Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles  (Read 10334 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 02:13:43 am »

Also, the Spyro games (At least the one or two that I played) are very good, as is Theme Hospital.
And I played a demo of a game called... Future Cop LAPD or some such, which was pretty sweet.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »

I'll also recommend Legend of Mana, I've still got the disc myself. Great battle system, amazing art and music, and a very interesting and in-depth weapon and armor creation system. Can't really comment on the story since it's a bit abstract, but I enjoyed it for what it is. Plenty of unique characters and such. Replay value is pretty much bar-none.

Stuff I don't think was mentioned yet:
Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4 (Didn't get as much attention as 3, but it is by all means as good if not better)
Threads of Fate (AKA Dewprism)
Vagrant Story

Not "must play" but still worth a look:
Deception series
Guardian's Crusade
Shadow Madness (Said by some to be an "American made Final Fantasy". It has some glaring flaws, but it's still worth a play for the unique experience)

Stuff I never got to but know are worth a go:
Star Ocean: The Second story
Saga Frontier 1 and 2
Valkyrie Profile
Xenogears
Wild Arms series
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:05:03 pm by Haschel »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 03:41:01 pm »

Colony wars 1 and 2. Play them in order. Dont bother with red sun though.

Desturciton Derby 2 - random, destructive no brain fun thats easy to pick up but hard to master.

Gran Turismo 2 - sooooo manyyyyyy cars!

Tenchu - Stealth Assasin. Feudal Japanese Ninja fun with a heavy dose of mysticism and stealth related violence?

Civ 2 was quite good on PS1, if the interface was clunky and the AI a bit on the random side.

Theme Hospital was also quite a good port...
This is a blank sig.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 03:54:13 pm »

Not sure if you meant "the Ogre Battle games" or typod Ogre Battle as "Ogre Battles" in the original post.

If it was a typo, then you must play Tactics Ogre. Brilliant strategy game with a great story.

Tales of Destiny & Tales of Destiny 2 - Earlier titles in the Tales series. Fun as hell multiplayer action-RPGs, with endearing characters.

Marvel vs. Capcom - By far the best title in the MvC series. Back when it was pure Street Fighter tagteam action, instead of assist spam.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »

Galerians has to be one of my all time favourite PS1 games.  'Twas a brilliant action/RPG with an amazingly dark plot.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 04:39:12 pm »

Legend of Legaia is a pretty good jrpg.  A bit slow paced, though.

Legend of Dragoon is good, but it drags on a bit in the last two discs and the voice acting and translation gets worse the farther you get into the game.

Tomba is a fun platformer.

dehimos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 04:51:35 pm »

Front Mission 3

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 05:55:48 pm »

Desturciton Derby 2

I own this. It's ok. I recall another DD game that had a more metal atmosphere and the destruction was better done. Can anyone think of it? Demolition racer I believe, god this game was good times.

Stuff I don't think was mentioned yet:

Mentioned :P

Tenchu

Cmon guys, it's not even a long list in the OP :P

Not sure if you meant "the Ogre Battle games" or typod Ogre Battle as "Ogre Battles" in the original post.

Ogre Battles: March of the Black Queen is what I meant specifically. I've got Tactics Ogre and it's on the list. Thanks. How is it different from March of the Black Queen?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 05:57:42 pm »

Constructor.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 06:21:45 pm »

Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3. They're some of the best games I've ever played. A perfect mixture of survival horror and action.

The controls are blech. I couldn't play for long.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 06:35:47 pm »

I've never played it, but I've heard interesting things about No One Can Stop Mr. Domino.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 06:44:45 pm »

If I might add a few more, I'd also suggest the Crash Bandicoot games on the PS1, if you like platformers.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 07:01:00 pm »

Ogre Battles: March of the Black Queen is what I meant specifically. I've got Tactics Ogre and it's on the list. Thanks. How is it different from March of the Black Queen?

Tactics Ogre is a turn-based strategy game that is the spritiual predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics (Matsuno did TO, then left Quest to do FFT for Square). While the battle systems aren't identical, they're comparable enough that if you like one game, you'll like the other. Tactics Ogre is also notably harder than FFT (nastier battles and permadeath until you get a character that can cast Resurrection a good third of the way into the game), and has larger battles (10 playable characters at a time in most battles).
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 07:04:37 pm »

Tactics Ogre is a turn-based strategy game that is the spritiual predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics (Matsuno did TO, then left Quest to do FFT for Square). While the battle systems aren't identical, they're comparable enough that if you like one game, you'll like the other. Tactics Ogre is also notably harder than FFT (nastier battles and permadeath until you get a character that can cast Resurrection a good third of the way into the game), and has larger battles (10 playable characters at a time in most battles).

Also while ALL in all the Tactics Ogre games were monsters useful at the begining. Depending on the Tactics Ogre monsters are either viable or unviable for the late game (excluding exploits).

Which only I care about because I like dragons.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 07:38:00 pm »

Legend of Legaia is a pretty good jrpg.  A bit slow paced, though.
Oh man, how could I have forgotten Legaia?  Legaia is the bomb.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6