Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 591315 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 02:55:01 pm »

You mean characters like trackers(better speed on the map), trainers (trains soldiers), bards (morale boost), etc? Dealing with unique characters would be difficult but having some non-warriors on your team would make the game realistic. Which army didn't have medics in the history? :D

I don't have any ideas about relationships topic. There should be a relationship status about your friends and enemies but how would that work? Your enemies randomly attacking you on the map or something? Hmmmm...

Something along those lines. There will definitely be medic and other non-combat characters you can recruit, from all species, cities, factions, whatever. You'll definitely want medics there when you have a pike lodged in your face! As for how your enemies attack you on the map... well, that's still being worked on, but I'm very happy with how it's now looking :)
It may work out like this:

Player and Bandit squad leader are enemies
Smuggler squad leader is friends with Bandit squad leader and Player but he likes Bandit squad leader more.

Player kills Bandit squad leader by taking a quest about it, randomly encountering, tracking him down, whatever.
One of these might happen:
Smuggler squad leader tracks down Player and attacks him. If Player can't calm him down (diplomacy skill check) he becomes an enemy
Smuggler squad leader sends a warning to Player. Relationship status becomes Neutral
Smuggler squad leader doesn't do anything because Player is more strong than he is and Player helped him a lot. but becomes more catious against Player

We have a long way down for an update like this. Alpha isn't even released yet but I'm just throwing out ideas.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 02:56:18 pm »

Sounds cool.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2011, 09:46:27 am »

Smuggler squad leader is friends with Bandit squad leader and Player but he likes Bandit squad leader more.

Player kills Bandit squad leader by taking a quest about it, randomly encountering, tracking him down, whatever.
Smuggler squad leader tracks down Player and attacks him. If Player can't calm him down (diplomacy skill check) he becomes an enemy
Smuggler squad leader sends a warning to Player. Relationship status becomes Neutral
Smuggler squad leader doesn't do anything because Player is more strong than he is and Player helped him a lot. but becomes more catious against Player

We have a long way down for an update like this. Alpha isn't even released yet but I'm just throwing out ideas.

That sounds about right, actually - however, individuals and factions will only track you down with violence intended if they think they have a legitimate shot. Which is to say, the bandit leader would only come after you on his own if you were alone, or maybe had one ally; he'd bring some allies if you had a small bunch, and if you wearing leading an army, he'd presumably either try to catch you when you are on your own, or get back at you by non-physical means...

Sounds cool.

Thanks! Another update coming this Monday, at which point - hopefully - my coding laptop should be back within my possession, and programming can resume...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:21:09 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2011, 11:44:59 am »

That sounds about right, actually - however, individuals and factions will only track you down with violence intended if they think they have a legitimate shot. Which is to say, the bandit leader would only come after you on his own if you were alone, or maybe had one ally; he'd bring some allies if you had a small bunch, and if you wearing leading an army, he'd presumably either try to catch you when you are on your own, or get back at you by non-physical means...
Sounds good and realistic :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2011, 04:07:13 pm »

Sounds good and realistic :)

I hope so! Got my laptop back, finally, so I should be able to resume programming asap.

New devblog entry about character creation. I'm trying to do something unusual, and allow you to choose starting items as well as stats/skills, but remove 'points' from the same pool you use to allocate yourself starting stats or skills. So, anyway, http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2011/10/24/character-creation/ - let me know what you think!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2011, 05:29:19 pm »

Just a few thoughts that occurred to me while reading the latest devblog.

Buying items with the same points you use to buy skills is a bit risky. As you advance skills and attributes while progressing through the game they'll stack with the ones you bought at character creation, whereas items will generally be replaced as you obtain better ones. This makes it a better choice to invest as many points as possible in skills and attributes and only take the bare minimum items required for initial survival. A Bronze Axe is only useful until you find a Steel Axe, but +1 Strength lasts forever. It's not necessarily gamebreaking or anything, but doesn't feel balanced.

Your home town is selected at random, based on those owned by your species. I considered letting you select a town, but that would reveal the map, and exploration, discovering new lands and the like are going to end up as a significant goal in the game.

I don't think you've ever mentioned how map-generation works. Is it procedurally generated at the start of each game, or a more DF-like system where you can play in the same world over and over again? If it's the latter, I would put more weight in letting the player choose his starting city, otherwise it probably doesn't particularly matter to most players.

