Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596296 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.5 released!
« Reply #2145 on: August 10, 2014, 10:18:32 pm »

Cool. Do you plan to let the player go on/captain a ship with that release?

INDEED! Though it will not be the next release (0.6). Probably .9 or .10, based on my current development plan (almost certainly 0.9).

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 10, 2014, 10:48:47 pm »

INDEED! Though it will not be the next release (0.6). Probably .9 or .10, based on my current development plan (almost certainly 0.9).
Mmk. What do you have planned for .7 and .8?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2147 on: August 11, 2014, 11:51:56 am »

Mmk. What do you have planned for .7 and .8?

This seems like a sensible point to post this link: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/development-plan-2/

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2148 on: August 13, 2014, 01:44:18 pm »

Finally fixed all the remaining bugs with roads going into loops, or choosing the wrong orientations when a town is built on them, and other similar weirdness.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 13, 2014, 06:25:05 pm »

So this is kind of veering back to the original idea by letting the player be in charge of some things?
My interest is again grabbed.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2150 on: August 14, 2014, 03:29:35 am »

So this is kind of veering back to the original idea by letting the player be in charge of some things?
My interest is again grabbed.

Ahhhh, not as such, but as a high-level perk you may be able to sail a ship yourself rather than choosing a ship that's going on the path/trade route you desire. Or maybe as a player class. I have some very interesting ideas for player classes, but maybe that could make a decent one. But the way you describe it, and what I think you mean by your question, the answer's no - I mean, you're going to be changing the entire face of the world, but you won't be "in charge of things" like armies etc.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 14, 2014, 07:09:15 am »

It's been a very long while i didn't checked URR , i just did and wow.
Amazing piece of world exploration, the visual is really great, trees are superb, and those 2D arts pieces i see everywhere are fantastic i wasn't expecting when i pressed l and was looking at a tree foliage and the terrain under it to see actual artwork to describe what i was seeing.

Of course it's only 0.5 so there are many things i can't yet get to and there's limited amount of sight seeing to do then, but the potential of awesome is there and from what i read on your website, there's a lot more to explore and discover in the next version.
Keep it up !

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2152 on: August 14, 2014, 01:51:52 pm »

It's been a very long while i didn't checked URR , i just did and wow.
Amazing piece of world exploration, the visual is really great, trees are superb, and those 2D arts pieces i see everywhere are fantastic i wasn't expecting when i pressed l and was looking at a tree foliage and the terrain under it to see actual artwork to describe what i was seeing.

Of course it's only 0.5 so there are many things i can't yet get to and there's limited amount of sight seeing to do then, but the potential of awesome is there and from what i read on your website, there's a lot more to explore and discover in the next version.
Keep it up !

Thanks! It's exactly this kind of feedback that keeps me motivated :). I'm glad you like all the graphics (there are many more delicious ones coming in this release) - if you haven't, press 'E' to bring up the encyclopedia, and give that a look...

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: August 14, 2014, 02:56:32 pm »

I checked out of this for quite a while, and just read up on it today.
OH HOLY HELL YES THIS IS AMAZING THANK YOU
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2154 on: August 14, 2014, 04:47:43 pm »

I checked out of this for quite a while, and just read up on it today.
OH HOLY HELL YES THIS IS AMAZING THANK YOU

NO THANK YOU! Glad you like it :). Don't know how much of the recent stuff you've read, but starting around October I'm going to be working on it full-time for a year, rather than part-timing it as I've been doing the last three-and-a-bit years. I AM HYPED.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2155 on: August 17, 2014, 04:07:46 am »

Here is this week's update - a long, detailed and in-depth analysis of current progress on URR:

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2014/08/17/the-shortest-update-in-urr-history/

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 17, 2014, 10:54:47 am »

So very long :D

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: August 17, 2014, 11:27:28 am »

TRICKERY AND DECEIT.
I had just settled in for a long read of the finer points of URR development - cup of tea in one hand, delicious cake in other - and was fooled!

By the all knowing ancestors of the Pry'Keru hierocracy, I demand satisfaction!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: August 17, 2014, 06:55:18 pm »

But the way you describe it, and what I think you mean by your question, the answer's no - I mean, you're going to be changing the entire face of the world, but you won't be "in charge of things" like armies etc.
I didn't mean specifically that, but just that in general the scope has now definitely widened considerably beyond, "Find dungeons, explore dungeons, find more dungeons."
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2159 on: August 18, 2014, 02:12:56 am »

TRICKERY AND DECEIT.
I had just settled in for a long read of the finer points of URR development - cup of tea in one hand, delicious cake in other - and was fooled!

By the all knowing ancestors of the Pry'Keru hierocracy, I demand satisfaction!

Nothing I can say can ever make up for this betrayal. I know this :(

But the way you describe it, and what I think you mean by your question, the answer's no - I mean, you're going to be changing the entire face of the world, but you won't be "in charge of things" like armies etc.
I didn't mean specifically that, but just that in general the scope has now definitely widened considerably beyond, "Find dungeons, explore dungeons, find more dungeons."

I'm not trying to nitpick (and I'm very glad you're re-interested!), but this has honestly never been the "scope". The core of the game is the manipulation of the world's history, of which exploring dungeons is just one part; much of the gameplay will take place outside dungeons with exploring cities and other settlements, gathering and using information and knowledge. The way you have expressed it resembles ADOM, for instance, and is nothing like my intentions for URR. If this is unclear then it's because I've failed to elucidate it thoroughly enough - I realize I am cautious about saying too much about the final version of the game, given I'm maybe ~1/4 through development, but I don't see much value to saying "In four years the game will include x!". I try to keep updates/future plans no more than a year ahead, even though the entire thing is planned out from my end. Saying URR is just "find dungeon and explore dungeon" would be like saying Mass Effect is "just" "find planet, explore planet". I'm not doing one of those "my game is special and different!!!" things - that description is genuinely very inaccurate, though it is probably my fault if I've given off that impression. It is difficult managing a many-year project of this sort and describing it accurately without getting people excited for features that may be years away.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 221