Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585767 times)

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum (0.8 back in development!)
« Reply #3135 on: October 15, 2019, 06:34:05 am »

We all want it.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: October 15, 2019, 07:48:16 am »

Well shit, I was single when this thread started. I’ve been married for a month now. It feels strange when I put it that way. I haven’t stuck with a project for that long, that’s for sure. And I’m glad you have!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: October 15, 2019, 05:21:04 pm »

Well shit, I was single when this thread started. I’ve been married for a month now. It feels strange when I put it that way. I haven’t stuck with a project for that long, that’s for sure. And I’m glad you have!

According to Google, this thread was established 2,927 days ago, or a touch over eight years. And hopefully, your marriage will be your longest lasting project? :D
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3138 on: December 08, 2019, 09:02:35 am »

Dev, plz.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: January 26, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »

Is there any meaningful gameplay ATM?

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: February 19, 2020, 03:53:40 pm »

According to his personal blog, Mark suffered a head injury and consussion sometime last year. Part of his recovery was limiting screen time, which naturally limited the time he could spend coding URR and responding to forums threads.

Still, in the latest post he says he's gotten much better and to expect some kind of news on the URR front this month.

If you're reading this, Mark, I'm happy everything worked out and you're getting better! I hope you like it down under there in Australia!

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3141 on: February 25, 2020, 04:02:28 pm »

Damn. Concussions suck!! (I had one too.)
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #3142 on: September 20, 2020, 07:49:40 am »

Hello,

Someone knows something about what’s going on, if something is going on ?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: September 20, 2020, 07:56:08 am »

Googling around, last i noticed was early september in the comments of this article :
https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2020/08/10/an-update-for-strange-times-iii/
September 2, 2020 at 2:19 am
Yeah, there is some Windows 10 issue that needs resolving, which is something I’m looking into at the moment.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: September 24, 2020, 09:51:56 am »

Googling around, last i noticed was early september in the comments of this article :
https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2020/08/10/an-update-for-strange-times-iii/
September 2, 2020 at 2:19 am
Yeah, there is some Windows 10 issue that needs resolving, which is something I’m looking into at the moment.

I imagine as a new university lecturer/professor he's become very busy this month
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: October 23, 2020, 04:19:50 am »

It seems that the author fortunately recovered from his health problem, that's great.
He also focused october into a lot of bugfixing work on URR as you can see from all his blog posts this month :
https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/blog/

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3146 on: December 26, 2020, 05:57:32 am »

Hello everyone! Long time no see :).

I want 0.8.
We all want it.

I would check back tomorrow or at most the day after, my friends...

Haha, congrats! Such a period is certainly the upper limit of my project-sticking sanity.

According to his personal blog, Mark suffered a head injury and consussion sometime last year. Part of his recovery was limiting screen time, which naturally limited the time he could spend coding URR and responding to forums threads.

Still, in the latest post he says he's gotten much better and to expect some kind of news on the URR front this month.

If you're reading this, Mark, I'm happy everything worked out and you're getting better! I hope you like it down under there in Australia!

Thank Minstrel! Sydney is fabulous, especially for a nature lover like me; I live pretty near the city centre but all I have to do is go outside to see wild parrots, ibises, kookaburras, possums, lizards, fruit bats... amazing stuff. My head is indeed doing better, although the psychological impact is going to be a while longer.

Hello,

Someone knows something about what’s going on, if something is going on ?
It seems that the author fortunately recovered from his health problem, that's great.
He also focused october into a lot of bugfixing work on URR as you can see from all his blog posts this month :
https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/blog/

Indeed! I have been actively coding again on and off for the last year but most seriously in the last 4-5 months. 0.8 is actually done, and I'll be releasing it tomorrow (probably) or if not, the day after.

!!!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:17:11 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum 0.8 RELEASED 27/12/2020
« Reply #3147 on: December 27, 2020, 03:26:55 am »

Ultima Ratio Regum 0.8 Released

It is with immense pleasure that after around five years (!!?!) of development, including a year "off" when I thought / feared I might never return: Ultima Ratio Regum 0.8 is done!

Main features:

Procedural generation of potentially millions of possible NPCs in all settlements within the game.

Several dozen different NPC types, each with their own schedules which play out alongside the player's actions.

Face generation with significant variation for genetics and culture.

Detailed conversation system, with several hundred potential lines of enquiry, and answers / detail of answers / willingness to answer determined by a range of social and personal factors, leading to millions of possible conversations.

Procedural clothing generation for almost all possible items of clothing, differences in clothing between cultures, and also major differences in clothing between culture types (feudal, nomadic, tribal, etc), and unique clothing styles for religions.

A large number of general optimisations, improvements, new visuals for various things, and so forth.

You can download it at https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/games/ultima-ratio-regum/.

I have no idea whether this is the last version or not, but it's done. And more importantly it contains everything I hoped for and everything I wanted; a living breathing talking moving world, with vast numbers of people, procedurally-generated dialects and speech patterns, faces, clothing, NPC schedules, and a million other things I probably mentioned somewhere back in the blog's history but forgot about, in the long period between then and now. Although I don't know whether any game can really meet expectations after five years: I do, sincerely, hope you all find something interesting in this world and its people. As long as that's the case it will have been worth the time spent.

One final note: this is the largest and most complex release I've ever done. I've spent well over two years bug-fixing and attempting to make everything run correctly, but I'm sure I've missed things, despite the hundreds of hours I've put into exhausting testing everything I can find myself and nearly a dozen other people also performing playtesting duties. (I have also fixed another bunch of minor bugs from the previous blog post which I found in the process of final playtesting this week.)

Anyway, what this means is: if you find a bug, especially a crash bug, please report it to me with maximum information: where were you, what were you doing, had you previously been saving or loading, was there an error message, etc etc. In fact, any information you can give me about everything you'd done in the game up to then - had you stayed in one district, had you entered lots of houses, had you traveled the world, etc - will also be of immense value. As well as the trackback, the more information you can possibly give me, the easier it will be to hunt down what went wrong. You can use the contact form on the website, or leave a comment on this blog post. Thank you!

(However, if you find some weird phrasing in NPCs' speech, please actually don't report that - I already know that the sentence generator comes out with something weird from time to time).

And thank you all for sticking with me, or for coming back: either way, it's wonderful to have people here for this, and it means a great deal to me. I wish you luck in the world of URR!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum (0.8 released after five years!)
« Reply #3149 on: December 27, 2020, 04:26:29 am »

Congratulations on the release!
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 221