Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 592115 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.7 released!
« Reply #3075 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:29 am »

Glad to hear you're getting better! And I like that book cover!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3076 on: November 23, 2017, 02:26:40 am »

Give me updates...  >:(
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: November 23, 2017, 08:33:06 am »

About the earlier suggestion of joining major/minor factions/guilds/etc, a beautiful idea.

However, to prevent abuse (or just shenanigans), itd make sense that joining any faction would get you a negative to factions who happen to not like them ;)

I would LOVE to see this game turn more into a sandbox RNG open-world experience where you can choose to play in "free mode" and just do whatever the hell you want. I know every dev wants some sort of "point" to the game, but to be honest... Replay value is a huge thing, and allowing a sandbox options opens the door to so many players who would otherwise not find much interest in the game.

Me, for example. I'll definitely try out the main story schtick but once that gets boring, I can put in thousands of hours into just wandering the world, building up my characters' backstories, writing RP AARs about it on forums/reddit, watching the world revolve, and getting in with my hardcore crafting addiction.

...Speaking of, funny how many people are obsessive crafter/hoarders on Bay12 o.O That little poll thread we have running is a massive list of people who love to make and acquire random junk. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

mete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: December 18, 2017, 08:03:57 am »

any news on this?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: December 22, 2017, 10:54:42 pm »

About the earlier suggestion of joining major/minor factions/guilds/etc, a beautiful idea.

However, to prevent abuse (or just shenanigans), itd make sense that joining any faction would get you a negative to factions who happen to not like them ;)

I would LOVE to see this game turn more into a sandbox RNG open-world experience where you can choose to play in "free mode" and just do whatever the hell you want. I know every dev wants some sort of "point" to the game, but to be honest... Replay value is a huge thing, and allowing a sandbox options opens the door to so many players who would otherwise not find much interest in the game.

Me, for example. I'll definitely try out the main story schtick but once that gets boring, I can put in thousands of hours into just wandering the world, building up my characters' backstories, writing RP AARs about it on forums/reddit, watching the world revolve, and getting in with my hardcore crafting addiction.

...Speaking of, funny how many people are obsessive crafter/hoarders on Bay12 o.O That little poll thread we have running is a massive list of people who love to make and acquire random junk. :P

On this general point...I find it baffling how many large games do not offer an open "free roam" game mode either as some sort of bonus for beating the game or just a type of mode you can play.

Just strip the main quests/forced events/time limits/etc and plop the player down to roam.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: December 23, 2017, 10:27:55 am »

On this general point...I find it baffling how many large games do not offer an open "free roam" game mode either as some sort of bonus for beating the game or just a type of mode you can play.

I think think free roam is great as a reward for beating the game, but I know a lot of devs feel that free roam mode will ruin the intended experience. I tend to agree with that, as a lot of people will try that, exhaust their enthusiasm and then never get to the 'best' bit.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: January 03, 2018, 12:04:05 pm »

Do you plan on letting the player create something (like opening a workshop or sth) or pursue a profession (like a trader, lawyer or a priest) and interact within the existing economic, legal or religious system and perhaps changing it to some degree?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: January 31, 2018, 08:17:54 am »

Judging by his last post on his site, everything's gonna be moved to a new flashy site and i doubt he'll keep posting here.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3083 on: March 01, 2018, 02:07:48 am »

Hurry up I need something to sink my teeth into.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3084 on: April 07, 2018, 08:31:26 pm »

Finish 0.8 damnit!

I would like that of all things...

Thank you for the update! Hope Canada treats you well, and you fully recover without problem.

Thanks my friend! I've just posted a new blog update (see bottom of this big reply) with some info...

Glad to hear you're getting better! And I like that book cover!

Thanks! I have to say, I absolutely love it. I'm so happy with what they've done!

Give me updates...  >:(

See bottom of this message!

Agreed, definitely something I want

Also, agreed

I... am still not sure how I feel about this idea! Of course, I just need to finally get 0.8 out first and then take stock of what on Earth I should do and where I should go from here, so let's not get too far ahead, but... I'm still, personally, inclined away from the pure sandbox option. But we'll see. One step at a time :).

any news on this?

Hopefully some in this message and the blog post at the bottom!

Just strip the main quests/forced events/time limits/etc and plop the player down to roam.

Interesting; I don't think I totally agree per se, but for some worlds, I definitely do.

I think think free roam is great as a reward for beating the game, but I know a lot of devs feel that free roam mode will ruin the intended experience. I tend to agree with that, as a lot of people will try that, exhaust their enthusiasm and then never get to the 'best' bit.

Yeah - this is kind of my main concern, too!

Do you plan on letting the player create something (like opening a workshop or sth) or pursue a profession (like a trader, lawyer or a priest) and interact within the existing economic, legal or religious system and perhaps changing it to some degree?

Perhaps; again, "one step at a time" is where I am right now, but I would only be thinking of implementing those kinds of ideas if I thought they would significantly enhance, in some sense, the core game...

Judging by his last post on his site, everything's gonna be moved to a new flashy site and i doubt he'll keep posting here.

Oh no, I will always cross-post updates here and in other locations :).

Hurry up I need something to sink my teeth into.

I hope these replies and this post give something!

---

And as promised, here's an update: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2018/04/08/april-2018-update/

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: June 08, 2018, 01:28:42 pm »

Having read the update from April, I just wanted to wish you all the best and hope that you find time/energy to continue developing this incredibly ambitious project.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: June 08, 2018, 07:34:18 pm »

Having read the update from April, I just wanted to wish you all the best and hope that you find time/energy to continue developing this incredibly ambitious project.

That reminds me, there was a general site update yesterday about how he’s starting to get back into the coding mindset and practise a bit more which is cool.

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2018/06/07/i-did-some-programming/

Most importantly though his health is getting better so I suppose my prayers of “don’t dead” were highly effacious!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3087 on: June 09, 2018, 02:19:53 pm »

Thanks so much, Kaje, I really appreciate it - and thanks for posting the link, Dorsi!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: June 10, 2018, 11:31:53 am »

I'm very glad to know you're health is getting better, that's the most important thing.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3089 on: August 25, 2018, 02:06:14 pm »

I'm very glad to know you're health is getting better, that's the most important thing.

Thanks friend :).

So I have some news! Firstly, I've now shifted over to a brand new website at www.markrjohnsongames.com, which will FAR better accommodate all the stuff I do, and was hand-designed for me to be something that that stand the test of time and allow me to fit everything I do into a single site.

As part of this, I'm also now resuming monthly blog posts! August's is now up on both the old site - http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2018/08/25/new-website/ - and the new - https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2018/08/25/new-website/.

AND, finally, I am still coding the final fragments of 0.8, slowly but surely...
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 221