Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585472 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 08:02:20 am »

This game is my most anticipated roguelike :)

Another game to keep track of. Looking good so far!

Woo! These mean a lot to a new developer :)

Looking forward to the alpha, godspeed and all that. Many ideas in here are ones I've always wanted to see properly implemented (recruitment of any npc, realistic troop command).

Thanks! Those are definitely two of the biggest goals I've got...

On the blog you ask what the alpha should focus most on, Creatures, Combat, AI or UI. I would suggest getting a nice and streamlined UI right from the start. If it's clunky to begin with, it will only get worse (and harder to fix) as new features are added. I think I remember some other strategy roguelike suffering from this particular issue. The other stuff, while perhaps cooler, will doubtlessly continue to expand after the first alpha anyway, so it seems completely understandable to keep it simple for the first release.

I'm definitely leaning in that direction. For the first alpha, I'd like the UI around combat, looking at/querying yourself and other creatures, moving around the map and understanding how keyboard commands work to be as clear as possible.

The game's title has seduced me. You can be sure I'll be testing it

Japan has had a monopoloy in nonsensical titles for toooooo long.

It's not really nonsensical at all, just slightly obscure. It makes perfect sense if you know the history of the phrase.

I was going to say just that - the 'last argument of kings' means military force, after all, and therefore seems appropriate. After all, Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur, which roughly translates as 'Anything said in Latin sounds profound'...

looks like DF's adventure mode, except with more features.
in a couple of months, this game will probably largely seperate from that and end up like a completely different game :)
looks good, keep it up!

Thanks, and fingers crossed!

Sounds awesome. A game where I can send out adventurers and can do the adventuring if I want or don't want to is something I have dreamed of.

You'll be able to designate smaller forces to head off through the world, if/when you come to lead an army. Of course, once you lose sight of them, you won't know if they have succeeded in their task or all been eaten until either a) you catch up with them, b) they report back, or c) you find their corpses...

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 08:24:54 am »

This looks fantastic, really liking the descriptive DF Adv mode style combat system you have in place. I cannot tell you how heartily sick I am of generic combat in roguelike games ("You hit the Elf! It is wounded! You hit the Elf! It is dead!"), so this is indeed a breath of fresh air.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 08:51:46 am »

I cannot tell you how heartily sick I am of generic combat in roguelike games ("You hit the Elf! It is wounded! You hit the Elf! It is dead!")

Exactly! We need a lot more roguelikes with a better combat system.

Oh also, will there be wrestling? :D
Unarmed combat is included in DF and it's a lot damn fun. There isn't much use for it when you got a sword though.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 09:19:09 am »

I cannot tell you how heartily sick I am of generic combat in roguelike games ("You hit the Elf! It is wounded! You hit the Elf! It is dead!")

Exactly! We need a lot more roguelikes with a better combat system.

Oh also, will there be wrestling? :D
Unarmed combat is included in DF and it's a lot damn fun. There isn't much use for it when you got a sword though.
I hope gaming in general becomes much more rich with this.
Thank you based dwarf.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 10:39:48 am »

I hope, the next generation won't know the meaning of 'hit points'

But I guess we are headed for the opposite way. Games used to be more complex. Now they are just... graphicy. I'm talking about the non-roguelike games of course.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 10:55:51 am »

While humans, elves and dwarves

Ohh for a second I thought this took place in the Ultima universe. But that laid my worries to rest.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 11:52:18 am »

Wow... This looks amazing, I was looking at the screen shots, will it have combat damage similar to dwarf fortress? As in can hack off one guys head then beat another guy to death with it or strangle someone or cut out their eyes Ect....

This looks really good any ideas on when a alpha will be available ?

And any chance of any graphics? I like to switch between what DF is normally like and a graphics pack so would be nice to have a feature to pick which one you want.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 12:03:57 pm »

Looks great so far! How are you going to handle facing? Normally rogue likes tend not to deal with facing at all, which makes some sense when you're dealing with a single adventurer, but when you're modeling a squad of soldiers it doesn't seem quite right...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 12:40:28 pm »

Looks good! I look forward to seeing how the project develops.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »

Did you guys pay attention to the image? I think he used his both weapons at the same time. I love dual wielding!

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 02:48:30 pm »

Got plans for a graphical tileset support?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 04:34:21 pm »

just another thing I'd like to say:

please make it as quickly as possible! it looks epic!

Games made quickly as possible are full of bugs and incomplete features. Take all the time you need :D

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 04:52:05 pm »

I'm very excited for this game, and you've clearly got some positive buzz going. Best of luck!

Personally, I'd be exceedingly pleased if you added framework for modding as soon as possible. The longer into development you wait to do so, the harder it will be to implement and the less feature-rich it will be upon deployment.

You will be besieged with requests for tilesets and custom monsters. Many roguelikes have a separate "tiles" fork that needs dedicated maintainers every time the game is updated (in closed source that means the devs spend a bunch more time repeating their progress, and in open source that means you pray for reliable people to take up the torch). Don't fall into that trap! Dwarf Fortress's modding framework has made adding tiles to the game as simple as some pngs and a couple plaintext config files.
Put the framework in place and let the community do the work of tiles and custom creatures for you! That way you can spend your time making great updates for a potentially game-changing roguelike, instead of spending your time responding to grumpy forumgoers about why the tiles binary hasn't been updated as fast as they'd like.

Anecdotally, I've found that people keep coming back to DF for its great mods and ease of modding, as much as they do for its unique gameplay!

Looking forward to the alpha release. Again, best of luck!
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 10:32:13 am »

Mount and blade roguelike? gimme!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 10:47:33 am »

Looks nice!
(and free :P)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 221