Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 593097 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.7 released!
« Reply #2880 on: July 23, 2016, 06:42:34 am »

t's completely realistic.  Less than a century ago, German as spoken in far north Germany was 100% mutually unintelligible with German as spoken in far south Germany.  Also, American English, British English,and Australian English are full-blown dialects right now, that are very likely to go mutually unintelligible within the next two centuries or so.

At that point though, it becomes a new language. Obviously the line of delineation is very blurry, but in terms of a common definition, if it reaches the point where it was mutually unintelligible it would be considered a new language or a split (Slavic languages for instance).

In terms of the second point, I went to a conference a while back which had a talk on this very issue. The research it was based on showed that all languages are coming closer together (which is pretty great when you think about it) with more and more common words across all languages. More than that, sentence structure is moving to a more latin-based structure for languages with very different structures. The reasons for this are quite obvious (like the internet, the proliferation of English, Hollywood).

With that in mind, we might go closer to a URR universe which is dominated by dialects instead of languages!!

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: July 24, 2016, 11:19:51 am »

I've been commissioned to write a four-part series on qualitative procedural generation for Rock, Paper, Shotgun! Societies, practices, cultures, beliefs, and so forth, and how to integrate them into gameplay. I think one part will be going up each fortnight for the next three fortnights, but here's the first one. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/22/future-of-procedural-generation-1/

The comments themselves are also useful to read, since many of them act as a useful "corrective" to advocates of PCG lore. It's important to know a technology's weaknesses as well as its strengths.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2882 on: July 24, 2016, 05:06:14 pm »

With that in mind, we might go closer to a URR universe which is dominated by dialects instead of languages!!

Interesting! I do think it will be fascinating to see how languages look when my generation (as someone in my mid-twenties) are expiring; fifty years from now I'll be interested to see how the world's major languages have shifted, and as you say, probably come closer together. For URR, though, I am definitely leaning further towards adding in a SMALL number of languages atop the dialects, maybe only 3/4 per world over large geographic areas... but I haven't decided yet!

The comments themselves are also useful to read, since many of them act as a useful "corrective" to advocates of PCG lore. It's important to know a technology's weaknesses as well as its strengths.

Oh, totally - replying to them all is one of the things I need to do now before I go to bed!

And now for this week's update:

---

Sentence Generation

This week I’ve been adding in a truly titanic amount of speech variation into the game. I’m only now beginning to realize the size and scope of this task, given the level of variety and interest and complexity I want to include, but at this point it’s close to around ~1/3rd of the default conversation options done. There’s a vast number of archetypes, a truly gigantic number of clauses and descriptive modifiers (a comment a character might make about the word “world” if they’re from a particularly isolationist nation, for instance, which might be something like “frightening in its size and distances”). I’ve already written several thousand of lines of speech, variations in those, templates, words, clauses, kennings, all kinds of stuff, and written the (actually remarkably simple) code that pieces them all together. I’ve reached the end of all the “default” questions which you can ask anyone (and their answers), and I’m now moving onto the class-specific questions (and their answers), and then after that onto the special answers that change their sentence structure, not just their sentence content, depending on the NPC. By this I mean, you can always answer the question “What is your religion’s most sacred relic?” with an answer of the sort “Our most sacred relic is X”. However, a question like “What is your opinion about the ongoing war?” cannot be answered with a single sentence with words switched out, so needs a more complex set of answers tethered to the opinions of that NPC.

There basically hasn’t been much new coding going on since last time, so below you’ll find two conversations I had with different people, and how different they turned out (so the same kind of thing I showed off last week). You’ll notice that certain words get “expanded” upon, such as that “in which we all serve and are served” bit of the first picture below; these are bits of flavour text heavily dependent of course upon religions, cultures, backgrounds, etc, and these are one of the major things that will give you a hint about the background of the person, when they elect to give you a bit of their perspective on an issue you’re discussing. By the end of this process there will be an *incredible* number of these little expansions; as above, I’ve only done about 1/3rd of the default conversation options so far (not to mention negative replies, replies that can’t have a default form, and other stuff) and already there are several hundred of these. Naturally some political beliefs are easier to find expansions for – consider how much of a conversation someone from a pacifist nation would comment on, compared to how much of a conversation someone from a planned economy nation would have a comment relevant to planned economy to make – but I’m trying to come up with expansions for even the less-obvious ideologies too.

Anyway, here’s two examples of one conversation again, and you can see these are already more complex than last week:

I love how distinctive these are, and how you can even in just a few snippets of conversation start to guess at some of the beliefs and backgrounds of the people and their nations. In that last one you can see that we need a scroll bar for the conversation window, which is coming shortly.

