Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585700 times)

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #525 on: April 16, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »

This class is for enemies that are larger than just a single square.

Please, make a kraken like in dungeon crawl!

Do you plan to make some creatures that are smaller than a square? (and that can be stacked)

Hail the Leprechaun Warlock!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #526 on: April 17, 2012, 04:18:17 am »

Pretty exciting stuff, So population count, I'm assuming you can kill everyone in a village, town, city, etc. I tend to not want goblins to live.

Definitely; lower population means lower upkeep on a town, and 0 population means the town quickly becomes a ghost-town, and then a ruin.

In general, larger creatures don't wear armor, but Titans and Cyclopes and things do, and so you'll have to find, made or buy appropriately large armor.
Sweeeett! Right now my mind is racing with images of a squad of Cyclopes and Giants in full plate mail wielding massive axes/mauls crashing into squads of terified milita.   :D
Another question: in the first post you meantion Liches and Zombies but what about other undead like Wrights, Vampires, Wraiths and the others? I have to ask because as my name says I am a Lord of the Undead (well the incorporeal ones at least) ;D

There's a wide selection of undead intended, ranging in size, corporeality, deadliness and general makeup, and that does include Wraiths, and maybe Vampires too! There's also one or two undead of my own creation which I think are rather snazzy. The undead are going to be a big focus for one of the earlier releases, but probably not #1.

...and if I want to outfit even my most gigantic of creatures with armour? If my dragons are ill-protected against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and I feel like pimping those scaly bastards? If I have a lonely titan, and his shins and feet are in constant agony? If I have money to burn and feel like fielding the world's first ever roc cataphracts?

What will I tell my wide-eyed children when they point to the screen and say "Why did the big-thingy have to go away, daddy?" WHAT WILL I TELL THEM?

(I don't have children. But I am a manchild. Does that count?)

Hahaha - all good questions. I may put in the option to create/place an order for armor of particularly obscure sizes/designs for creatures that don't normally wear armor. Thinking about it, people have always put armor on war animals or other creatures, so I guess I could/should make it possible...

This class is for enemies that are larger than just a single square.

Please, make a kraken like in dungeon crawl!

Do you plan to make some creatures that are smaller than a square? (and that can be stacked)

Hail the Leprechaun Warlock!

No creatures below a square, I'm afraid (dwarves/small quadrupeds like wolves etc being the smallest); who told you about the Kraken?...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:03:46 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #527 on: April 17, 2012, 10:05:23 am »

Will ruins eventually return to wildlife? I would like to think so, assuming we play 100 years in. Also, a function that I would personally like to ask between making characters is to wait some time. Perhaps years, most likely our characters take on a peasant job or such during this time. I would hate having to wait day after day ingame for my population to rise just so I could recruit soldiers.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 17, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 17, 2012, 07:26:36 pm »

Woo!

Will armour/weapons be thicker/larger for bigger creatures? If a titan had a shield that was the same relative size, it would end up being several feet thick and utterly impenetrable to anything significantly smaller. Will this be the state of things, or will all shields be 3/8ths of an inch thick, for example? If size doesnt scale, I assume that large creatures would batter through gigantic armour like tin foil, because relative to them, that's exactly what it is.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 18, 2012, 01:21:01 pm »

Will ruins eventually return to life?
Or, will outlaws use ruins as HQs?

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #531 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:03 pm »

That'd be cool too, but if not they should use tents or something burnable... yes burnable.... I like to burn said things. Burn anything wooden, please let me burn everything?
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Some1fromMKD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 20, 2012, 05:42:10 am »

Well now I know that you can serve in an army. But how will it work? Will we have to follow the leader around wherever he goes? Will it be automatic(the game moves your character wherever the leader goes)? Will we be given orders (for example: Regroup near city X, raid village Y)? I assume it will get very boring having nothing to do while following your commander or if it's automatic waiting and doing nothing while the game moves your character (or squad if you're in charge of one). For example if I'm the lowest rank in an army without anyone under my command will I just have to mindlessly follow my squad leader, or will I get orders from my leader to go to city X or help raid village Y?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #533 on: April 21, 2012, 08:37:29 am »

Will ruins eventually return to wildlife? I would like to think so, assuming we play 100 years in. Also, a function that I would personally like to ask between making characters is to wait some time. Perhaps years, most likely our characters take on a peasant job or such during this time. I would hate having to wait day after day ingame for my population to rise just so I could recruit soldiers.

Yes; shrines and ruins and things currently look a bit overgrown. I'll probably make it more specific according to how old they are, which shouldn't actually take too long. That's an interesting suggestion; I'll have to think about how that would work, if needed.

