Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 593058 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2011, 08:59:37 pm »

it looks like text based...

id rather have some grafics stuff that i can actualy see for what they are....

I'm sure there would be some modders who could create new tilesets for this game if game supports it.

And seriously dude, if you want to see some "grafics stuff" you shouldn't play roguelikes :D

Heh. Being able to control everything through a magical screen gets boring after a while. There are some games that try to make it seem logical. In Red Alert 2 it felt like (or game tried to make you feel like) you were logging in to a battlefield-screen-thing. When I played that game for the first time, that's when I realized the weirdness of being able to control everything like a god in strategy games.

"Yes, comrade general"

Red Alert 2 - what a great game! I prefer the earlier classic C&Cs, but RA2 had a certain something...

I know what you mean. RA2 was different. I didn't bother to try RA3, I was still curious, my cousin (he taught me everything I know about RA2 when I was a kid) got to play it and he said "pretty much every unit can go from both sea and land"

I suppose RA3 wasn't a big success.

Anybody have played Romance of Three Kingdoms? You could confuse your enemies in different ways. You could send a fake order which would force the enemy army to retreat to the closest town, trick the enemy army into attacking their allies, confuse the commander and freeze them for 1 round, save an allied army from confusion, and probably some more I don't rembember now. It was difficult to confuse the commanders if they have a high INT and your commander has a low INT. Even if they fall for it they give responses like "A retreat order? That doesn't make sense" but they had to follow the fake order.

There were also personalities.  If I rembember correctly personalities were Timid, Cool, Bold and Reckless. They didn't have much effect though. Biggest effect I noticed was a reckless officer once who would attack the enemy randomly without my order. You should definitely include personalities in this game. A simple loyalty system won't be enough.

Fire was a very important tool. Most traps involved fire. Setting fire very close to enemy was difficult. Fire has been used as a weapon in the history and I hope to see fire as a weapon in this game too. Think of all the traps and possibilities!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »

RA3 might not have been much of a success, but it has a expansion that is pretty fun to mess around in just for the ridiculous units it aadded, even though said expansion doesn't work in MP obviously.

RA3 also has this thing, which may or may not be better than the above in your opinion.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2011, 10:45:14 pm »

Anybody have played Romance of Three Kingdoms?
Romance of the Three Kingdoms had, uh, an absolute bucketload of different versions. Sequels, et al. Plus a vaguely unnumerable amount of spinoffs, related series, things named the same or nearly the same, etc, etc, etc. Any particular one you had in mind? I haven't played many of 'em, and none of them for very long, but I do understand the mechanics can change around a bit from game to game.

All of 'em were based off of the literary Romance of the Three Kingdoms, for those that didn't know. It's pretty much one of the biggest (both in terms of historical/cultural impact and sheer size) pieces of Chinese literature in existence, from what I understand. One of the true classic books in existence, really. There's a few translations running around the 'net, yeah.

--

Anyway, URR. Questions I've randomly pulled out to actually add to discussion: Will any race choices have radical gameplay impact? Will a hivemind or full-on aquatic race exist, for example? Boats, tunneling?

Can anything more be said on the magic system? I've been playing Vapors of Insanity a bit, lately, and I have to say a sort of, I guess, noun/verb driven (A firebolt, ferex, is mixing the spell of missile with the spell of fire), almost totally freeform system would be absolutely delicious (especially with a more accessible UI :P). Basically, how complex is the complex systems you mention in the blog :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2011, 11:48:20 pm »

This looks excellent!
I had two questions but I forgot the other...
you said it will be difficult to move once grappled unless the grappler/grappelee is big, would a large flying creature be able to pick you up and drop you from a height?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2011, 05:43:49 pm »

I know what you mean. RA2 was different. I didn't bother to try RA3, I was still curious, my cousin (he taught me everything I know about RA2 when I was a kid) got to play it and he said "pretty much every unit can go from both sea and land"

I suppose RA3 wasn't a big success.

