Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585603 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum (0.9 released Dec 31 2021!)
« Reply #3225 on: October 06, 2022, 04:45:48 am »

Huh, I'd forgotten about this game.

Not really my thing I think, but the procedural generation always seemed impressive.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3226 on: October 06, 2022, 05:06:22 am »

Huh, I'd forgotten about this game.

Not really my thing I think, but the procedural generation always seemed impressive.

Thanks friend! It has actually been back in active development for a few years now, but I still struggle to make development truly *regular* and routine. It's one of my big challenges for the coming years.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3227 on: October 06, 2022, 06:50:38 am »

My first plan for 0.10 was procedural book generation. We already had the books generating as items and - if you'll allow me - they're one of the things I was proudest of in the 0.9 release:

This was always intended to be a central part of the game - I want to get the game generating texts that were logical and meaningful and connected closely to the game world, and to get the player reading these as a central part of learning about the world and finding the clues to the core mystery. However, as readers will know to some extent, 2022 has not exactly been the year I was hoping it would in terms of my health, and while things might be picking up now, I often feel like I'm in a perpetual back-and-forth between "unwell" and "getting back to where I was before I got unwell again", with little time to actually build something and build on what I've been doing previously. I'm now back in the "gbtwiwbigua" phase (as we call it) once more, but I don't know what the rest of the year holds. This is important because the generation of the book contents is something I've made some progress on - some incredibly exciting progress, actually - but realistically there is no way I can now finish it before the end of the year. Even if I didn't have a full-time job to consider, and even if I did literally nothing else for 0.10 except the book contents, I still don't think I could get it finished in time. I really don't want to half-arse the book generation as it's something that really excites me, but I also am now determined (as discussed in past blog posts) to keep to one major release a year, no matter what.

So, instead, 0.10 is going to be the "everything I wanted to put in 0.7, 0.8 and 0.9, but didn't have the time to" release! I've been making some good progress easing myself back in, building some new code and some new content, and refamiliarizing myself with everything, so here's what has been added so far in the past couple of months:

New Items

To begin with, we have some new items! These appear in a variety of logical shops and are items that contribute to your navigation of the world and to surviving in the world (see below). The first of these is the compass, which (like everything) can be found in various qualities and various shapes depending on the civilization you buy it from. The compass reduces how much water the player consumes when moving through desert - the logic being that you can more accurately plan your movements instead of stumbling around uncertainly. The quality of the compass - low, medium, high - determines how accurate it is and thus how much water is saved, with the lowest quality saving the player 25% of their water, the medium quality saving 33%, and the highest quality saving 50%.

The second of these is the binoculars, which increase your viewing distance as you move around the world map using the "travel" function. The lowest quality binoculars will give you one extra map tile around the player as you move; the medium-quality binoculars will give you a few more extra map tiles in each direction as you move; and the highest-quality binoculars will give you a few more map tiles in each direction than that. It's hard to describe, but think of a circle where each quality level adds on a couple more tiles at the edge of the circle than the one before it.

Pitons are the equivalent of the compass, but for your use of supplies in mountainous or polar terrain, rather than your use of water in the desert. Pitons can be used to reduce your use of supplies in mountainous and polar terrain by 25%, 33%, or 50%, depending on the quality. Unlike the compasses and the binoculars pitons will very slowly be used up, but at a rate that still makes them a very profitable purchase compared to just using larger volumes of supplies.

We also have canes! These reduce food use in all of what I'm now calling the challenging terrains - desert, polar, and mountainous - by 25%, 33%, and 50%, again depending on quality. These can be purchased at carpenters' shops and like the pitons will eventually wear out, but only as an extremely slow pace. On a side note I have to say I'm particularly happy with the generator I built for these, as it is (un?)surprisingly difficult to think of many ways to vary and make interesting and item that is, essentially, a stick of wood. Nevertheless, I think I did pretty well here!

And, finally, we have grenades! Modelled after pre-gunpowder and early gunpowder historical grenades, these will be available in powdermaker shops in civilizations with the appropriate technologies and policies. Shown here from left to right is a hallucinogenic grenade, an explosive grenade, and a smoke grenade, and I'm working on a couple of other types as well. As I've said before, I really am excited about working on combat when that starts coming into play, and these are a category of item I've been looking forward to adding into the game for a while now.

Speech

Part of what I have planned for this release is really expanding and developing the speech options. As part of this, therefore, you can now ask NPCs open questions of the type "What do you think about [X]?". This means you can now question NPCs about any alcoholic drink, any prisoner (if you're talking to a jailer), any historical event, any ship (if you're talking to a sailor), any monastery or monk (if you're talking to monks or priests), any political party (in relevant nations), any major family (in feudal nations), any gladiator (in relevant nations), any feudal nation, any tribal nation, any nomadic nation, any known disease or plague, any religious relic, any religion, any individual, any city, any town, any area of the world map, any animal or plant, any weapon, any artwork, any book, and any political ideology. Here's an example of these sorts of questions in the list of questions, and then an example of how it currently looks when you're selecting what to ask:

One of my next tasks, of course, will be to develop the responses to these questions! More on this soon.