Woo!

Will armour/weapons be thicker/larger for bigger creatures? If a titan had a shield that was the same relative size, it would end up being several feet thick and utterly impenetrable to anything significantly smaller. Will this be the state of things, or will all shields be 3/8ths of an inch thick, for example? If size doesnt scale, I assume that large creatures would batter through gigantic armour like tin foil, because relative to them, that's exactly what it is.

Oh, yes - you can only hold/wield things made for your size. And larger shields and armor are indeed thicker and much tougher, while large creatures will find it much easier to break through lesser armors :).

Or, will outlaws use ruins as HQs?

Potentially - they may also make their own camps, the latter being the one I'm working on more atm, but I definitely want to allow ruins to be taken over.

That'd be cool too, but if not they should use tents or something burnable... yes burnable.... I like to burn said things. Burn anything wooden, please let me burn everything?

There is fire, but I'm not sure how much is going to be flammable yet, or how it spreads, or things like that...

Well now I know that you can serve in an army. But how will it work? Will we have to follow the leader around wherever he goes? Will it be automatic(the game moves your character wherever the leader goes)? Will we be given orders (for example: Regroup near city X, raid village Y)? I assume it will get very boring having nothing to do while following your commander or if it's automatic waiting and doing nothing while the game moves your character (or squad if you're in charge of one). For example if I'm the lowest rank in an army without anyone under my command will I just have to mindlessly follow my squad leader, or will I get orders from my leader to go to city X or help raid village Y?

Well, if you join a 'campaign' (as in, a military campaign, not campaign in the singleplayer-RTS sense) you will be serving in the army. You will have specific orders, but that's not exactly much different to objectives in any other game. Your troop will move around the map according to the commander's decisions, and you'll fight in appropriate battles. However, you will always have a choice about how to fight, whether to disband, to loot, sign up for optional missions the commander may want, volunteer, desert, turn on your allies, etc. Also, even at the lowest level, I think you'll be making collegiate decisions within your squad, and making those decisions well will have you quickly rise up to have command of a small squad of your own. However, all of this is in its earliest stages, but I hope to avoid making it 'mindless' :). But then, is following an objective in Skyrim any less mindless? You should have just as much choice about how to do the objective and whether to do it at all, and you should quickly be able to give your own objectives, too. When serving in an army your meta-objective, as it were, is to rise through the ranks, impress your superiors, etc. Additionally, there will be other options as well as the conventional military, like special units and similar. Stay tuned on that one.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 21, 2012, 09:16:41 am »

Oh, yes - you can only hold/wield things made for your size. And larger shields and armor are indeed thicker and much tougher, while large creatures will find it much easier to break through lesser armors :).

Work-In-Progress and all that, but this makes me question one thing. How will things balance out? That makes it sound like a single giant (or similar creature), kitted out in decent gear, would be able to beat several human sized units in an even fight.

While you talk of fully kitted titans as a possibility, will they be absent most of the time due to lack of resources (small ratio of giants to smaller humanoids, metal working is expensive). That actually leads to my second question. Will majority of the armies be equipped semi-historically or hollywood style? That is, are majority of the units peasant levy types or knights in full gear?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 21, 2012, 09:22:22 am »

I actually think that starting a common foot soldier would make an excellent setting a tutorial.

There has been some discussion of being able to play a successor once you die, which implies that there are some options at game start. One of those options could be buying your own squad of soldiers so you start off semi-independent versus playing a successor from an old game or starting off as a new recruit.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 21, 2012, 09:35:34 am »

I actually think that starting a common foot soldier would make an excellent setting a tutorial.

That....is an exceedingly good idea.  Getting acquainted with the basics of combat, warfare, etc.  Real nice. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 21, 2012, 09:36:26 am »

There has been some discussion of being able to play a successor once you die, which implies that there are some options at game start. One of those options could be buying your own squad of soldiers so you start off semi-independent versus playing a successor from an old game or starting off as a new recruit.

Seeing how this will be a medieval/fantasy setting, I'm fully expecting the ability to play as the head or subordinate of your own mercenary company at some point down the road. Who says you have to suck up to the sovereigns?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 21, 2012, 11:34:51 am »

I'd love to play as a free mercenary company leader who cares nothing about wars and loyalty.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 21, 2012, 05:26:57 pm »

I'd love to play as a free mercenary company leader who cares nothing about wars and loyalty.

Seconded. I want to play a namby-pamby drunkard who's exceedingly good at switching sides when the situation looks grim.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:21:13 pm by BishopX »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 221