Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]

Author Topic: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]  (Read 85268 times)

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pm:full_graphics
Re: [PRINT_MODE:SHADER]
« Reply #330 on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:38 pm »

I apologize for a bug in the packaging script which rendered previously uploaded archives unusable.

It has been fixed, and the latest upload is verified to work.

It has TTF support on par with original  - ttf tab hack and pixel-perfect alignment, and more-or-less working sound support.

The README file has also been expanded.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 13, 2013, 11:34:02 am »

I just dropped by to see how this is going, since SDL2 came out.

TODO list: Wow, looks complicated.
> show fps+averaged times on an overlay. maybe do a graph ala eve online
Well, it would be somewhat useful to have a "DwarfMark" - a Dwarf Fortress save that has 200+ Dwarves, lots of items and some liquid flows, then unpause it on different computers, look at average uncapped FPS over a minute and have a benchmark for which one seems to be the fastest.

BTW, this thread should be moved to Modding/Tilesets and Graphics. It may get more visibility that way.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 18, 2013, 10:35:11 am »

It did, but there isn't much sense in reacting to that until SDL2 gets into major distributives. And that may take some SDL2 point releases to happen.

TODO list: Wow, looks complicated.
> show fps+averaged times on an overlay. maybe do a graph ala eve online
Well, it would be somewhat useful to have a "DwarfMark" - a Dwarf Fortress save that has 200+ Dwarves, lots of items and some liquid flows, then unpause it on different computers, look at average uncapped FPS over a minute and have a benchmark for which one seems to be the fastest.

200 dwarves, say 50K items ... it'll just drown any signal from the renderer change in the noise. At those numbers the renderer just doesn't matter. Any fort above 100 dwarves is going to suffer, period. Maybe if Toady implements emigration out of the fort, that would help keeping the population down to something sensible. Barring that, we're stuck - mastery of the dwarf management is just another way to lose, and not particularly fun at that.

As I said somewhere above, slow rendering can't really kill the FPS, it just makes the inevitable quicker. Thus the focus on cross-platformness and modding/distributed development here lately.

Besides, I did a test on how fast one can kill FPS. Draining an aquifer into a cavern does that quite reliably, no need for hundreds of dwarves, just a suitable map. Watch the water cover 2-3 embark places of cavern and the game wents below 1 fps, then just crashes.

Bad thing is, optimizing liquid model would require quite a change in the map internal representation, and this is just not going to happen.

BTW, this thread should be moved to Modding/Tilesets and Graphics. It may get more visibility that way.

It might, but that isn't up to me.

PS.

For some reason my attempt to carve a mountain hall barely worthy of its name - out of a cavern section - measly 55x110x5 tiles - is also being met with random crashes. Although this might be due to bugs in the dwarf therapist.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 18, 2013, 12:17:47 pm »

Ah, maybe I wasn't clear. I know that renderer has little influence on FPS and that certain things can kill FPS. I just saw "fps+averaged times" in your TODO notes and it resonated with something I'd find useful. Play till an old fort runs out of FPS, then run it on a new computer and it's playable again, except there is no hard data on it, just an approximation from looking at fluctuating FPS. I didn't want to compare renderers or find ways to kill FPS, I wanted to compare which computer handles my forts better and by how much exactly.

Good luck with your project. Especially if you manage to take Baghun's place.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 18, 2013, 04:21:44 pm »

I just saw "fps+averaged times" in your TODO notes and it resonated with something I'd find useful. Play till an old fort runs out of FPS, then run it on a new computer and it's playable again, except there is no hard data on it, just an approximation from looking at fluctuating FPS. I didn't want to compare renderers or find ways to kill FPS, I wanted to compare which computer handles my forts better and by how much exactly.

This compares nicely in my code, since the primary metric it uses is time-to-render (or simulate) a frame and time-elapsed-between-renders/simulations.

Guess I'll do the graphs after all, if only to enable such comparisons. FPS numbers, however averaged, just don't show enough information.

Good luck with your project. Especially if you manage to take Baghun's place.

With Toady insisting on understanding all of the code there isn't much chance of this part getting anywhere. Human mind is only so vast, especially when there are much more interesting things to write.

It took me a couple of months to just understand how to make cross-platform plugin loader, make MSVC-compiled executable to load GCC-compiled plugins, and then make the contraption to not crash. I wouldn't wish anyone to go down this path.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:49 pm »

It did, but there isn't much sense in reacting to that until SDL2 gets into major distributives. And that may take some SDL2 point releases to happen.
SDL2 is in Debian Testing & Unstable.
I would use the unstable package though it is more up to date.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

lxnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 04, 2014, 10:31:11 pm »

Here's a build for 40.14. Obviously linux only.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tolisnitem/files/nitem-20141105-03.7z/download

(extract into libs, make sure to delete/rename libstdc++.so.6 and libgcc_s.so.1)

Changes:

Fixed world map export crash.

Forced all text to be rendered with TTF. This includes the thought screen (ex. http://img.ie/drh6l.png ) and probably much more.

To enable TTF rendering, make sure the xx in  [TRUETYPE:xx] in data/init/init.txt matches exactly your tileset height.

To disable aforementioned forcing, add [TRUETYPE_FORCED:NO] to data/init/init.txt.

Default renderer requires GL3.0. To try GL2.0 or ncurses renderers, pass corresponding parameters at df launch:

./df sdl2gl2
./df ncurses

The [PRINT_MODE:...] setting is currently ignored. TTF is only supported in GL3 renderer (integers in GLSL and all that).

And yes, the fps/gfps indicator is misplaced. Sorry about that.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2017, 01:24:02 pm »

Sorry for the horrible necrobump, but did this project just die out?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]