Survival

I've always hated the minutiae and the constant need to keep yourself from dying in most "survival games" - eat food every few minutes, drink water every few minutes, etc. It's tedious and repetitive and doesn't really add a great deal (except in a few rare cases where it is so tightly integrated into the game design, as in something like Don't Starve). By contrast, the survival mechanics in a game like The Curious Expedition, which was one of my favourite games from last year, struck me as very different. In moving survival from the constant to the strategic, the question in TCE is instead framed far more as "planning for an expedition" and making sure you have enough to survive, making good use of your resources, planning ahead, and so forth. These sorts of framings really attract me and really fit in with the sort of thing I'm looking to do in URR. It shouldn't be something the player is thinking about every second of the day, but given the game's focus on exploration and the size of the game world, I'm really attracted to the idea that in order to push out from one's base city you need to make sure you have what you need to survive, and that to push out into more challenging terrains (desert, polar, mountains, etc) you need to ensure you've got what you'll need to be able to properly explore them.

So, progress has begun on the "planning for expeditions" side of things by adding three meters into the game which you can see now on the sidebar on the left - food, water, and equipment. None of these are required in cities, towns, and on ships, but to head out yourself, you'll need to stock up on supplies. Food is consumed each day you're out of a settlement / ship; water is consumed each day you're in the desert (the assumption is that outside of the desert you can find abundant water sources), and equipment is consumed each day you're in polar or mountainous regions (again, it's assumed this is easier elsewhere). These can be bought in cities when you enter/exit through the city gate (which is the part of this I'm now working on). These are pretty cheap goods, but naturally if one runs out and isn't in a settlement or a ship, bad things might begin to happen - which should be pretty fun to code. More on this soon!

Thrones

Thrones - despite having been generated over a year ago - now, actually, appear in-game when you look at a throne. So that's nice.

Bug fixes

I've also completed a number of bug fixes, such as:

-Resolved an issue where pressing ‘@’ to look at your character didn’t properly give you the same navigation option for looking at your character that pressing ‘l’ or ‘;’, and then manually looking at yourself, would.

-Removed a debugging option in the “Export” menu that I’d accidentally left in the game – whoops!

-Hopefully fixed a problem with the world generation sequence very rarely freezing (not crashing) if you move the “focus” on your computer away from it to another app; I think this has been resolved, but it might need a little more testing.

-Fixed bugs where several speech options resulted in crashes.

-Fixed a bug where pressing the “Exchange” option in a conversation would lead to a crash (though I will be coming back to this in more detail later).

-Fixed a bug where the game would crash upon going up stairs (!).

-Fixed some typos in the generation of monastery names.

-Changed the name generator for mercenary guilds, since some of the generated names were a little bit... iffy.

-Fixed a problem where sometimes asking soldiers about their armour caused a crash.

-Standardised the spelling of “civilization” to the American English version – most words in the game are British English, but I’ve always liked the look of the ‘z’ in that word (I blame Sid Meier) so I decided on that one instead.

-Fixed shading on signs outside buildings in city centres.

-Fixed a bug with a crash upon entering a fortress.

-Fixed bug where a cult ring would sometimes try to generate for a non-cultist civilization, resulting in a crash.

-Fixed a BIG and long-running crash bug with some towns on the coast not generating enough homes for people to live in, resulting in a crash! This was because the game couldn’t find somewhere to put a dock in time, and then ran out of “can I place a building?” cycles before it was able to get to placing houses (which come after the larger, more important buildings). I'm really pleased to have finally solved this one, as this now means there are very few remaining known major bugs - in fact, only really one.

-Fixed a bug where turquoise mines did not display correctly in the encyclopedia and caused a crash, and also sometimes appeared as “metal” mines instead of “gem” mines (even though I am quite sure turquoise is not a metal).

-Fixed a bug where looking at a mine in the encyclopedia belonging to a nomadic, instead of a feudal nation, caused a crash because it was trying to print the wrong kind of flag.

-The list of ships in the encyclopedia now shows the images of the ships alongside their names, destinations, owners, traits, etc.

