Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585496 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #510 on: April 14, 2012, 02:21:55 pm »

Please no, I was under the impression that this was medieval high-fantasy. Steampunk hopefully will not make an appearance here, not that ive anything against it but I think it would somewhat ruin this game.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 14, 2012, 02:28:14 pm »

I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 14, 2012, 03:59:48 pm »

I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

You sir, have earnt yourself a quoting.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 14, 2012, 04:14:27 pm »

Ooookay.

So, magical regeneration for severed limbs it is.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #514 on: April 14, 2012, 04:43:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure you lose a limb it is not coming back, Who wouldn't want to be an eye-patch wearing, one-armed bad-ass soldier veteran.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 14, 2012, 05:11:45 pm »

Okay.

Crutches it is.

My eyes are getting bloody.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 14, 2012, 05:17:04 pm »

Okay.

Crutches it is.

My eyes are getting bloody.

Then you'll need...

An eye patch!

;)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 14, 2012, 06:36:14 pm »

Eye-patch...
Pirates...
sea-travel?
I have a feeling this has already been brought up though.

Some1fromMKD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 15, 2012, 04:12:24 am »

I have a question which may have been brought up, but I can't seem to find it so here it goes.

About the magic in this game. How will we be able to learn it? Will we read books or raid tombs and what not? Or will we be able to make a really low-skill magician at character creation? I actually prefer learning magic in-game if it is actually possible at first.

I know that this won't be in the first alpha build, but any idea at all when will it be implemented?

Again if these questions have been asked already, I apologize.

Great game by the way. An extremely complex DF adventure mode is what I always wanted since I discovered Dwarf Fortress.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 15, 2012, 08:52:28 pm »

Ooookay.

So, magical regeneration for severed limbs it is.

Nha, just tame and strap a Gnome to your stump. ;)

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 16, 2012, 01:56:16 am »

Wow  :o you never know what you'll find when looking through forums like ...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:-[ (Coughs) Question after reading whole thread
   .will you be able to upgrade units with better stuff like your one elite badass Cyclopes from simple loincloth to Plate Mail and gaint maul that fits him but is very hard to get. Or will he just have to get lucky with finding stuff on the battlefield?
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #521 on: April 16, 2012, 09:42:27 am »

I'm glad you like the idea for the cultural difference marriage proposal idea. I've got plenty more. I'm actually quite excited for this game.

Another thing I want to ask is, assuming towns are settled around some kind of resources and there is a lot of trading, will caravans be travelling from town to town so as we can actually attempt to intercept them for their resources OR be paid to protect them on a voyage *temporarily putting them in our character's party* As well other guards could be protecting ones we are trying to loot, depending on the value of what is inside.

Glad to hear it :). Yes, absolutely; starving your foes of resources is going to be an important method of attack, and you'll definitely be able to assign guards to your caravans (just as the AI will depending on importance, danger, etc). When you send out a caravan or some other group, you'll be able to decide what level of protection you want to go with them (and, of course, you could go with them too, and if serving an army, you might be assigned to that).

Caravans, that sounds nice, this is shaping up to be an awesome and complicated ( aweplicated ) game.

However, that part where the caravan joins your party...do you mean you'll follow them, or will they actually, inexplicably, join you on adventurers/military campaigns you may have? 

In any case, I like the idea of settlements forming near resources, that's how it happened in ancient history, after all.

Thanks! Depends, I think; if you are in charge, you should be able to create caravans, send them out, keep track of them, etc. Caravans independently may try to trade with you/other sides too, I think.

they will inexplicably join yours under the assumption you are leading them to their destination, so I would say that since you are supposed to lead the way, you could lead them into an ambush go back to the king, shrug your shoulders and say "There was nothing we could do."

Another thing is, if we can become royalty and therefore eventually king, queen, leader, at that point what would we be able to do, change laws, I mean, I'm interested to hear an idea bout how that would work for us.

Would laws be made entirely random in the first place?  If civs and sentient creatures have certain leanings towards certain values and morals, changing laws that are opposite to them will anger them, right?

Laws are an interesting one. Different societies are going to have different social structures, and therefore alongside different laws, I think. Attacking the chief might be illegal among humans, say, but it might be perfectly acceptable for Orcs to decide upon a new ruler, etc.

