Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585717 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #420 on: March 10, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »

Hmm. Knowledge on the specific weaknesses of animals/creatures could be good. Although with horses you don't really need to know anything besides it being a horse to know the weak spots, as all of the various horse breeds are pretty fragile.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 11, 2012, 05:12:58 pm »

Hmm. Knowledge on the specific weaknesses of animals/creatures could be good. Although with horses you don't really need to know anything besides it being a horse to know the weak spots, as all of the various horse breeds are pretty fragile.

You've obviously never tried to strangle a shetland pony with it's own illustrious mane because it Kept. Goddamn. Staring.

Oh wise and mighty developer, as much as I appreciate ballistae, may I make one small additional suggestion to improve the overall quality of your fine work? More ballistae. :P
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57:46 pm »

I think that it makes sense to invert the typical way knowledge skills work here. Normally games have it set up so that low levels of knowledge provide knowledge of capabilities and high levels of knowledge provide insight into a creatures weaknesses (or just straight bonus damage). While this makes some sense in terms of analyzing fighting styles, it makes very little sense when you're talking about horses, or elephants or bears. Essentially once you know a little bit about the creature you have a general sense of it's anatomy and have some idea about it's weaknesses. What's harder is noticing the slight differences in appearance and behavior that signal it's intentions or capabilities.

This ability to evaluate is especially crucial when it comes to cavalry. Are the enemy mounted on destriders or plow horses? being able to tell at a glance from a couple of hundred yards away which is which is a)much harder than knowing that horses hooves a full of nice delicate bones that crunch well under the butt of your spear  and b) more important to a leader.

My recommendation would be to remove the bonus damage from knowledge skills, and instead have an ignorance penalty for lack of basic familiarity. This could manifest as both a decrease in combat effectiveness (you don't know where to stab) and greater morale penalties. Increases in a knowledge skill past this point would give you greater insight into the state a capabilities of creatures, how fast they move, how fatigued they are, how well trained they are and so on.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 11, 2012, 09:08:06 pm »

My recommendation is the ability to force an enemy force over a cliff.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 11, 2012, 09:30:46 pm »

My recommendation is the ability to force an enemy force over a cliff.
Insert obligatory "This. Is. Sparta." joke here

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFFORTRESS_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 11, 2012, 09:55:58 pm »

I've been following your site for a couple of months now. I'm hooked on it and I hope to ask a few questions.

- will there be large cities implemented? (including racial cities like dwarven halls)

- Do you plan to implement non-combat oriented details (such as being a caravan master, or a possibly run a business).

- Can you conquer kingdoms and wrest land from people?

(sorry if some of these questions have already been asked)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:20 pm »

-Exactly how large has not been mentioned but i assume they would be large enough to be called cities atleast.

-From general talk; In a manner, yes. But it seems like the business will involve some aspect of combat.

-You can either join up with a city/land/king/etc and go up the ranks for the army, perhaps make a coup. Or you can start out privately and gain followers to conquer with.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 11, 2012, 11:06:16 pm »

What level of construction will have at our disposal?

By that I mean whats the size of things we can build, could we say build an entire fortress city surrounded by smaller villages with strongholds dotted around the area, or would it just be like army camp kind of construction (Tent arrangement, palisade construction, ditch placements, log walls, etc.)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 11, 2012, 11:10:26 pm »

PTW this looks really cool. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2012, 05:51:35 am »

You really know how to attract the Bay12 community :P

Ah, I try :)

True - expect differences will be more down to speed/stamina, probably.

Oh wise and mighty developer, as much as I appreciate ballistae, may I make one small additional suggestion to improve the overall quality of your fine work? More ballistae. :P

Consider it noted!

I think that it makes sense to invert the typical way knowledge skills work here. Normally games have it set up so that low levels of knowledge provide knowledge of capabilities and high levels of knowledge provide insight into a creatures weaknesses (or just straight bonus damage). While this makes some sense in terms of analyzing fighting styles, it makes very little sense when you're talking about horses, or elephants or bears. Essentially once you know a little bit about the creature you have a general sense of it's anatomy and have some idea about it's weaknesses. What's harder is noticing the slight differences in appearance and behavior that signal it's intentions or capabilities.

This ability to evaluate is especially crucial when it comes to cavalry. Are the enemy mounted on destriders or plow horses? being able to tell at a glance from a couple of hundred yards away which is which is a)much harder than knowing that horses hooves a full of nice delicate bones that crunch well under the butt of your spear  and b) more important to a leader.

My recommendation would be to remove the bonus damage from knowledge skills, and instead have an ignorance penalty for lack of basic familiarity. This could manifest as both a decrease in combat effectiveness (you don't know where to stab) and greater morale penalties. Increases in a knowledge skill past this point would give you greater insight into the state a capabilities of creatures, how fast they move, how fatigued they are, how well trained they are and so on.

