Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 592788 times)

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #555 on: April 26, 2012, 11:10:05 pm »

But Power... I require...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 26, 2012, 11:36:21 pm »

Then go raid one of those disturbingly common groups that are entrusted with some super-powered MacGuffin but are too cowardly use it and too incompetent to protect it.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #557 on: April 27, 2012, 01:04:06 am »

Then go raid one of those disturbingly common groups that are entrusted with some super-powered MacGuffin but are too cowardly use it and too incompetent to protect it.
I don't wanna... The only weapon I need are my trusty fists.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 27, 2012, 01:18:17 am »

Wait... then everyone is broke?... But.... I wanted to kill the king and take his moneys on him... Sad...
Well, most people try to become the king after they kill the king :D

Some become the new Queen instead. ;)

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFFORTRESS_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 28, 2012, 09:13:04 pm »

I'm not sure if you've already answered this, but do you think if it would possible to implement a Multiplayer supported version, whether directly through the game or through an application like Hamachi?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 29, 2012, 04:44:30 pm »

If you can't, or choose not to dedicate any time to it until every possible other thing has been completed, tweaked and balanced, I won't shed a single tear.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 29, 2012, 06:34:39 pm »

Right now, the two things I care most about are not Multiplayer or in-game Politics.

They are Combat and Physics. THOSE are the two things I really hope can be perfected.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #562 on: April 30, 2012, 05:47:05 am »

I have a few suggestions about necromancy based on some other thoughts if you still haven't finished the magic\necromancy system.

-Having different kinds of raising dead. For example: a)Raising a mindless zombie with no abilities other than walk, hit and eat brain. b)Reanimating a corpse able to understand what you are saying and able to obey your commands. c)Making a zombie able to speak, not being oblivious of the world around it and able to inform you of what is happening on a distant part of a battle (other than sending a runner who can get himself killed, send a zombie). and d)Reanimating a dead person who still retains his memories and can continue on with his life or serve you in gratitude of you giving him life again.

-Like I mentioned before but the more advanced corpse raising methods can be used only by better necromancers and those who have practiced their methods for years. Say I'm a novice necromancer with not much knowledge of the act of raising the dead. I can only make a mindless zombie with no abilities. But a more advanced necromancer can reanimate a corpse with no effort and the zombie being unrecognizable from all the normal "living" people.

It would be great sending a zombie who can take an arrow or a sword in the head without feeling any pain to inform me or bring new orders to squad leaders to and from the far reaches of a battle instead of sending a runner who might get killed by a stray arrow or a dragon swooping by and breathing fire on the poor guy.

And about the alpha. Since you moved back the release date from before the end of 2011 to summer 2012, can we expect some features that wouldn't have been included in the first release date, or will we still have an alpha heavily based on combat with no NPCs?

Thanks for the thoughts! I fully intend to have degrees of zombification, as it were. That will also be reflected in the kinds of undead armies fielded, but that's still being worked on at the moment. And as you say, the more skilled you are, both a) the wider the choices for necromancy you will have, and b) the more effective you will be at putting those choices into action. I do really like your idea about the specific uses of zombies; that's an interesting suggestion, and fits nicely into my intentions to have different species/creature types competent or not at different parts of battle. You can expect the latter; the initial alpha will contain world generation, some creatures, and combat. Those are the big 3. And hopefully nice UI, too.

Wait... then everyone is broke?... But.... I wanted to kill the king and take his moneys on him... Sad...
Well, most people try to become the king after they kill the king :D

Exactly! Or kill him/have him killed for other political reasons, etc...

Let me assure you there will be no such groups! If a group has a special weapon, that weapon will have a history (though you might not yourself know what it is) and it'll be there for a reason. And someone in the group will, of course, be using it.

I'm not sure if you've already answered this, but do you think if it would possible to implement a Multiplayer supported version, whether directly through the game or through an application like Hamachi?
If you can't, or choose not to dedicate any time to it until every possible other thing has been completed, tweaked and balanced, I won't shed a single tear.
Right now, the two things I care most about are not Multiplayer or in-game Politics.

They are Combat and Physics. THOSE are the two things I really hope can be perfected.