Anybody have played Romance of Three Kingdoms? You could confuse your enemies in different ways. You could send a fake order which would force the enemy army to retreat to the closest town, trick the enemy army into attacking their allies, confuse the commander and freeze them for 1 round, save an allied army from confusion, and probably some more I don't rembember now. It was difficult to confuse the commanders if they have a high INT and your commander has a low INT. Even if they fall for it they give responses like "A retreat order? That doesn't make sense" but they had to follow the fake order.

There were also personalities.  If I rembember correctly personalities were Timid, Cool, Bold and Reckless. They didn't have much effect though. Biggest effect I noticed was a reckless officer once who would attack the enemy randomly without my order. You should definitely include personalities in this game. A simple loyalty system won't be enough.

Fire was a very important tool. Most traps involved fire. Setting fire very close to enemy was difficult. Fire has been used as a weapon in the history and I hope to see fire as a weapon in this game too. Think of all the traps and possibilities!

Interesting! I guess orders, fake orders, etc, all depend on whether or not you can have spies in your force. One day there will be spies in the armies, but that isn't going to be for some time. But obviously, by the same token, you'll be able to get spies into enemy forces, or simply bribe people in other forces over to your side.

As for fire - oh yes. That's in already, actually! It spreads rather nicely. However, some of the mechanics (setting fire to things, fire dying out over a wide area, etc) need a bit of work.

RA3 might not have been much of a success, but it has a expansion that is pretty fun to mess around in just for the ridiculous units it aadded, even though said expansion doesn't work in MP obviously.

RA3 also has this thing, which may or may not be better than the above in your opinion.

Ah, cnclabs! I seem to remember that site from the old days when I was modding TS and RA2. *nostalgia*

All of 'em were based off of the literary Romance of the Three Kingdoms, for those that didn't know. It's pretty much one of the biggest (both in terms of historical/cultural impact and sheer size) pieces of Chinese literature in existence, from what I understand. One of the true classic books in existence, really. There's a few translations running around the 'net, yeah.

--

Anyway, URR. Questions I've randomly pulled out to actually add to discussion: Will any race choices have radical gameplay impact? Will a hivemind or full-on aquatic race exist, for example? Boats, tunneling?

Can anything more be said on the magic system? I've been playing Vapors of Insanity a bit, lately, and I have to say a sort of, I guess, noun/verb driven (A firebolt, ferex, is mixing the spell of missile with the spell of fire), almost totally freeform system would be absolutely delicious (especially with a more accessible UI :P). Basically, how complex is the complex systems you mention in the blog :P

RotTK is actually in my amazon wishlist! I mean, three hundred other novels are, but there you go.

Race choices will primarily affect where you start off, and therefore the kind of person you'll start around (mercenaries, farmers, miners, scholars, etc). Each race will also raise certain skills faster or slower than others, but those will still be relatively minimal differences. The big differences will be in terms of who you can ally with, or deal with, or live with, and what kinds of armies you can raise, and things like that. So, in short: for the alpha, purely 'personal' differences (stats, etc). Later on, much bigger differences! Those are two really interesting suggestions, though... especially the aquatic race option.

Sadly, nothing else can really be said of the magic system so far :(. It's one of goals the furthest in the future. I'm probably going to have two major kinds of magic. One will involve spells of the sort you described, that you can combine and change for size, distance, effectiveness, radius, etc. The other will be unique schools of magic that have nothing to do with others, like Necromancy, Demonology, and a couple of others I'm considering too :). They'll exist, but it's going to be a while. The freeform magic will come first, the special schools later!

This looks excellent!
I had two questions but I forgot the other...
you said it will be difficult to move once grappled unless the grappler/grappelee is big, would a large flying creature be able to pick you up and drop you from a height?

Yep! It'll show how high you've ascended; the sooner you break free, the smaller the distance you drop, and so the less damage you take. Same goes, obviously, for any AI creature grabbed by another creature. Shout if you remember the other question :)

I wonder, if this were possible, if you could be dropped onto/drop someone else onto another creature and kill them...
the last act in your life- killing a cow by landing on it from 500 meters.

