Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles  (Read 10295 times)

Crayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »

Oh, HARDLY a let down. Such a cool game. See, the one that was a let down was uhhhm... The one that came out for Ps2. I didn't even try that one, it looked... just awful. But yeah, Legend of Mana has so many quests, and I always thought it was super fun getting the artifacts and placing them in the world, making your own map and stuff. Good times. Also! If you're a 100% type person, don't forget to talk to your cactus after EVERY quest. It's tough sometimes, but it's do-able.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 10:21:44 pm »

What, noone mentioned the PS1 port of X-Com yet? It was my introduction to X-Com and I always thought it had better music than the origonal, I still get the interceptor theme stuck in my head.

And yea Legend of Mana was awesome for the first few playthroughs.  Once you got to nightmare difficulty though you are hitting for entire life bars in one melee hit, mobs have dozens if not hundreds of bars of life, special moves seem like a waste of time compared to just comboing unless it's AoE.  And they actually end up used more for their incredibly long invulnerability frames than to actually inflict damage. 

Legend of Mana was a great game, but don't worry too much about full 100% completion with all the moves and max level, or it will suck the life out of you.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 10:34:07 pm »

Legend of mana was pretty awesome. You could craft your spells, golems, custom weapons (stats, name, even a special attack), raise pets, tend an orchant, and literally build the world map, really satisfying to play and awesome art style. Honestly I think it was a vast improvement from secret of mana.

Valkyrie profile was one of the best RPGs I ever played. Its like if you picked a JRPG, made it ALOT less linear, added TONS of different characters, awesome art and gave it a plot based on norse mythology.

There's also monster rancher 1 and 2 if you're into pet raising and stuff. Pretty interesing with the way you can get and combine monsters, and the raising system is more complex then it looks.

I never tried the personas for PS1 though, are they worth a shot? Love the series.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:42:39 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 11:05:00 pm »

You don't really need the Legend of Mana combat exploit.

It is actually... really easy when you get down to it (Really really easy >_>)

Not that there arn't difficult enemies... it is just that the curve of experience is where the enemies won't be getting tougher as you get better. You get too awsome too fast and the enemies get slightly tougher.

My favorite weapon is still the fists.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:07:33 pm by Neonivek »

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 07:54:46 am »

Damn, a lot of the ones i've reccomended have already been said!

Uhh... Jersey Devil? That was hella fun.

And...Alundra 2. It's nothing like Alundra 1 in any way, but it has pirates, clockwork men n' stuff.

Lets see. I would say Rollcage. It's kinda like wipeout but also kinda not like wipeout.
Everybody!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 08:12:23 am »

Lets see. I would say Rollcage. It's kinda like wipeout but also kinda not like wipeout.

That game was awesome at the time.  Sequel was kinda sucky though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 09:56:57 am »

Did we already suggest Luna?

What about Rhapsody? (was that PS1 or PS2?)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:02:44 am by Neonivek »

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2011, 03:05:38 am »

Man, it makes me... SO SAD. To see that nobody mentioned the best PS1 game of all. Legend of Mana. Man, I swear, that game is so, so amazing. If you haven't played it, or haven't heard of it. Go check it out. I promise, it's worth it.
Everyone was mentioning it, you sure you read the right topic? :V

Or, well, not everyone, but someone mentioned it on page 1. And another guy on another page.

Anyway, I found Crash Bandicoot to be a good time killer. But it's already mentioned so...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:09:27 am by justinlee999 »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 03:11:24 am »

Nobody has mentioned the Lunar series of RPGs yet? Those games are solid RPGs with anime cutscenes and they were fun games.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2011, 02:22:44 pm »

Nobody has mentioned the Lunar series of RPGs yet? Those games are solid RPGs with anime cutscenes and they were fun games.

Hey... I DID!

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2011, 02:50:16 pm »

Did we already suggest Lunar?

What about Rhapsody? (was that PS1 or PS2?)
I was considering mentioning those, but decided not to since they are somewhat of an acquired taste (Rhapsody more-so than Lunar, heh)
I'd also second Alundra 2, I never played the first one but the second is pretty darn good.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:20:55 pm by Haschel »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2011, 01:42:15 pm »

No mention of Chrono Cross?

Just because it wasn't as good as its predecessor doesn't mean it completely sucked...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2011, 01:53:37 pm »

Just remembered a nice game I used to play in my childhood.

Team Buddies.

Seriously, it's something like an RTS, with a touch of Worms' humor and a fast paced combat system. Should you be able to play with someone else, this is a nice game to play competetively.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2011, 02:13:51 pm »

No mention of Chrono Cross?

Just because it wasn't as good as its predecessor doesn't mean it completely sucked...

It certainly wasn't as good as Crono Trigger and a lot of it feels like they nearly completely ignored the first game (It is to the extent where it feels like a completely different game rewritten to be Crono Trigger... and it very well could be given how throw away the connections often are).

Though it is by far not "certifiably awesome" on its own merits and that is why no one mentioned it. Though if people love it then so be it.

I mean I could have said Herc's Adventures... but that game isn't awsome... (at least IMO, at a certain point of the game you will be SOOOO lost)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2011, 10:46:51 am »

Tail of the Sun
Basically a simple cave man simulation, where you have to run around and collect food for your tribe by whomping prehistoric baddies and bringing their carcasses and bones back to the village. It's pretty fun and relaxing. It's not a 300+ hour JRPG romp, but it's pretty unique. Haven't seen any games like it. For some reason, it's on the japanese playstation store, but not the north american one. Too bad, cuz I'd totally buy it. :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6