Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles  (Read 10180 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2011, 07:50:07 pm »

Legend of Legaia is a pretty good jrpg.  A bit slow paced, though.
Oh man, how could I have forgotten Legaia?  Legaia is the bomb.

It is the only game where the greatest weapon of all is a credit card!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 08:45:29 pm »

Shadow Man. It is EXTREMELY large. Fuck, it's bigger than any other game I've seen. The only problem I have with it is how easy it is to get lost and how little sense the puzzles make. The game WILL seem like utter shit if you get lost for too long, though. I would suggest playing it with a walkthrough throughout the whole game. The story is surprisingly good, too. Keep in mind that I have a low standard for game stories.

Duke Nukem: Time to Kill. Oooh boy. I killed a lot of time with this back in the day. It's a very good game.

Final Doom. It's easier to find than the PC Final Doom. That's the only reason why I'm suggesting it.

If I might add a few more, I'd also suggest the Crash Bandicoot games on the PS1, if you like platformers.
Seconded.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 09:58:31 pm »

Some people like Alundra but I couldn't get into it.  Plays like Zelda 3.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 10:40:52 pm »

Tomb Raider 1-3 (Beat 1 (eons later on PC) and 2 (on PS1); 3 is hard as fuck (regardless of system). Only made it past the Amazon Jungle and Area 51. Pacific and London are another case.)
Frogger (1 & 2)
Armored Core (any of them)
Ace Combat (2 and 3) (I'm progressing well with AC2 on my livestream channel; about halfway through the game, and rocking while at it.)
Crash Bandicoot 1-3
Moto Racer
Cool Boarders 2 (as far as I've played; unlocked all)
Parappa the Rapper
Tekken 1-3 (Yoshimitsu and Kunimitsu FTW; especially in Tekken Tag Tournament for PS2. Best team in Tekken Bowling (TTT) as well)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Wipeout
RayStorm and RayCrisis (Storm is the first, Crysis is the second) (Also available in HD on XBLA and PSN, and it looks awesome)
Einhander
Gradius
Gran Turismo 1 & 2 (2 is better)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:45:20 pm by Itnetlolor »

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »

Suikoden II for me of course.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2-4 are all good also.

The first Digimon World is a crazy fun monster raising sim.

Jade Cocoon

Hogs of War

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 10:53:07 pm »

The adaption of Space Invaders which included color, actual art, different enemy types, special attacks, special enemies for each planet, and bosses. You fought your way through the solar system, from Pluto to Mar, Venus, Mercury, the Moon, and finally Earth, with a series of stages on each world, followed by a bonus round with UFOs and then the boss, some of which were absolutely brutal. Amazingly addictive, two-player mode and the final boss was a giant robot...thing that attacked you by throwing ICBMs and skyscrapers. I'm proud to say that I beat the damn thing on solo, when I was a wee little un. Haven't had a chance to do it again ever since my PS2 crapped out.

And Jupiter had these fucking sonofabitch enemies that, once the column beneath them was opened, would dart down to just above the surface and start using their beam attack, which was a timed 2-second on, 1-second off pulse and they kept lowering, so the only way to survive was to time it right and dart underneath, shooting as you passed, in that 1-second interval.  And every Jupiter stage had at least 6 or 8 of them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 10:54:56 pm »

I played a demo of this really obscure arcade to console port called Tombi. Anyone know that one? It was pretty awesome.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2011, 03:45:02 am »

Between Monster Rancher 2 and Suikoden 2....I don't know if I have the time for anything similarly awesome.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:11:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2011, 05:09:47 am »

Wipeout 3 is my favorite racing game of all time. *thumbs up*
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2011, 11:02:34 am »

My favorite PS1 game would ahve to be Future Cop: L.A.P.D.

It was amazing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2011, 11:55:11 am »

Galerians has to be one of my all time favourite PS1 games.  'Twas a brilliant action/RPG with an amazingly dark plot.

Funny story. I was in the middle of downloading the iso for disc three when my internet connection was blocked. My TV service was also killed at the exact same moment.

Still, it's pretty awesome when Rion's powers short out.(it hurts you, but makes enemies' heads explode when they get too close)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2011, 04:49:58 pm »

I must be one of the few people that prefer Suikoden 1 to Suikoden 2.  Both good games, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2011, 05:56:01 pm »

I'm finding 2 to be easier to get into. It's got a better story IMO. The whole RPG system doesn't feel as....thrown at you as well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Crayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2011, 09:04:48 pm »

Man, it makes me... SO SAD. To see that nobody mentioned the best PS1 game of all. Legend of Mana. Man, I swear, that game is so, so amazing. If you haven't played it, or haven't heard of it. Go check it out. I promise, it's worth it.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2011, 09:21:37 pm »

Man, I have Legend of Mana, but I never did play it very far through. I remember a lot of people, including me, thought it was a letdown from Secret of Mana. I guess I should dust it off again?

I also thought Future Cop LAPD was pretty great (as one of the games rarely mentioned on these kinds of lists)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6