Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles  (Read 10181 times)

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name me some certifiably awesome PS1 titles
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

I second Xeno Gears.  One of the most epic games on the PS.  Call me what you want, but I liked it better than FF7.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2011, 04:15:55 pm »

Spyro 3 was great. Might not be certifiably, but eeeh.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »

Call me what you want, but I liked it better than FF7.

Say why. I know FF7 backwards and forwards, so I'm interested in your comparison.

The impression that I've gotten out of Xeno Gears is that its even more of an RPG-opera. I say that knowing very little about it though.

My limit for the amount of standard anime I have to deal with in a video game or RPG is pretty much being met by Suikoden 2 right now. Anything more than that and it starts to lose the reasons I enjoy these things. (I like anime but Big Eyes Small Mouth 24/7-style games tend to turn me off.)

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2011, 04:32:45 pm »

Honestly FF7 has some aspects that can hurt the experience. People often forget its story and characterisation is by far not perfect.

I actually found it too boring to complete the second I was out of Midgar.

The impression that I've gotten out of Xeno Gears is that its even more of an RPG-opera.

No your spot on. It has the style of those REALLY old Space animes. It is a Space Opera RPGs

MIND YOU... I consider FF8 to be a Soap Opera RPG. The story itself is boring and all the tension is in the characters themselves.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2011, 04:34:23 pm »

It has the style of those REALLY old Space animes

Yeah that's....partially why I've never picked it up. I'll give it a whirl.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2011, 04:36:03 pm »

It has the style of those REALLY old Space animes

Yeah that's....partially why I've never picked it up. I'll give it a whirl.

You want to know what I consider the oddest thing in the game?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2011, 10:09:56 am »

Say why. I know FF7 backwards and forwards, so I'm interested in your comparison.

For me, the sci-fi story and robots and all that jazz just did it for me.  I loved the music too.  I'm not saying FF7 didn't have any of these aspects, but for whatever reason XenoGears just clicked for me.

Note : I never did finish FF7 either, but of course I heard about it from everyone I know.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2011, 10:12:56 am »

Also, I saw XenoGears available on the PSN.  If I EVER finish Dark Souls, I will probably buy it.  All this talk about PS1 games makes me want to take a ride on the nostalgia train.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:00 am »

Now I want a copy of Xenogears... PSN you say?

I kinda liked ff7, but not as much as any of the others. I think I prefer it to ff2 though.

Might I suggest Monley Hero? It's a shameless zelda clone, but you're a monkey...

Everybody!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:15 am »

Azure Dreams

yessssssss

and the tombas.

An interesting, all-consuming romp is Arc the Lad I + II. Arc the Lad I is a strategy-RPG, rather basic, with amusing characters and good presentation and music. Its story is linear and its focused on each battle, with no shops or anything of the sort.

However, you can import all of your items, characters, and experience into Arc the Lad II, which is a more Disgaea-ish Strategy RPG with a world map and towns to wander around, things to buy, side quests... the amount of stuff that carries over is ludicrous. In fact, without carrying data over, you miss out on a tremendous side quest and the most powerful character in the game.

Both games have some flaws, but I remember them for their incredibly distinct characters. Arc, the hero of the first game especially, is the typical 'chosen-one hero' but he actually has a voice, and isn't at ALL whiny, childish, or stupidly bullheaded. He's surprisingly calm and rational, while also being moral. It's actually really odd for a main character. The others are all good too, but the oddness of the main character is what struck me.

[/ramble]

[edit] You'll probably find it as the Arc the Lad Collection. There's even a monster arena disc you can put in, using your AtL 2 data for a bunch of other stuff. And prizes! I think. Also, it was translated by Working Designs, so it's surprisingly bearable!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:29:39 am by Keiseth »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]