I have no idea if it would be, and I have absolutely no intentions of doing it. That's both far beyond my skill, and far outside what I want for the game, I'm afraid. Combat and physics are pretty much (along with world generation) the focus of the first alpha; you should be able to wield weapons, don armor, find creatures, fight them, use bows, throw things, fall off cliffs, knock them back, sever their limbs, get thrown around the map, eat, drink, be blinded, swim... I think that's the full combat-related alpha 0.1 list.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:49:08 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 30, 2012, 07:02:40 am »

The focus of the first alpha; you should be able to wield weapons, don armor, find creatures, fight them, use bows, throw things, fall off cliffs, knock them back, sever their limbs, get thrown around the map, eat, drink, be blinded, swim... I think that's the full combat-related alpha 0.1 list.
Don't forget find lots of pesky bugs and oversights.
 ;D
Looking forward to this alpha and care very little about the absence of multiplayer. 
Edit: that was worded poorly, fixed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:10:09 am by Edmus »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 30, 2012, 09:10:25 am »

How will stuff like NPC relations and loyalty work?  Like in Crusader Kings 2, where every character has an opinion of another character? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 30, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »

Looking forward to playing the game. Posting to keep tracks of the thread.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 02, 2012, 09:30:25 am »

Ah, of course, my first run will include finding out how falling works. I will kick one of every species I encounter off of a ledge. Then I will throw myself off of a ledge to experience the mechanics of falling.

Hmm... Will falling be instantaneous? I would weep tears of pure, liquid joy if it were possible to participate in a mid-air falling duel. Obviously the winner is fairly unimportant, you're both paste.

How would falling onto large creatures work? If a dragon or roc or some other large, flying animal passed beneath you as you fell, could you (in theory, at least), fall onto it's back and fly away? Same for horses passing on the horizontal. Grabbing a (not-too-fast) moving steed and swinging up would be waaaaay cool.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:28 am »

Ah, of course, my first run will include finding out how falling works. I will kick one of every species I encounter off of a ledge. Then I will throw myself off of a ledge to experience the mechanics of falling.

Hmm... Will falling be instantaneous? I would weep tears of pure, liquid joy if it were possible to participate in a mid-air falling duel. Obviously the winner is fairly unimportant, you're both paste.

How would falling onto large creatures work? If a dragon or roc or some other large, flying animal passed beneath you as you fell, could you (in theory, at least), fall onto it's back and fly away? Same for horses passing on the horizontal. Grabbing a (not-too-fast) moving steed and swinging up would be waaaaay cool.

The first thing I would probably do in this game is ride a rhino, if possible.
And then direct it to a hill and jump off the rhino and skydive.

EDIT: Rowanas, I'm pretty sure falling to the ground will be instant, and you will not be given much time to ride on a horse, etc.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:07:59 am by Urist McDonalds »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #568 on: May 04, 2012, 05:17:02 am »

Don't forget find lots of pesky bugs and oversights.
 ;D
Looking forward to this alpha and care very little about the absence of multiplayer. 
Edit: that was worded poorly, fixed.

Oh, yeah; I fully expect there to be many of them :). At the moment there are 3 I'm conscious of and fiddling with, of which two I think I can easily fix, but the other one has me temporarily stumped. It's only a small one though.

How will stuff like NPC relations and loyalty work?  Like in Crusader Kings 2, where every character has an opinion of another character?

Every character will have an opinion of other factions, and opinions of some specific characters. If they have an opinion of a character, they use that (e.g. someone they like in an empire they hate), otherwise they just default to the view of the faction. Most times it'll be a factional view, most likely.

Looking forward to playing the game. Posting to keep tracks of the thread.

Thanks!

I think that's a hilarious/great idea! I currently intend to have falling fast, but not instant; I think you (and creatures) will fall maybe six or so z-levels or so per turn, to give time to try and cling onto a cliff, for instance. I may still make it instant, though, but I haven't decided yet. I suppose you would be able to hit something that was at the same level as you... maybe. You could indeed fall onto its back, I hope, and obviously it would then try to swing you off. For that matter I intend to allow you/smaller creatures to climb up larger creatures in combat anyway to attack higher parts, and again, they'd then be trying to bat you off them.

The first thing I would probably do in this game is ride a rhino, if possible.
And then direct it to a hill and jump off the rhino and skydive.

That is beautiful. Sadly, there are no rhinos, but there probably will be elephants in the first alpha, but riding isn't going to be implemented for the very first release in a few months, I'm afraid.

would it be possible for me to basically become a mass-murderer, ninja assasin?

I'd love that.

If not, I'm doing something wrong.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 04, 2012, 01:05:04 pm »

Oooooh... that's too many "maybes" for me to get my hopes up, but too much potential awesome for me not to.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 221