Interesting. Morale penalties for fighting creatures you don't know a lot about is an interesting one, actually. As you say, it seems logical that a low-level of knowledge would give you much of the basic info, and then you'd have to get more and more knowledge to learn the specifics of each creature's activities. I'm still not sure precisely what information I want knowledge to give (their attacks, their defenses, their habitats, alliances, habits, food, where they can be found, etc, or some combination), so I need to think that over.

I've been following your site for a couple of months now. I'm hooked on it and I hope to ask a few questions.

- will there be large cities implemented? (including racial cities like dwarven halls)

- Do you plan to implement non-combat oriented details (such as being a caravan master, or a possibly run a business).

- Can you conquer kingdoms and wrest land from people?

(sorry if some of these questions have already been asked)

Well that's good to know :).

- Yes, each settlement for each species has a different generator. Dwarf settlements will look utterly unlike Cyclopean ones, which are utterly unlike a necropolis, and so on. Some of these are in their early stages now, but for the first alpha I'm only aiming for ruins and ancient cities as civilizations need a lot of programming outside the cities themselves.
- I've thought about the economic/'business' side of the game, but I'm not sure yet. It would be great to hear any thoughts on it, though!
- That's planned as one of the main focuses of the game! There's even a 'territory' option in the minimap to view land according to who owns it.

What level of construction will have at our disposal?

By that I mean whats the size of things we can build, could we say build an entire fortress city surrounded by smaller villages with strongholds dotted around the area, or would it just be like army camp kind of construction (Tent arrangement, palisade construction, ditch placements, log walls, etc.)

Only very basic constructions - city-building isn't a focus of the game at all. If you're in charge of a city, I think you'll be able to dictate the kinds of buildings you want, but you won't have an active role, and building construction will be realistically slow. As for camps, you'll be able to put up tents, traps, ditches etc, but that's about the full extent of it.

PTW this looks really cool.

Thanks!

Lastly, a more game design/mechanic-centric blog entry for once, hopefully answering a few more questions about magic: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/03/13/superweapons/. However, since magic is way off, the focus for now is still on combat/weapons/armor for the near future, and certainly for the rest release. From this point onward, any magic questions will be met with a bemused shrug! :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:00:33 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 13, 2012, 07:51:40 pm »

So I had a long, boring drive home from work today, and I spent most of it thinking about the implications of rogue-like speed systems on unit combat, particularly mounted charges.

In there are generally two ways of handling speed in roguelikes, either fast creates get a free move every X turns, or every turn a fast creature has a Y probability of getting an extra free move. Additionally, waiting generally advances time at the same rate that movement advances, which makes it hard for the slow creature to gain the initiative. Either ap proach has interesting and possibly deleterious implications for URR.

If fast creatures get regular extra moves,charges against enemies slower than you will be sensitive to initial conditions. For example if I can an extra move after every third regular move, charging against a static foe (say a stake wall with archers behind it)from a distance of 3, 7, 11 or 15 will always result in an initial free attack by the cavalry, while charging from 4,5,6,8,8,10.... will not. Since cavalry charges don't make sense in interia-less environments (the momentum of the horse is the weapon), allowing charging horses to 'wait' a turn to regain the correct positioning mid-charge doesn't make sense.

The other option, a random free move, is just as problematic. Imagine a squad of ten horse men charging who get a free move 33% of the time. The group is going to separate out over time, so for particularly long charges you will have a bell curve like distribution of your forces...again since units can't wait this would be sub optimal.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2012, 12:33:34 am »

Regarding penalties for fighting unfamiliar creatures, it's likely that whether you fight an orc, a human, or an elf, you'll be fairly familiar with their humanoid structure. Even if this is your first orc battle, maybe you'll be confident enough that you can take them that your morale remains constant.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2012, 05:33:55 am »

Huh.  So, if for example, a humanoid being fights a quadrupedal creature, or something I dunno, without legs, the humanoid would suffer a penalty, because it doesn't know how to proceed?

Cool.  Common sense and confidence, those are interesting qualities that I don't think I've seen really in other video games. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2012, 06:58:46 am »

Regarding penalties for fighting unfamiliar creatures, it's likely that whether you fight an orc, a human, or an elf, you'll be fairly familiar with their humanoid structure. Even if this is your first orc battle, maybe you'll be confident enough that you can take them that your morale remains constant.

Orcs are ought to be scary. A berserker orc charging into you while shouting a battle cry isn't the same thing with a fragile elf swordsman.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2012, 07:44:00 am »

I think every civ should have its own form of individual scariness, for pyschological warfare. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 221