Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585574 times)

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 11:00:39 am »

Looks amazing, keep it up!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 07:24:26 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 06:52:18 am »

This looks fantastic, really liking the descriptive DF Adv mode style combat system you have in place. I cannot tell you how heartily sick I am of generic combat in roguelike games ("You hit the Elf! It is wounded! You hit the Elf! It is dead!"), so this is indeed a breath of fresh air.

Thanks! That's pretty much exactly the reason - it adds variety, and injuries to different parts have meaningful combat effects.

Oh also, will there be wrestling? :D
Unarmed combat is included in DF and it's a lot damn fun. There isn't much use for it when you got a sword though.

Good question. You will likely have the option to 'grab' a creature, in which case neither of you can move far until one or you is dead, or the grip is broken. If one creature is vastly larger, however, that creature's movement will be unhindered. It'll be a definite option for tall creatures like Titans that you, and other small creatures, might have to climb up to attack in the head, for instance!

I hope gaming in general becomes much more rich with this.

I sincerely hope so! Seems in general like a much more interesting/realistic method than hit points.

While humans, elves and dwarves

Ohh for a second I thought this took place in the Ultima universe. But that laid my worries to rest.

Ah, no - never actually played an Ultima game. Rest assured :)

Wow... This looks amazing, I was looking at the screen shots, will it have combat damage similar to dwarf fortress? As in can hack off one guys head then beat another guy to death with it or strangle someone or cut out their eyes Ect....

This looks really good any ideas on when a alpha will be available ?

And any chance of any graphics? I like to switch between what DF is normally like and a graphics pack so would be nice to have a feature to pick which one you want.

To answer your points in order: Thanks, and yes, it will/does - any weapon you're strong enough to wield can be used as a weapon, and same goes for other creatures. If you steal their weapon, then they might pick up anything lying around to fight with, or grab you, or whatever.

I hope to have the very first alpha out by the end of the year if all goes well. The focuses are on a clean UI and the variety in combat/creatures/AI; after that, there's a heck of a lot planned...

Unsure about graphics so far. I will get back to on that one once I've pondered it a little further...

Looks great so far! How are you going to handle facing? Normally rogue likes tend not to deal with facing at all, which makes some sense when you're dealing with a single adventurer, but when you're modeling a squad of soldiers it doesn't seem quite right...

I'm not yet sure, primarily because it would be hard to display it in ASCII without making the field painfully cluttered. However, I am debating three possibilities - you and creatures DO face, but it's not explicitly mentioned; you don't face, like most roguelikes; and you can change the overview briefly to show arrows, for example, where all creatures are, showing you what direction they are facing. That'll be similar to other overlays like friend/foe, injured/healthy, etc, to get a strategic idea of the battle. There won't be anything to do with facing in the first alpha, but I'm definitely considering possibilities.

Looks good! I look forward to seeing how the project develops.

Thanks! I'll be trying to keep this thread updated with developments...

Did you guys pay attention to the image? I think he used his both weapons at the same time. I love dual wielding!

It's true! He did!

Got plans for a graphical tileset support?

As above; uncertain. Not for the very first alpha, though, regardless, but we'll see.

just another thing I'd like to say:

please make it as quickly as possible! it looks epic!

I shall try! As I say, the end of this year should be the first basic alpha, but it's a long term project for me :)

I'm very excited for this game, and you've clearly got some positive buzz going. Best of luck!

Thanks! Hopefully the first alpha won't be a colossal disappointment, but I think I've stressed the few areas it's focused on for now :)

Personally, I'd be exceedingly pleased if you added framework for modding as soon as possible. The longer into development you wait to do so, the harder it will be to implement and the less feature-rich it will be upon deployment.

I do intend to keep it closed source, but I don't see any reason I'd object to modding and adding tilesets, creatures, etc. If someone creates something interesting enough, I suspect I'd be happy to incorporate it into the final game! Also opens the way for competitions; design a species, monster, etc...

Dwarf Fortress's modding framework has made adding tiles to the game as simple as some pngs and a couple plaintext config files.

Right now, just changing the font .png is actually enough to adjust the tileset; however, it's actually pretty badly handled atm, and needs a bit of clearing before the first release.

Anecdotally, I've found that people keep coming back to DF for its great mods and ease of modding, as much as they do for its unique gameplay!

Looking forward to the alpha release. Again, best of luck!

Interesting! I'll keep that in mind. And thanks again :)

Mount and blade roguelike? gimme!

Ha - that's actually a very good comparison! I mean, I've got more fantasy elements, and probably a bit less mounted combat... but then, what kind of a General would you be without a mount?

Looks nice!
(and free :P)

Thanks! And yep; it will remain entirely free. Doing this because I've always wanted to make a game, not for the monies :)

Looks amazing, keep it up!

Thanks! I'm hoping to keep development going at a decent pace against academic work, and so far, that's going reasonably well...

Also, just a general comment - thanks all for the interest, it means a lot! I'll keep the thread updated as I hopefully make it closer and closer to the first alpha release...

