Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596255 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' (v 0.1.0 finally released)
« Reply #1035 on: November 14, 2012, 03:50:08 pm »

Well, we don't need white flags. Dropping your weapon and throwing yourself to the ground pretty clearly means "I ain't gonna fight you".

Yeah, I imagine dropping your weapon is a pretty universal sign of surrender.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 14, 2012, 04:29:19 pm »

Well, we don't need white flags. Dropping your weapon and throwing yourself to the ground pretty clearly means "I ain't gonna fight you".

Yeah, I imagine dropping your weapon is a pretty universal sign of surrender.

It is why the Yo-yo was the greatest weapon ever created. You could drop your weapon and score the kill at the same time.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 14, 2012, 07:06:11 pm »

You mean things like flags? Like, a white flag means surrendering or wanting peace and stuff like that?

That's not universal, though. Heck, it's been used as the main flag for several civilizations. In fact, it was the Royal flag for France in the 17th century.

Maybe it became commonly used after all those French defeats...  :P

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1038 on: November 15, 2012, 05:32:21 pm »

All the various types of trees look as if they're coming along very well. I think I remember you mentioning cryptography briefly earlier on. Will there be various means of encryption more than just the substitution ciphers like they have in the newspaper's cryptoquotes, or will we see more complex methods of friend and foe transferring messages? Is there a possibility of polylaphabetic ciphers, and will we see more complex (on the scale of programming, I'd assume) tactics such as scytale, which was a ribbon of letters that had to be wrapped around an object of a specific diameter for the message to be revealed?

If I was wrong about you discussing cryptography then ignore the above questions and instead pretend they're suggestions.

There are going to be number of types of cypher, and a number of ways in-game to get hints on them. I think currently the higher your crypto skill and intelligence the higher the chance of your character identifying the code - say, "This looks like a moderately difficult Caesar cypher" or whatever. For the tougher ones, there will also be sources in-game that would give you hints, or part of the key, or people who could be bribed/threatened etc, but I'd like to leave most of them actually solvable by the player, as none of them are going to be too tricky. I hadn't considered the scytale; interesting. Say, if one was a Vigenere cypher, then you would have various sources you could find the key from, or parts of the key, or maybe someone who knows at least the length of the key. I'm even debating having civilizations generate simple cryptography machines... Of course, it's an entirely optional element, but I think incorporating it could be very interesting :).

Will characters be able to communicate at all if they don't understand each other's languages? They'll have to be able to at least show their intentions through some simple, universal language, right?

I *really* like that idea! If you encounter a friend/foe, you can try and communicate non-verbally; drop a weapon to surrender, point somewhere to suggest you both go that way, etc. I love that notion - I'll definitely add that.

In the mean time, I think feature bloat #2 is going to be finished within the next hour, which is a huge step forward for the 0.2.0 release! It looks pretty damned good. I've also fixed about twenty or thirty things on my list of small fixes/additions today as well; over the weekend I'm going to try and get the majority of the remainder of the list done, then I'll probably just be left with a few bugs and difficulties. Will keep everything updated here!

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 16, 2012, 05:18:56 am »

You mean things like flags? Like, a white flag means surrendering or wanting peace and stuff like that?

That's not universal, though. Heck, it's been used as the main flag for several civilizations. In fact, it was the Royal flag for France in the 17th century.

A very common misconception, France actually has one of the best military records of any country, and they've fought in more wars than any other country in the world. JYSK :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:20:36 am by Intrinsic »
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 16, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »

France gets a bad rap because of the World Wars. Mostly WWII, because they were considered a Major Power and got stomped on in a very short amount of time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 16, 2012, 01:04:45 pm »

A very common misconception, France actually has one of the best military records of any country, and they've fought in more wars than any other country in the world. JYSK :)

Oh god, I know.  Remember that time they took over all of Europe before 1700?  That was scary.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 16, 2012, 01:31:17 pm »

And even then, the image of the Resistance has been ingrained as the Badass Underdog (not a tvtropes page? Well then). You don't mess with a dude who is both dressed sharp as well as armed to the teeth (though you wouldn't really mess with the second one anyway).

Have you discussed alternate mounts, such as bears, elephants, slaves, etc? And with elephants, if they're introduced as a mounted unit, will there be the chance to see them armed with ballistae? I think it was the Carthaginians that did that, not totally sure who was responsible for such a terror weapon.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 16, 2012, 03:04:05 pm »

And even then, the image of the Resistance has been ingrained as the Badass Underdog (not a tvtropes page? Well then). You don't mess with a dude who is both dressed sharp as well as armed to the teeth (though you wouldn't really mess with the second one anyway).

Have you discussed alternate mounts, such as bears, elephants, slaves, etc? And with elephants, if they're introduced as a mounted unit, will there be the chance to see them armed with ballistae? I think it was the Carthaginians that did that, not totally sure who was responsible for such a terror weapon.
Slaves have mounted since before Roman times!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 16, 2012, 03:04:55 pm »

France gets a bad rap because of the World Wars. Mostly WWII, because they were considered a Major Power and got stomped on in a very short amount of time.

And for how badly Neopolitan lost.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 16, 2012, 05:31:22 pm »

Still the buggers lost a whole lot of those wars.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 16, 2012, 05:41:14 pm »

Ok, France's flag had offset fleur-de-lis's on a white field. Then, France was a military powerhouse, on land the French were quite feared, they outmatched British infantry before the napoleonic wars, and the only reason they kept losing was becuase England would continually bitch-slap their navy.

EDIT: Of course there is the Battle of Minden...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:43:51 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 16, 2012, 05:43:57 pm »

To try to bring this derail back on track...

Are you going to keep track of nation's Reputation? If so, in how many areas? For example, England was renowned for its Navy but Venice for its Merchants.
Come play Mafia with us!

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 17, 2012, 03:09:21 am »

Still the buggers lost a whole lot of those wars.

Well duh, if you've fought over 160 wars, you're gonna loose a bigger number than those who've fought only 10 ;p France still has won more than double what they've lost, ~65% of the total they've fought in.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1049 on: November 17, 2012, 07:07:43 am »

Elephants, horses and camels are my intended mounts; that's an amazing idea re: Elephant-ballista! Did that actually happen? I mean, I reason an armoured elephant isn't that far away from a siege weapon anyway, but still...

To try to bring this derail back on track...

Are you going to keep track of nation's Reputation? If so, in how many areas? For example, England was renowned for its Navy but Venice for its Merchants.

Attempt appreciated! (I like a historical debate as much as the next man, but I don't think I have much to add to this one). Well, for starters, civilizations have a number of traits, relating to their history, what kind of government they like, production, what form of military unit they prefer, etc etc, which will be assigned partly at random and partly in relation to their starting location/situation. Similarly, though, I'll probably have a number of scales that civilizations are tracked on - like the ones you mention - and that'll reflect dealings with them, what other civilizations are willing to ally with them, etc. Equally, in the screens that list civilizations it might say what they are known for and what their specialties are, as well as data like army size, food output, production, government, etc etc.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 221