As a compromise, you could let the player choose a city without revealing it's location on the map, and just give population/racial makeup/industries/whatever as information. Or only reveal territory owned by the race you selected, which would probably be considered pretty common knowledge within a society.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2011, 05:37:56 pm »

Putting this on watch.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »

Buying items with the same points you use to buy skills is a bit risky. As you advance skills and attributes while progressing through the game they'll stack with the ones you bought at character creation, whereas items will generally be replaced as you obtain better ones. This makes it a better choice to invest as many points as possible in skills and attributes and only take the bare minimum items required for initial survival. A Bronze Axe is only useful until you find a Steel Axe, but +1 Strength lasts forever. It's not necessarily gamebreaking or anything, but doesn't feel balanced.

This is true. At least in DF, you just had to find a guard to get him killed and loot his corpse.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 06:33:04 pm »

Unless it's like DF with the skills and stuff. So you can choose steel axe and start off untrained in axe skill, with 500 xp to get to basic. Or start with the bronze axe and basic, and 1000 xp to get to trained.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 06:41:23 pm »

Will titans be able to wield you and/or other NPCs/animals as weapons?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2011, 09:18:21 am »

Your home town is selected at random, based on those owned by your species. I considered letting you select a town, but that would reveal the map, and exploration, discovering new lands and the like are going to end up as a significant goal in the game.

I don't think you've ever mentioned how map-generation works. Is it procedurally generated at the start of each game, or a more DF-like system where you can play in the same world over and over again? If it's the latter, I would put more weight in letting the player choose his starting city, otherwise it probably doesn't particularly matter to most players.

As a compromise, you could let the player choose a city without revealing it's location on the map, and just give population/racial makeup/industries/whatever as information. Or only reveal territory owned by the race you selected, which would probably be considered pretty common knowledge within a society.

Many thanks for the feedback! To answer your points in order:

- I completely agree about items/skills. Skills do stay with you forever, and items don't. On the other hand, choosing items might have life easier for new players, and you could always give you outdated items to your allies when you find something better. For an experienced player, I strongly suspect it will be far more worthwhile to go all skills, but I think it could be a little bit more friendly for new players, or for players who quickly want to recruit and arm some allies.

- The map is generated at the start of each game. In the future, you might be able to play multiple games in one world, but not yet. I think you'll be able to choose what kind of civilization you want to be born in - militarized, cultural, magical, whatever; human, dwarf, elf, etc - then the game picks one for you. Which is pretty much what you just said, really. Once you start in your city, you can only see the areas your civilization has explored.

Putting this on watch.
Unless it's like DF with the skills and stuff. So you can choose steel axe and start off untrained in axe skill, with 500 xp to get to basic. Or start with the bronze axe and basic, and 1000 xp to get to trained.

Thanks! Each weapon (like 'hitting' weapons - axes, clubs, flails, and maces) has multiple skills which improve your damage, accuracy, and a few other things. Experience for each weapon (and everything else) simply builds up as you use it. Experience is, I think, going to be a tricky one to balance between all weapons etc, so we'll have to see how it plays out in the first alpha.

Will titans be able to wield you and/or other NPCs/animals as weapons?

Once dead, yes. While alive, huge creatures can pick up and throw around small ones, so a Titan can certainly try and pick you up and hurl you into a tree. You will likely not survive :)...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2011, 05:46:24 pm »

Thanks for the blog post, Leatra! I meant to update this thread, but I've been so busy with work with week I haven't had a chance to. The past few days have consisted of nothing else but eating and working... however, come this weekend, I should have some time to program, and hope to get the worldgen finished by the start of next week.

Anyway - here's what (a small portion of) the world map looks like so far!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 09:54:53 pm »

You're welcome! I was busy as well and I noticed the blog update a bit late. About the Monday update, I hope impaling won't be like DF. If you got an arrow stuck in your body you could virtually live forever with it.

And I was thinking, it would be cool to get a bunch of low-lifes and become a bandit leader. Most people (like me) like to have a choice between good and evil or law and chaos in RPGs.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2011, 07:53:48 am »

You're welcome! I was busy as well and I noticed the blog update a bit late. About the Monday update, I hope impaling won't be like DF. If you got an arrow stuck in your body you could virtually live forever with it.

And I was thinking, it would be cool to get a bunch of low-lifes and become a bandit leader. Most people (like me) like to have a choice between good and evil or law and chaos in RPGs.

To take the points in order:

No, you can't live with it permanently. Removing an arrow from your body (currently) takes one turn, so you need to make a judgment about removing it instantly, or fighting on for a little while; but the longer it stays in, the more damage it will do when removed, and while it's still stuck in.

That will definitely, one day, be possible. Hopefully before too long, actually. Just depends on the kinds of people you recruit...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 221