Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585561 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #480 on: April 09, 2012, 05:44:43 am »

Three delicious new screenshots of this week's work! Let me know what you think : )

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/04/09/april-screenshots/

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 09, 2012, 12:27:01 pm »

The new world map looks really nice. You're doing a great job of giving the important information in an easy-to understand manner. Same with the attacking box - it's great to know how armored each part of your opponent is, as well as how damaged.

There's not really anything I can find to complain about, but for the fact that you can't aim for an opponent's eyes.  :P Perhaps you can hit two keys, such as + and - to make the attacks more or less specific? That way, if you keep hitting + you can eventually have the option to strike at your enemy's fingers and toes.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 09, 2012, 06:21:25 pm »

Nice. With the Gearhead 2 conversion on ice, this is my single most anticipated game. Hurry the hell up, man! You're killing me!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 09, 2012, 09:16:51 pm »

In the attack screen, is all options tied to an hotkey?

Like 1 for head, 2 for torso, 3 for left leg...

Because I prefer to hit only one key when attacking instead of three time arrow key, then enter whenever I decide to attack another limb.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #484 on: April 09, 2012, 11:19:44 pm »

An interesting looking game. So I can serve in armies, as in go into giant wars with them or how will that work, just be like squad battles. Will battles I take part of have effect, such as a battle for control over a town or village? So many questions I have, but I be pleased if you answered these.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 10, 2012, 06:03:56 am »

There's not really anything I can find to complain about, but for the fact that you can't aim for an opponent's eyes.  :P Perhaps you can hit two keys, such as + and - to make the attacks more or less specific? That way, if you keep hitting + you can eventually have the option to strike at your enemy's fingers and toes.
Yeah, that's what I thought. If I'm using a blunt weapon, I like going for the lower body to damage guts. Sometimes I attack upper torso hoping to penetrate lungs. DF's lower arm, upper arm, back right tooth, etc is seen as an overkill by some players but I'd like to behead my enemy by slashing the throat if the opportunity presents itself :D

Other than that, it looks great. UI is really neat.

Will battles I take part of have effect, such as a battle for control over a town or village? So many questions I have, but I be pleased if you answered these.
According to dev, yes.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #486 on: April 10, 2012, 12:34:25 pm »

The new world map looks really nice. You're doing a great job of giving the important information in an easy-to understand manner. Same with the attacking box - it's great to know how armored each part of your opponent is, as well as how damaged.

Thanks - I'm glad to hear it's all looking pretty clear. I debated allowing that (creatures do have eyes, necks, jugulars, of course) but I was concerned that would be too much to scroll through.  Additionally, I don't think one can realistically be that accurate, so dealing damage to components of a limb remains random, but you get to choose the limb. Lastly, if you could target a particular bit (e.g. 'Left eye') you would be missing most of the time, so targeting limbs allows you to hit your targeted limb much more of the time.

Nice. With the Gearhead 2 conversion on ice, this is my single most anticipated game. Hurry the hell up, man! You're killing me!

Awesome! This summer, this summer!

In the attack screen, is all options tied to an hotkey?

Like 1 for head, 2 for torso, 3 for left leg...

Because I prefer to hit only one key when attacking instead of three time arrow key, then enter whenever I decide to attack another limb.

Nice idea; at the moment, it remembers which limb on each creature you last attacks and selects that one by default. So if you hit a creature in limb 4 once, limb 4 starts selected next time, so you just need to hit Enter to confirm. Do you think that'll be enough?

An interesting looking game. So I can serve in armies, as in go into giant wars with them or how will that work, just be like squad battles. Will battles I take part of have effect, such as a battle for control over a town or village? So many questions I have, but I be pleased if you answered these.

Well, thank you :). Yes, you will be able to join up to existing armies - the largest battles are going to be on the scale of the low hundreds of units per side - but the level of command you have depends on the rank you are in that army. Yes, battles will affect empires and civilizations, and I'm hoping to get a way of the computer identifying 'campaigns', and where one begins/ends. No problem - feel free to shoot with any more!

Yeah, that's what I thought. If I'm using a blunt weapon, I like going for the lower body to damage guts. Sometimes I attack upper torso hoping to penetrate lungs. DF's lower arm, upper arm, back right tooth, etc is seen as an overkill by some players but I'd like to behead my enemy by slashing the throat if the opportunity presents itself :D

Other than that, it looks great. UI is really neat.

Hmmmm. As I say, I did consider allowing you greater accuracy, but I didn't think it would be realistic, and I thought it would just breed annoyance since you'd miss so often at first. Plus, I don't think that's particularly appropriate for large-scale combat; however, maybe you'll be able to set a preference to each weapon type, or something like that, for what part you'd like to hit. But I think I'm going to keep it at the limb level (heads/torsos/wings/arms/legs). I also don't want to unbalance things by having everybody instantly GO FOR THE EYEBALLS!!! And thanks re: the UI, Leatra!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:44:50 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #487 on: April 10, 2012, 05:22:04 pm »

Since you insisted on me asking more, more you shall get. Such as how often will we encounter, weaponry/magic? Is it more common to see different things between species, or will a lack of metals cause more magic to be used, or if excessive, will magic dull in knowledge? As well, if we are soldiers, that would also mean if we ranked up in armies, will we be granted land and therefore eventually perhaps our own village? I'd like people to call me m'lord. As well, how will animals be used, do I expect war horses/dogs/hawks or are they a later feature. For the adventure aspect of it, can a political marriage happen, or even a campaign from an evil force *which I am totally apart of or leading*, will they take brides/grooms forcibly as prizes? Ending questions here for now.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 11, 2012, 02:17:08 am »

I'm wondering what type of society civs will have.  Will they use the standard, oddly centralised "king is absolute ruler", or say, feudalism?  I'm a big fan of feudalism, titles, knights, etc.  That way, through lots of political maneuvering and assassination, we CAN be called mi'lord. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 11, 2012, 02:21:04 am »

As far as i can recall from further back in the thread, there will be multiple types of societies, or at least leaderships.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 11, 2012, 03:40:17 am »

We could always go with a Sliding system like in EU, would spice things up when looking for followers for your kingdom/army. You'd have to either recruit from kingdoms with similar values or otherwise spread/force your own.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 11, 2012, 07:29:59 am »

We could always go with a Sliding system like in EU, would spice things up when looking for followers for your kingdom/army. You'd have to either recruit from kingdoms with similar values or otherwise spread/force your own.

I wasn't aware that the European Union had any such system.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 11, 2012, 07:34:12 am »

It is REALLY hard to tell of someone's being sarcastic on a forum. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 11, 2012, 03:54:56 pm »

I wasn't aware that the European Union had any such system.
It's Europa Universalis.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 11, 2012, 04:46:18 pm »

It is REALLY hard to tell of someone's being sarcastic on a forum.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 221