Ooooh Revolutions/Civil Wars would be cool, be a good way for new empires to be founded if the map is taken up territorially. So there will always be opponents!

Yes! I'd like to enable both in the long run, but I think the map is so vast you're never going to run out :)

vast cave systems?

by which I mean vast, non-twisty cave systems, like in journey to the center of the earth (that place with the hugeass sea in it)

also, to get a mount, can we tame them, or will we always have to buy them? and if we tame them, will they have difficulty (trivial to impossible?(literally impossible))

There will be a subterranean world, primarily accessed via volcanoes and harboring Fiends. There will be some larger underworld areas too, and possibly even some civilizations down there.

Please no, I was under the impression that this was medieval high-fantasy. Steampunk hopefully will not make an appearance here, not that ive anything against it but I think it would somewhat ruin this game.

It's more like medieval mythological, not so much high fantasy. No real steampunk, though replacement limbs will likely exist. The next blog entry is actually going to be a lot about the "setting" of the game, so that should be clearer then.

Eye-patch...
Pirates...
sea-travel?
I have a feeling this has already been brought up though.

Hell yes.

I have a question which may have been brought up, but I can't seem to find it so here it goes.

About the magic in this game. How will we be able to learn it? Will we read books or raid tombs and what not? Or will we be able to make a really low-skill magician at character creation? I actually prefer learning magic in-game if it is actually possible at first.

I know that this won't be in the first alpha build, but any idea at all when will it be implemented?

Again if these questions have been asked already, I apologize.

Great game by the way. An extremely complex DF adventure mode is what I always wanted since I discovered Dwarf Fortress.

Mostly books, or dealing with gods, though you will be able to create the basics at character creation. I'm still not certain how big a role magic will have, and how important gods will be, so this is all largely in the air. No problem :). And thanks!

Wow  :o you never know what you'll find when looking through forums like ...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:-[ (Coughs) Question after reading whole thread
   .will you be able to upgrade units with better stuff like your one elite badass Cyclopes from simple loincloth to Plate Mail and gaint maul that fits him but is very hard to get. Or will he just have to get lucky with finding stuff on the battlefield?

Haha, thanks a lot! I'm glad to hear it looks so exciting! Yes, definitely. You'll be able to manage your forces as intricately or not as you want, but creatures will automatically deal with armor. If they feel they don't have adequate armor and your army is stopping off in a town, for instance, I think it would be neat if they spent some of their own money on improved armor. In general, larger creatures don't wear armor, but Titans and Cyclopes and things do, and so you'll have to find, made or buy appropriately large armor.

Lastly, new blog entry on the breaking of roguelike convention, and a mini-screenshot. Enjoy! http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/04/16/size-and-roguelikes/

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #522 on: April 16, 2012, 09:59:43 am »

Pretty exciting stuff, So population count, I'm assuming you can kill everyone in a village, town, city, etc. I tend to not want goblins to live.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 16, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »

In general, larger creatures don't wear armor, but Titans and Cyclopes and things do, and so you'll have to find, made or buy appropriately large armor.
Sweeeett! Right now my mind is racing with images of a squad of Cyclopes and Giants in full plate mail wielding massive axes/mauls crashing into squads of terified milita.   :D
Another question: in the first post you meantion Liches and Zombies but what about other undead like Wrights, Vampires, Wraiths and the others? I have to ask because as my name says I am a Lord of the Undead (well the incorporeal ones at least) ;D
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 16, 2012, 02:08:33 pm »

In general, larger creatures don't wear armor, but Titans and Cyclopes and things do, and so you'll have to find, made or buy appropriately large armor.

...and if I want to outfit even my most gigantic of creatures with armour? If my dragons are ill-protected against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and I feel like pimping those scaly bastards? If I have a lonely titan, and his shins and feet are in constant agony? If I have money to burn and feel like fielding the world's first ever roc cataphracts?

What will I tell my wide-eyed children when they point to the screen and say "Why did the big-thingy have to go away, daddy?" WHAT WILL I TELL THEM?

(I don't have children. But I am a manchild. Does that count?)
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 221