For next time, I’ll be continuing to put in the massive databases that underlie the sentence generation system. I’m also starting to put in the first parts of two next things, both designed to enhance the smoothness and realism of the conversation system, instead of reducing it to what can look like a question-and-answer session. Although I’m super-proud of the above screenshots, they ARE quite question-and-answery, and this needs to be changed, and that’s what these two new elements will help us towards (the “how interested am I in this conversation” meter will be coming later). These two new elements are:

Counter Questions: this is what I’m calling it when the character you’re talking to asks you something back! They’ll reply (or not) to your question, and then ask you a question back; sometimes the same question, sometimes a related question, and sometimes a more general “Why are you asking that”, “Why do you want to know?”, etc. You’ll then get a reply option (see below) that you can use, or not, depending on your preference.
Replies: you as the player can respond to a specific thing that another character said and question them further on a topic that emerges in the process of conversation. For instance, if they mention a person, you can immediately say “Can you tell me more about [person]”, if you want to. Alternatively, as above, you can offer replies to what someone asks you, and will have the option to tell the truth, lie, semi-lie, etc.

These do require a bit of work, and I want to get all the “default” stuff done first, so I won’t mention these for another week or two, but I wanted to note that I’m aware the structure and flow of conversations needs a little work, and I’ll be working on that soon.

See you all next week!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: July 24, 2016, 06:41:11 pm »

Given much thought to natural dialogue? You gotta small talk before jumping right into the greater mysteries, and before that you gotta clinch a conversation. Walking up to people and chattering should go down well in some countries and much less so in others. Oh and take it from me; being too random in conversation will eventually get on some people's nerves.

The conversations sound like they should either be full shakespeare or before a judge :P. Throw in some informal shit!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:43:47 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2884 on: July 24, 2016, 07:15:18 pm »

Oh, yeah! I need to add greetings and the like in the near future. There's also something else that I'm not 100% sure I like, but I can't put my finger on it. Are some of the comments too long? I think I might want to reduce the number of extra clauses...

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: July 24, 2016, 08:28:11 pm »

Are some of the comments too long?

It's your extraneous sentence clauses (generally the one surrounded by commas and are seen as pointless asides). At first, they're cool to view as they add a bunch of world-building detail, but they quickly appear silly and stupid after repeated exposure. It almost sounds like, well...

Quote from: T3, Totally Not A Criminal
"I HATE CRIME, OH YES I DO, ESPECIALLY VIOLENT CRIMES. THEY ARE THE WORST. THOSE CRIMINALS ARE SO VIOLENT AND EVIL AND WRONG. WE NEED TO LOCK THEM AWAY, AND ALSO MAKE SURE THEY ARE SAFE AND SECURE IN THEIR PRISON CELLS, BECAUSE THE NINE GODS KNOWS WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY ARE NOT SAFE AND SECURE IN THEIR PRISON CELLS."

Or, I guess, you could tone down the number of extra clauses and see if that might work out.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:34:24 pm by Skynet »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: July 24, 2016, 09:34:05 pm »

It almost sounds like, well...

Quote from: T3, Totally Not A Criminal
"I HATE CRIME, OH YES I DO, ESPECIALLY VIOLENT CRIMES. THEY ARE THE WORST. THOSE CRIMINALS ARE SO VIOLENT AND EVIL AND WRONG. WE NEED TO LOCK THEM AWAY, AND ALSO MAKE SURE THEY ARE SAFE AND SECURE IN THEIR PRISON CELLS, BECAUSE THE NINE GODS KNOWS WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY ARE NOT SAFE AND SECURE IN THEIR PRISON CELLS."

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:37:14 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2887 on: July 25, 2016, 03:40:47 am »

Nice parody - but silly AND stupid? Yikes. I don't want either of those! I'll make some changes. Now I've slept on it, I think it also highlights the importance of having questions come back at the player, shorter replies, and also varying the punctuation at the end of sentences, so allowing "..." and "!" as well as "." according to mood. I'll put some work in and see how things look next week. Equally, I also think adding personal detail will help, so sometimes people will just tell you where their cathedral is, and other times add a story about a time they visited, a friend who visited, etc - that should also makes things less formal.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:43:00 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: July 25, 2016, 04:01:06 am »

Well, I mean it wouldn't be so bad if people who are "Long Winded" could have those odd stream of consciousness responses.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2889 on: July 25, 2016, 07:26:32 am »

This is just a mock-up, but I think this kind of conversational style is a bit nicer - thoughts?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: July 25, 2016, 07:42:38 am »

Much better. "I am" would be more believable as "I'm" though.
Reading a thinner book

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: July 25, 2016, 12:36:14 pm »

Definitely going in the right direction, although I personally think these should be tied to some sort of variables - as Neonivek said, having a 'long winded' personality trait, as would variance depending on how much they liked the player. If I was talking to a guard, I'd expect them to just say 'I'm a guard' not list exactly where and who to unless I pushed them. This should hopefully be tied even further into personalities, with traits like 'trying to impress' or 'guarded' and so on changing the length of responses.