Ha! Yes, I guess this could happen. Normally it's one creature per square, but creatures rising up through the z-axis will be able to share a square. I'll have to work on that one once flying creatures appear :)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:45:34 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2011, 05:59:01 pm »

RotTK is actually in my amazon wishlist! I mean, three hundred other novels are, but there you go.

http://www.new3k.com/newrotkebook/ :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2011, 06:44:32 pm »

So, I've spent the past little while working on world generation! I've finally got it to a point where I'm pretty happy with the world map.

Check out the latest devblog (with a full size version) @ http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2011/11/15/cartography-in-the-land-of-ultima-ratio-regum/. Let me know what you all think :)! Now I just need to get cities, territories, and random things like caves, dungeons etc spawning. That shouldn't take anywhere near as long, though...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:46:54 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »

That looks pretty sweet actually, although I'm not sure I like the banding effect going on.  Its like all the biomes are put smushed together in layers(which is probably fairly realistic) instead of having N/S variation.

Then again, that could just be an effect of the random number generator.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2011, 07:00:48 pm »

Looks like someone covered africa in a giant flag.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2011, 07:09:24 pm »

This whole project looks really neat. I'll keep an eye on it.

One thing I noticed that's odd about the map, though, is how all of the outlying islands are very, very small and just sort of scattered around. Other than that, it looks great.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2011, 07:22:53 pm »

Its more [OBJECT] for the [OBJECT] [FURNITURE], not just body parts.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2011, 07:39:10 pm »

That looks pretty sweet actually, although I'm not sure I like the banding effect going on.  Its like all the biomes are put smushed together in layers(which is probably fairly realistic) instead of having N/S variation.

Then again, that could just be an effect of the random number generator.   :P

It is meant to go from N/S; there is more variation in the layers when you zoom in to the normal scale. If you average out a climate map of our world, it does look reasonably like that, though obviously with a little more variation. Still, a lot of that is down to tectonics, ocean current etc, and I don't intend to model those!

Looks like someone covered africa in a giant flag.

Excellent! I... think? :)

This whole project looks really neat. I'll keep an eye on it.

One thing I noticed that's odd about the map, though, is how all of the outlying islands are very, very small and just sort of scattered around. Other than that, it looks great.

Thanks a ton! That's actually deliberate; you do sometimes get some very large islands when they don't join up into big continents, but I'm deliberately keeping lots of small islands. They will be a large source of the exploration for small forces, and unique locations/monsters will be much more likely to spawn there.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2011, 07:44:39 pm »

Also, of course, most of the map starts off unknown (apart from areas your village/city/civilization has explored), so you'll never actually see the map at that scale while playing :).

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:44 pm »

This looks great! Watching.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

This looks really really cool. It's been said before, but, nice job!

I have a couple of questions though:

Firstly, will we be able to take trophies from fallen enemies? Say, we just slew a dragon or some other fantastical beast, can I cut off its head, or butcher it and carry its skull with me? Could I take the ear of some sort of Orc Chieftan I just killed as a nostalgic token? It'd be pretty cool to mount slain enemies' heads on pikes, as well.

Second, do you ever plan on implementing any sort of magic in the game? It's already in a sort of fantasy-esque setting, with mystical creatures, but in terms of spells, spellcasters, or anything like that, do you have anything planned? And if you do have something planned, will it be a sort of simple fireball/lightning/pointy-hats kind of system, or more complex, like in terms of the Eragon series, where magic is dictated by the manipulation of real-world forces and energy, and you could abuse certain laws of nature to your own ends? I ask because I've always loved games that feature magical beings, but only sparsely, and those who are able to use magic could destroy entire armies if they had enough preparation.

It'd be horribly complex, but I think you could decently abstract a system that allowed you to do this sort of thing. Plus, it might spice up combat to more than just "whoever has more dudes win".
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 221