0.10 Begins

So: I'm pleased to say that 0.10 is now going to be a release focused on the stuff I couldn't get into the last few releases, plus a load of new items, some new mechanics, plus a load of polishes and refinements and fixes for bugs and things of that sort. Again, I think it's really important for me to settle into a regular annual release schedule of any size, rather than focusing on huge releases across any time period. I just don't think after being pretty unwell for eight months that four months - even four months of focus - is simply enough to do credit to the book generation ideas I've started working on, and that I'm excited to deploy. With that said I'm sure I will be continuing to do a bit of work on book content generation, since that excites me and I'm incredibly keen on developing this system I'm building for this - which I think is distinct from others? - and seeing where it can go. However, my priority will be on this 0.10 content, building on 0.9, polishing, fixing, improving, developing, and fleshing out, what's in the game right now. 0.11 might be book generation; it might even be combat; it might be some combination, or something else; but 0.10 is going to be a release of significant size, deepening both the gameplay interactions in the URR world, and the game world detail, and I'm excited to get working on it.

Thanks for reading everyone, and I'll see you in a couple of weeks - I promise! - for the next update! :)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: October 06, 2022, 10:58:49 am »

Just wanted to say that the ascii art you produce is, by far, the best I've ever seen - those books are gorgeous!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: October 06, 2022, 01:59:11 pm »

Just wanted to say that the ascii art you produce is, by far, the best I've ever seen - those books are gorgeous!

This comment makes me wish this forum had an upvote mechanism, rather than me having to make a "ditto" post.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: October 06, 2022, 04:45:47 pm »

I definitely like the new resource consumption mechanics - Being well-prepared for an expedition really helping with expeditions but not strictly required if you cant manage to source a good bit of kit & arent going into too much danger.

I think the systems as stated also have good potential for tweaking down the line for balancing / adding "extreme" conditions to encourage extra preparation / purchases, even if that's not currently in scope (Compass reducing the travel-slowing effect of a theoretical "fog" condition for example, or "blizzards" increasing Equipment usage while climbing to the mountainous location of the sought treasture...)

Putting off book content generation in order to ensure that you don't feel under any time crunch so that you can do it justice is a good idea I think.

Can't wait to see what other interesting things await!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3231 on: October 09, 2022, 06:21:22 pm »

Thank you AlStar, that's super kind of you! I really appreciate it :).

This comment makes me wish this forum had an upvote mechanism, rather than me having to make a "ditto" post.

Haha, thanks ndkid!

I definitely like the new resource consumption mechanics - Being well-prepared for an expedition really helping with expeditions but not strictly required if you cant manage to source a good bit of kit & arent going into too much danger.

I think the systems as stated also have good potential for tweaking down the line for balancing / adding "extreme" conditions to encourage extra preparation / purchases, even if that's not currently in scope (Compass reducing the travel-slowing effect of a theoretical "fog" condition for example, or "blizzards" increasing Equipment usage while climbing to the mountainous location of the sought treasture...)

Putting off book content generation in order to ensure that you don't feel under any time crunch so that you can do it justice is a good idea I think.

Can't wait to see what other interesting things await!

Thanks dorsi (have responded on my site as well!), I'm so glad you like it all! Getting back to coding is always an exciting thing; I just need to master the art of doing things bit-by-bit across the year, rather than in some single mad burst towards the end of a year. I had that mastered in the past, but it *is* something that has eluded me in more recent times...

sageleaf

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:MAKE_MEME]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: October 17, 2022, 02:44:15 pm »

the navigational resource system sounds amazing, and the items are gorgeous as well. I am curious on if there would be a system of gaining familiarity with a location to make travel easier, or hiring local guides?
~
If at all
~

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3233 on: November 02, 2022, 04:16:08 am »

the navigational resource system sounds amazing, and the items are gorgeous as well. I am curious on if there would be a system of gaining familiarity with a location to make travel easier, or hiring local guides?

Thanks sageleaf! Hmmm, that's an interesting question - maybe, maybe. Maybe certain areas reduce in food consumption the more often you pass through them, for instance. It's an interesting area and I do not dislike it!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3234 on: November 02, 2022, 07:58:43 pm »

Welcome to the second URRpdate for the 0.10 release coming at the end of December! Quite a bit has been added in the last few weeks, so let’s get started:

Banking

To begin with, you are now able to deposit any amount of your money into the bank in a given civilization, which will then – slowly – accumulate income over time. Right now the system will be that you can deposit any currency into a bank, but the currency of that bank’s home nation will accrue income much faster than other currencies. I’ve been doing a bit of experimenting with compound interest calculations, and thinking about how fast the player moves around the map, how fast in-game time passes, all of these sorts of things, and I think an interest rate of around 1-1.5% per month for home currency will be appropriate; it’s obviously high (on a level we could only dream of in the real world under normal circumstances!) but there will be many demands on the player’s expenses, and banks in the URR world are local, not global (so you can only get your cash out in the right nation), and it will be a strategic choice to sacrifice the immediate use of your money for later income further down the line. This will obviously be something to playtest, but for now I’m adding the ability to deposit money, of any currency, and a 1-1.5% interest rate monthly for the home currency (and around a 0.5% interest rate for non-native currencies) in banks. All of this should – in time – add another nice strategic layer to the game world and the player’s actions, purchases, movements, and so forth. As such, I’ve now built the interface here for the player to both deposit and withdraw coins in various volumes, and to cycle through coins. You’ll also notice on the left-hand side of the below screenshot that each bank has a procedurally generated “special offer” which takes the form of “Do X to get Y” – one example is shown below. These will have quite significant benefits (this one, for example, would allow the player meeting the condition to buy any five items in that city’s shops!) and so I’m hoping these will also make interesting strategic considerations as well.

