Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles  (Read 10329 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 09:43:33 pm »

Holy ninjas.

I think I got my fill of RE back in the day. At one time I owned every disc up through Nemesis, then lost them all. Sort of like Symphony of the Night, I mined the gold completely out of them.

Armored Core

Ah yes, another good one!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 09:45:43 pm »

I agree with Dino Crisis. One and two.

The time traveling plot of the second one always confused me, but shooting velociraptors and running away from the T-Rex, and using a satellite to kill the gigantosaurus were always the highlights of the game.  I actually played little, my cousin was better, he did most of the heavy lifting, but I had my fun. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 10:38:24 pm »

Parasite Eve is a good one.

I really liked Beyond the Beyond but it never got good reviews.  It's a fairly generic and difficult jrpg.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 10:44:42 pm »

I should have listed Parasite Eve. I always get that and Persona confused. Excellent game, thoroughly enjoyed.

Same story with Siphon Filter.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 10:57:38 pm »

Armored Core

I bet Armored Core, has not aged well.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 11:09:05 pm »

Brave Fencer Musashi was cool.  I almost beat it.

Legend of Dragoon was one of my favorite games, I emulated it a while ago (My save's probably gone now, it might still be on my mediafire backup though :/) and got partway through disk 2.  It was a lot easier the second time around, I was surprised at how fast a lot of the bosses died.  I remember the Virage taking forever to kill and I must've fought the trickster guy at that marble temple place a hundred times.  Both of them went down easy the second playthrough.  Same with the green-tusk dragon, there were a few points in the game where I wondered if I'd somehow found an easier version of the game.

I'll also second Rayman.  That was a fun game, and one of the first I ever played.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 11:14:14 pm »

Oh and on Fear Effect. I owned it. Couldn't stand it. Dragon's Lair-esqe games just don't do it for me. One of those PSX games I don't really miss.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »

Armored Core

I bet Armored Core, has not aged well.

The original hasn't, unfortunately. But it's still a good game, if you don't mind the blocky graphics. Seconding it regardless, for nostalgia.

Ehrgeiz is a good one too. Has a couple games in one, but I spent entirely too much time on the dungeon portion (I was never really a fighting game guy). Has cameos of Cloud, Tifa, Yuffie and Sephiroth in the fighter portions, though.

Front Mission may be worth checking out... the original in the series is one of the better ones, but it's not for everyone.

Gex. <3

Second on Jade Cocoon. First one is better, imo, as the second one seemed to get dumbed down while increasing overall playability (but the second one is on PS2, so that's to be expected).

LSD is a strange one. I found it on a dream site (or rather, a link to it) and it is just... well, play it and find out. I can't spoil the surprise because every time is different. Japan only, so you need an emulator.

Mega man series... kinda a given, considering a good portion of it was on the PS1 and it didn't seem to lose its NES/SNES feel as much.

Monster Rancher; another Pokemon-ish game with some interesting features.

Populus: The Beginning takes the series in a slightly different direction... not unpleasant, but different. Had some fun with it for a while regardless.

Rampage series: Probably one of my favorite time-wasters from when I was a kid. It's what got me into the whole "Fully destructible? No problem!" mindset.

Finally, Romance of the Three Kingdoms series is one of the best strategy games on the platform. I loved these, considering I didn't always have a computer at my disposal and they translated to controllers well. Up until the most recent entry, anyway...

Edit: Almost forgot about Theme Hospital. Priceless game, one of Bullfrog's last.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:18:05 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 11:16:18 pm »

Rampage and Populous are two titles I'd play in another format. Although console Rampage isn't much different than PC Rampage.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 11:23:33 pm »

LSD.

;D
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 12:05:29 am »

Oh yeah, Populus.  That was fun.  "Ka ka."  *phwoom*

I'll also second Front Mission - it's pretty neat.  I don't know about 2, but 3 was for PS1.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a pretty awesome series too, but IMO the best games are on PS2.  7, 8, and... I think 12.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 12:37:25 am »

Digimon World 1 and 3, both are games I have spent many upon many hours upon.
They started to collide~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 12:43:26 am »

Suikeoden II (often considered better then the first)
Blood Omen Legacy of Kain

Dang I have more but I cannot remember your list...

First one is better, imo, as the second one seemed to get dumbed down while increasing overall playability

They are so unbelievably different that I don't even consider them to be the same series. They are entirely different games that deal with dramatically different themes (heck the original Jade Cacoon is mature story that deals with many adult themes. THOUGH to admit they do cop-out on a few of them...)

Jade Caccoon is a RPG and Jade Caccoon 2 is more of a strategy RPG

It is like the difference between Digimon World 1 and 2. They are basically different games altogether that just so happen to include digimon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 12:58:11 am »

I did a retread of everything Soul Reaver about a year ago probably EXCEPT Blood Omen. Is it worth it? The second Legacy of Kain game was...appalling.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 01:09:46 am »

I did a retread of everything Soul Reaver about a year ago probably EXCEPT Blood Omen. Is it worth it? The second Legacy of Kain game was...appalling.

The first game is almost completely unlike the others.

Though you can get lost quite easily.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6