Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 592185 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.7 released!
« Reply #2835 on: June 27, 2016, 06:12:24 pm »

Oh yes.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: June 28, 2016, 08:27:46 pm »

I can easily put 50+ hours into URR in half a week, if the content is there to be exhausted!

Be warned: I'm one of those annoying "talk to every single NPC, exhaust every single chat option, touch every object, read every description, do every mini quest, and generally explore all the lore" kind of guy. Yes, I have every single book ever made in Elder Scrolls in my in-game libraries, meticulously arranged by color, alphabetized, or by category. (depends on the shelf.)

As my best friend puts it, I'm that prick who stops and walks halfway across the map to loot that one random corpse or box that's probably got nothing useful. Then again, that's why I become rich early on (and am always encumbered - a derp)

Ahh, the things we writers do in games...
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: June 29, 2016, 12:24:15 am »

Since we're on the topic of NPCs, and I'm currently still catching up, will NPCs have their own personal set of beliefs and philosophy? I don't know how that would translate to gameplay, but it would be interesting to see some sort of a resurgence for the willpower and thought process for AIs mechanic of yore.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: June 29, 2016, 11:43:34 am »

I can easily put 50+ hours into URR in half a week, if the content is there to be exhausted!

This is shocking to me. It is very easy to produce unlimited content but getting a human to consume all that content is impossible since humans can easily get bored by that content. So writing an algorithm to produce a 50,000-word novel is easy but writing an algorithm to produce a 50,000-word novel that a human will read is difficult (hence, the NaNoGenMo competition).

If you consume 50 hours of content, and in each hour, reads 1000 words (a huge underestimate), you will consume 50,000 words of content. Assuming that you can tolerate the possible repetition of content, could Mark be the first person to have produced a human-readable, computer-generated novel...simply because, you, Ehndras, was willing to consume this content?

Disclaimer: my previous account is Servant Corps, and I made posts in this thread before.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:46:40 am by Skynet »

HellTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: June 30, 2016, 07:17:36 am »

hello! i tried to find a information how playable the game is, what features you can test. i am more a gamer then a tester, is it right now worth to dive into it, like into DF?
many thanks for some hints!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: June 30, 2016, 11:02:40 am »

Right now, I'd probbably say no, unless you really, really like ghostly-empty planets in ascii.

After the next release, probbably, since the world comes to life.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

HellTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: June 30, 2016, 11:58:52 am »

oke thx!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: June 30, 2016, 08:53:16 pm »

I don't mind repetition. I'm that asshole that reads every single option every single NPC in adventure mode (DF) has, and speaks to every single NPC, reads every single book and letter, and the description of every item in every game I've ever played.

:)

I'm a writer. Character development and lore are what I love in games. Otherwise, I wouldn't have played Final Fantasy X 60+ times, beaten Kingdom Hearts a dozen times, Played every single Fallout and Elder Scrolls including the oooooooooooooooooooold versions, etc.

Also, I can easily read a 500-page hardcover novel in a few short hours. I read ridiculously fast thanks to a weird technique I developed as a kid. I loooooooooove reading! I spend all day on Quora reading and writing :)
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: June 30, 2016, 08:54:30 pm »

If only I could fit this in my sig:

could Mark be the first person to have produced a human-readable, computer-generated novel...simply because, you, Ehndras, was willing to consume this content?

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: July 01, 2016, 12:42:32 pm »

When I can wade into beta-test? I read somehow in this thread, that first part of it finished, and now it's close to open testing... Or I miss somethink?
(Love to test AI system)
Heh

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2845 on: July 01, 2016, 01:16:21 pm »

Be warned: I'm one of those annoying "talk to every single NPC, exhaust every single chat option, touch every object, read every description, do every mini quest, and generally explore all the lore" kind of guy. Yes, I have every single book ever made in Elder Scrolls in my in-game libraries, meticulously arranged by color, alphabetized, or by category. (depends on the shelf.)

As my best friend puts it, I'm that prick who stops and walks halfway across the map to loot that one random corpse or box that's probably got nothing useful. Then again, that's why I become rich early on (and am always encumbered - a derp)

Ahh, the things we writers do in games...

Then this will be *the* game for you, given that doing that will be - to a greater or lesser extent - basically integral to success, and to finding all the generated clues to the game's resolution!

Since we're on the topic of NPCs, and I'm currently still catching up, will NPCs have their own personal set of beliefs and philosophy? I don't know how that would translate to gameplay, but it would be interesting to see some sort of a resurgence for the willpower and thought process for AIs mechanic of yore.

Yes! It will vary based on their role, status, and history/origin/house/etc, which will influence what they'll be willing to say, do, etc. The question is still how much of this to show, and how to show it per se, which I continue to work on...

Assuming that you can tolerate the possible repetition of content, could Mark be the first person to have produced a human-readable, computer-generated novel...simply because, you, Ehndras, was willing to consume this content?

Ah, I've been rumbled!

Right now, I'd probbably say no, unless you really, really like ghostly-empty planets in ascii.

After the next release, probbably, since the world comes to life.

Yep.

When I can wade into beta-test? I read somehow in this thread, that first part of it finished, and now it's close to open testing... Or I miss somethink?
(Love to test AI system)
Heh

You can download the previous version (now over a year out of date, as this new version is huge!) and I did run a closed beta test a little while ago for testing 0.8, but that's done now. You'll be able to download 0.8 very soon! :)

WakeMeUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: July 01, 2016, 06:44:16 pm »

Wow! It's so much cooler than DF!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: July 02, 2016, 05:10:26 am »

Will NPC's walk and talk?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: July 02, 2016, 05:18:51 am »

Will NPC's walk and talk?

What exactly do you mean? At the same time, to each other, or what?

NPCs wander around doing their daily business, and you can go up to them and talk. Do you mean ambient conversations?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: July 02, 2016, 02:05:50 pm »

I mean NPC's talking to players while they go about their shit, like you'd see in most cities say.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 221