be great for things like this.

You could then have ore that looks like it sits within the rock around it or even have rough stone walls overhang into open tiles.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2012, 09:54:07 am »

For this project to move on I think we need a base tileset to work off of. Its tile size (16x16? 20x20? 24x24?) should be decided upon right now, and a standard (16x16 tiles) tileset (tilepage) should be made available asap.

Then as I move on to implementing buildings and items, I will need their definitions - that is how to draw them.

After that is some drawable shape, a decision must be made on how creatures are drawn - are they smaller than tiles, and if that's the case where to draw them on the underlying tile.

I also haven't got an idea on how to draw heaps of body parts lying around and pools of blood/vomit/whatnot that result from pounding a 'force of darkness' with couple of squads of marksdwarves and a catapult battery, and then releasing a butcher squad to finish them off.

But first let's decide on base tileset and its dimensions.

I you're going to obliterate the 80 tile minimum, I definitely vote for 32px. That's the minimal size in which I feel really free to pixel the way I want.
Otherwise 20px I guess?
As soon as we decide on the dimensions, I'm ready to produce any graphics you need.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:07:31 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2012, 11:09:25 am »

Are you planning on having more context sensitive tiles that work like walls currently do? It would be great for things like this.

Um. Haven't thought about this aspect. It would require some preprocessing, but I guess in the worst case I can make a hotkey to turn it off if FPS is hurt. Otherwise, I see no problem with this.

I you're going to obliterate the 80 tile minimum,

There will be no map window grid dimensions limits apart from those that are due to hardware, since at least some cards can't draw pixel sprites above some size (not sure though, my current can draw from 1px to 16384px, and I think the hd4870 had upper limit of 8192).
In other words, you won't have a monitor setup that would be able to display all of a single tile at maximum zoom.

In fact, it is possible to  switch tile/graphic sets at runtime, for example using smaller graphics for zoom-outs instead of plain linear interpolation, though that's for the future too.

As soon as we decide on the dimensions, I'm ready to produce any graphics you need.

I'm not sure if this dimensions questions for the first fg-set it that much an issue as I thought. So please go ahead with 32x32 and give me a 16x16 tile standard fontpage, and graphics for up/down stairway for a start. (I sure hate those X-es instead of stairways).
Then, I think, the driftwood tile can be redrawn, and maybe more diversity in tree tiles can be injected. A good example of simple animation
would be trees' leaves and branches swinging with the wind.

Also I'm not quite sure how to draw river tiles - as opposed to ocean/lakes which are just open space with 7/7 water, these are dedicated tiletypes with direction (see tilesets.txt). I think some animation can be put there too, or at least, some graphics differing by direction.

I discovered an issue with windows' version of mmap(), so my code does not work on windows yet. In the meanwhile, I had a degree of success installing dependencies under Wine:
Code: [Select]
1. python 2.7.2 32-bit msi http://python.org/download/releases/2.7.2/
2. numpy-1.6.1-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.1/
3. Python Imaging Library 1.1.7 for Python 2.7 http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/index.htm
4. pygame-1.9.1.win32-py2.7.msi http://pygame.org/download.shtml
5. setuptools-0.6c11.win32-py2.7.exe  http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.7/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c11.win32-py2.7.exe
6. c:\python27\scripts\easy_install.exe -i http://c.pypi.python.org/simple PyOpenGL PyOpenGL-accelerate

the "-i http://c.pypi.python.org/simple " part in the last step is due to PyPi being down today.
the stuff being 32bit and not 64bit is because 64bit Python .msi refuses to install under Wine (known issue).

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:13:36 am by lxnt »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2012, 11:27:49 am »

I'm not sure if this dimensions questions for the first fg-set it that much an issue as I thought. So please go ahead with 32x32 and give me a 16x16 tile standard fontpage, and graphics for up/down stairway for a start. (I sure hate those X-es instead of stairways).
I understand the tilepage is supposed to be for vanilla raws? Am I to place the up/down stairway icon on the tilepage (at 'X') or should it be separate?

Then, I think, the driftwood tile can be redrawn, and maybe more diversity in tree tiles can be injected. A good example of simple animation
would be trees' leaves and branches swinging with the wind.
I'd hold off on animation until we've got all the static graphics working, but if you want to test it, I'll animate a tree, np.

Also I'm not quite sure how to draw river tiles - as opposed to ocean/lakes which are just open space with 7/7 water, these are dedicated tiletypes with direction (see tilesets.txt). I think some animation can be put there too, or at least, some graphics differing by direction.
Animating a river with proper directions is somewhat out of my area of expertise (I'm actually a noob when it comes to pixelart) but we'll see about it!.

BTW, I'm on 64bit Win7, will there be any trouble? SHould I have installed 32bit Python?
<3

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »

I understand the tilepage is supposed to be for vanilla raws? Am I to place the up/down stairway icon on the tilepage (at 'X') or should it be separate?

I'd prefer to have new graphics on a separate tilepage. This way superiority of the fg-mode can be made to look more overwhelming :)

just stuff'em into a separate png, I'll upload the modified fg-raws so you can look how it's done.

I'd hold off on animation until we've got all the static graphics working, but if you want to test it, I'll animate a tree, np.

No problem, I just wanted to show how it's done in the fg-raws format.

BTW, I'm on 64bit Win7, will there be any trouble? SHould I have installed 32bit Python?

Honestly, no idea at all. I posted what worked for me under 64-bit Wine on 64-bit linux. BTW I pushed fixed code to the github and dumps to the dffd, and it draws stuff same way as under linux. I guess since 32-bit python works for me under Wine64, it should work under win64 too.

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2012, 12:27:55 pm »

Animating a river with proper directions is somewhat out of my area of expertise (I'm actually a noob when it comes to pixelart) but we'll see about it!.

I thought about something to show which direction the water is flowing, in a translucent way. No idea how to do it though.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2012, 01:11:07 pm »

Oh ok.
But wait, is the main tileset supposed to be just ASCII then? Pure text symbols?
<3

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:35 pm »

But wait, is the main tileset supposed to be just ASCII then? Pure text symbols?

No way. It should be something like your, or Phoebus tileset, so that the code can fall back to standard tiles if there's (yet) no other definition.

It's so just because to draw anything at all I had to reference it (the std tileset), so that I can draw most of the map at all.

Remember that apart from stonewall tile, tree/shrub/grass tiles and creatures, everything is hardcoded, so to say, draw a wall, I had to get the graphics from somewhere, so I just got it from the standard tileset. What tile goes from where is described in tilesets.txt.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:28:03 pm by lxnt »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2012, 01:49:42 pm »

This sounds fantastic. Are you planning on having more context sensitive tiles that work like walls currently do? It would be great for things like this.

You could then have ore that looks like it sits within the rock around it or even have rough stone walls overhang into open tiles.

Stonesense does have a limited version of this, but it only detects things like open space, ramps, walls, and stairs, so you can't have grass borders, but you can have platform borders.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23