Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 592997 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

0.11 update #6!

Loads of new terrain, procedurally generated statues for all kinds of places, new religious relics, new aspects of city generation, and more!

https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2023/07/12/ultima-ratio-regum-0-11-update-6-relics-lands-and-statues/

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile

Hey!  I'm sorry if this is a very basic question, but I couldn't find the answer to it in the guidebook or on the internet.

It's mentioned in the conversations tab that the player can wake up sleeping NPCs, but how does one actually do that?  Attempting to (s)peak just results in a "That person is asleep..."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 03:54:01 am by sofanthiel »
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Hey!  I'm sorry if this is a very basic question, but I couldn't find the answer to it in the guidebook or on the internet.

It's mentioned in the conversations tab that the player can wake up sleeping NPCs, but how does one actually do that?  Attempting to peak just results in a "That person is asleep..."

Hi Sofanthiel! This is a great question - and you're right, I don't think you currently can! Thanks for spotting this one. In 0.12 I plan to hugely expand the conversation system, so I've made a note that this is something I need to come back to later :).

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile

Thanks for the reply!  Also, apologies for a part of my question being crossed out; I didn't realize square brackets with an "s" inside caused that :)
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Thanks for the reply!  Also, apologies for a part of my question being crossed out; I didn't realize square brackets with an "s" inside caused that :)

Haha, all good!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile

Ia Ia!
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Ia Ia!

The procedurally-generated goat of the woods with a random.randint(0, 1000) young!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023
« Reply #3295 on: September 30, 2023, 01:05:42 pm »

Is there a minimum age to which the player's expected death date can fall? It would look a bit odd if the message for "you're about to die in your twenties because you drank 500,000 bottles of booze" is still "as you get older." ;p
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Is there a minimum age to which the player's expected death date can fall? It would look a bit odd if the message for "you're about to die in your twenties because you drank 500,000 bottles of booze" is still "as you get older." ;p

Heh, that's a fun question! I honestly don't know yet. That said though, getting the money to buy an unlimited amount of alcohol would not be trivial, but if you're starting in your early twenties, I'd probably stop it from falling too far below... I don't know, early 40s? It's a great question though, I'll have to think about it!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those keys look great! I'm repeating myself, but your ASCII artwork just really just next level.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Those keys look great! I'm repeating myself, but your ASCII artwork just really just next level.

Thanks AlStar! I really appreciate it :). I'm glad you like them - I was really happy with how this second attempt at keys came out. I first (2014??) thought it was challenging to make a mundane item look interesting, but now I just see it really was a question of artistic competence...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Friends, I am excited to say that I'm going to be talking at this year's Roguelike Celebration - https://www.roguelike.club/event2023.html - in just a fraction over 24 hours from now!

I'll be talking about how to procedurally generate cryptic, La-Mulana / The Outer Wilds, -esque puzzles. Should be good :). Do come along if you can! (Video will be up on YouTube later)

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221