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 07:27:47 am »

Posting to follow as my bookmark bar is pretty stuffed already

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 08:17:17 am »

It's gonna be like Mount&blade in roguelike style with Dwarf Fortress combat system :D

Now thinking about M&B, a lot of ideas can be borrowed (stolen) from that game. I can think of a few right now.

- Your lieutenants may rebel against you or argue with other lieutenants.
- Romance. Dueling against other suitors. Will you marry a general's daughter, someone you actually love and stuff like that.
- Special characters that will travel with you if you hire them. They would give you a bonus to things like travelling speed on the world map.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 11:53:15 am »

I cannot tell you how heartily sick I am of generic combat in roguelike games ("You hit the Elf! It is wounded! You hit the Elf! It is dead!")

Exactly! We need a lot more roguelikes with a better combat system.

Unarmed combat is included in DF and it's a lot damn fun. There isn't much use for it when you got a sword though.
I generally tackle the enemy, kick in their shoulders, rip off their hands and feet, strangle them, and then rip their throat out.

I use an axe for help on the feet sometimes:P

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 12:26:03 pm »

I cannot tell you how heartily sick I am of generic combat in roguelike games ("You hit the Elf! It is wounded! You hit the Elf! It is dead!")

I generally tackle the enemy, kick in their shoulders, rip off their hands and feet, strangle them, and then rip their throat out.

that's just unnecessarily cruel!
that's dwarven.
Cruelty is necessary to have !!FUN!!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 12:30:07 pm »

that's just unnecessarily cruel!
that's dwarven.
You're talking to Necro910, the infamous dwarf who shouts magma as the solution to everything. The dwarf who kicks in the door of a castle, cut off the hands and feet of all the guards (Whilst they are all fighting me, not this one-on-one elfshit), then throw them over the wall onto the fleeing nobles. The Necro910 that slaughters off entire towns, sometimes multiple ones in one day.

THAT Necro910.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 04:16:54 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:02:40 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 09:16:02 pm »

What kind of characters will you be able to create?

(Eg: will it work like in conquest of elysium?)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 01:57:27 pm »

Bump

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 02:49:00 pm »

Oooooh... Looks super cool. Posting to follow.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 03:36:54 pm »

Firstly, new devblog entry shameless plug, about the hundreds of thousands of potential weapons, and the dis/advantages of each type. Also, how I'm trying to balance them, which is obviously important: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2011/10/17/weapons-lots-of-weapons/

Now then:

Posting to follow as my bookmark bar is pretty stuffed already

Thanks for the follow!

It's gonna be like Mount&blade in roguelike style with Dwarf Fortress combat system :D

Now thinking about M&B, a lot of ideas can be borrowed (stolen) from that game. I can think of a few right now.

- Romance. Dueling against other suitors. Will you marry a general's daughter, someone you actually love and stuff like that.
- Special characters that will travel with you if you hire them. They would give you a bonus to things like travelling speed on the world map.

The first of those three will definitely happen, but within the area of managing your army and the disparate factions in it. I'm undecided how relationships between you/NPCs and NPCs/NPCs will work thus far, and I'm actually leaning away from having any 'special' characters! Some might have specific useful skills, but they won't be 'uniques'. Does what I mean by that distinction make sense?

This is an excellent combat strategy.

Cruelty is necessary to have !!FUN!!

This is one of my guiding principles!

What kind of characters will you be able to create?

(Eg: will it work like in conquest of elysium?)

Having just looked up how that game does it; I don't think mine will be very similar. Your initial character choices are more focused on what city you come from, what items you have, and what your history is, then what 'skills' you have. You'll have some choice over that, but I don't think I'm going for any kind of class system.

Oooooh... Looks super cool. Posting to follow.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:39:32 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 05:21:59 pm »

The first of those three will definitely happen, but within the area of managing your army and the disparate factions in it. I'm undecided how relationships between you/NPCs and NPCs/NPCs will work thus far, and I'm actually leaning away from having any 'special' characters! Some might have specific useful skills, but they won't be 'uniques'. Does what I mean by that distinction make sense?

You mean characters like trackers(better speed on the map), trainers (trains soldiers), bards (morale boost), etc? Dealing with unique characters would be difficult but having some non-warriors on your team would make the game realistic. Which army didn't have medics in the history? :D

I don't have any ideas about relationships topic. There should be a relationship status about your friends and enemies but how would that work? Your enemies randomly attacking you on the map or something? Hmmmm...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 02:04:01 pm »

You mean characters like trackers(better speed on the map), trainers (trains soldiers), bards (morale boost), etc? Dealing with unique characters would be difficult but having some non-warriors on your team would make the game realistic. Which army didn't have medics in the history? :D

I don't have any ideas about relationships topic. There should be a relationship status about your friends and enemies but how would that work? Your enemies randomly attacking you on the map or something? Hmmmm...

Something along those lines. There will definitely be medic and other non-combat characters you can recruit, from all species, cities, factions, whatever. You'll definitely want medics there when you have a pike lodged in your face! As for how your enemies attack you on the map... well, that's still being worked on, but I'm very happy with how it's now looking :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 221