Mostly, it's just trying to avoid the age old 'over sharing' of NPCs - whilst it's a fine line between not giving the player enough info/driving them forward, if every NPC just overshares at the tip of a hat it breaks immersion a bit.

There's a more important point here though - in URR there are hundreds and hundreds of people to talk to and you need a natural way of making sure the player doesn't feel like they have to talk to everyone. I'd suggest the best way to do this is to have a number of levels of how talkative people are (bonus points if it's about certain subjects) - I'd expect preists to talk my ear off about festivals, and generals to talk my ear off about war plans, but not really the other way around. I'd therefore choose to be selective just out of necessity. Similarly, I'd expect guards/farmers/so on to have relatively little to say to me about anything, unless I needed to know something very specific to their job.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2892 on: July 27, 2016, 01:46:33 pm »

Yeah - I'm actually moving sentence complexity to an individual instead of nation thing (more info next week); and yeah, I really want to avoid the old oversharing problem, but I really like the idea of people being inherently very talkative on certain subjects. It makes total sense, of course, but I hadn't considered it before! That will definitely go in; it'll be entire conversation topics (e.g ."Art") instead of specific questions, and I think that'll actually work quite nicely.

In the mean time, here's a little piece I wrote for Vice Gaming about PCG in RimWorld!

http://www.vice.com/read/you-can-spin-your-own-sci-fi-tale-in-rimworld

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2893 on: July 30, 2016, 10:53:05 am »

After last week’s post, I was very pleased with the kind of variation in styles of speaking I was getting, but something just didn’t feel quite right. It took a bit of time and quite a bit of feedback to figure out what it was, and that then triggered a second realisation about something else that needed changing, and in turn, a third. And a fourth and a fifth!

First, length and clauses. Many of these are simply too long, and there are too many additional clauses. I think the extra clauses will become just a little bit annoying after a certain point, especially if you’re talking to lots of people from one civilization close together. As such, I’ve made some sentences shorter, and reduced the likelihood of clauses being added to sentences. This also meant a change to sentence complexity: I’ve decided to actually make quite a substantial change here and change sentence complexity from a value/modifier embodied in a civilization to a value embodied individually in each person you encounter. I realized that since you’ll spend a decent length of time in each nation at once, you’re probably going to be spending a while talking to a range of people from the same background, and so I want to boost variation between people more than I want to boost variation between civilizations. As a result, each person now has a sentence complexity modifier specific to them. This has five variations, which I’m currently just storing as 1-5; that’s an x/15 chance that each sentence they say might have a clause. This means even the most wordy person will add in extra detail clauses in 1/3 sentences, but for most it will be far rarer. I’ve tried this out a little and I’m much happier with the kinds of sentences it produces (along with the other changes). Equally, it means that that kind of extra info will come to the player more gradually, which I think is also beneficial.

Secondly, punctuation. The end of sentences now varies according to the mood of the person speaking them; a hostile NPC will end with “.” or “…” to everything they say, a neutral NPC will end with “.”, whilst an NPC very positively disposed towards you will end sentences with a mix of “.” and “!”. Again, a very simple thing, but it’s already making a big different to the ebb and flow of conversation.

Thirdly, and related to the above – formality. Many of the sentences were just too formal and rigid and didn’t have the kind of flow that you would expect sentences to have. To adjust this, I’ve made some changes to quite a few of the sentences, added in the possibility for things like “Hmm…” to appear at the start of sentences, or things like “Let me think”, or “That’s hard to remember”, or “I don’t know much, but I’ll tell you what I recall”, things like that – I’ve also added in more use of “I’m” instead of “I am”, “I’ve” instead of “I have”, etc, and so on. The combination of these various alterations seems to be working quite nicely, and gives a far more conversational feel to the whole thing.

Fourthly, visuals. I felt that using the skin tone for the sentences on both sides of the conversation is making the actual conversation window look a bit too thick and same-y; instead, the player’s comments will always be the same colour as their @ symbol, i.e. white, whilst those from other characters will change according to skin tone. This breaks up the visuals and seems to make conversations a little easier to parse, which is obviously very important!

Fifthly, stories – see below in the example for precisely what I mean by that.

As such, this is how conversations should look from this point onwards:

There’s still a lot more to be done, of course – like adding “Hmm…” and all the other stuff described above, but I think this is a great step forward.

More next week!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: July 30, 2016, 03:23:14 pm »

Sure you posted the right image? That's the same as before.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 221