Holy Books and Ingots

Despite all the time and effort I put into working on the generation of holy books for religions as part of 0.9, I realise now that they (generally) don’t actually spawn at present! It is possible for a holy book to spawn in a “general store” but the odds are extremely low, given that anything can spawn in those stores and books are only one category, and then even within “books” there are many categories of which holy books are only one. I’ve therefore taken it upon myself to get holy books spawning now in religious buildings, where they appear on tables and sometimes appear having been left on chairs by previous worshippers. In 0.10, therefore, a few holy books will now appear in their appropriate religious buildings, which the player will be able to look at. In the future, of course, when systems for handling stealing and reputation are implemented, you might be able to grab them with reckless abandon, but now they are just there to look at. This is also the case for ingots, where I coded the graphics and the item information for them but never actually got around to putting them in the bank vaults in banks, mints, etc. They can therefore now be found in both – again, they cannot be picked up yet, but they just give a little more detail, and soon you’ll be able to do a bit more with them than you can right now. Holy books and ingots can therefore now both be found in their sensible in-game locations, and the effort I put in to generating their images is no longer going to waste!

Relic generation

In the existing version relics are hidden under-the-hood and never really appear, even though you can see reliquaries in religious buildings. The current relic generator is very generic and although it can produce a huge number, they tend to be of a few standard sorts, e.g. a bone of some description, a weapon of some description, and so on. Given that in a future version relics will be generated as in-game items that might be important for solving clues (or might just be worth a great deal of money, of course, or might be worth something else if given to the right person…) I decided to go back and just take a couple of hours to update the generator. There are a number of religion “archetypes” in the game that at least partly determine some of the traits of the religion and what its altars look like, and I’ve come up with over twenty different relic archetypes, such that now every religion will have a unique category / “type” of relic. For example, one religion’s relics might all be golden statues of animals; another religion’s relics might, indeed, all be bones of ancient saints; another religion’s relics might be mysterious metal cube etched with eldritch designs; another religion’s relics might be sacred feathers from ancient birds; or whatever. The game therefore now assigns a relic type to every religion, and generates a bunch of relics for that religion to have – one per normal religious building, one per cathedral, and a number that are perhaps lost, or buried, or in private hands, etc. This doesn’t do a great deal right now, but is setting things up nicely for later.

Building memory

One of the problems with URR has always been speed. I don’t claim to be the most technically skilled programmer on the planet, but I have been continually improving the game’s speed as much as I can. A significant improvement took place in 0.9 where I upgraded the rendering engine for the game’s world (particularly the larger outdoor areas rather than the smaller indoor areas) to the point where it was around 40-50% faster than it had previously been. I’m working on further upgrades of this technical sort for the future, mark my words, but I also want to speed up the player’s ability to navigate the world. One place where this has long stood out to me is in getting back to buildings; when you enter a district or a town you have already visited, you always start at the edge of that map grid and have to walk, again, into the area in order to find the shop or tavern or whatever it might be. Well: no more! The game now keeps track of every structure you’ve seen in a map grid, and from then on, whenever you return to that grid, the game now lists all the structures you know, and you can so straight there instead of having to walk the whole way through the grid again! After some playing with this it is clear that this is frankly a huge time-saver and really makes the game feel far faster to navigate and get around. I intend to later add the ability to add your own “checkpoints” for this system – e.g. if you know there’s something important hidden in a particular house in a particular district, you can put in a checkpoint outside that house, and then later when you return to that map grid, the checkpoint will be another option you can go straight to instead of walking back through it to get there. For now, though, I’m really happy with this addition, and it really speeds things up an astonishing amount, and streamlines the player getting things done to a huge degree. Without exaggerating I’d say it speeds up the time going from a bank to a shop by around 90% (assuming you already have both the locations), if not more – this is a huge improvement.

For these more informal areas, the game now identifies particular areas and ways of facing that would be good to “start” at a park, for instance – maybe on the right-hand side, facing left, and looking over a bridge – and then when you fast travel to a park, a memorial, or other comparatively amorphous outdoor areas, the game looks through these saved starting point, picks one, and puts the player there.

This has actually been the main thing I’ve been working on in the last couple of weeks since the game needs to be able to handle all kinds of buildings, in all kinds of areas, and to place you in logical locations for these buildings, and to accurately deduce how many steps should be iterated as you fast travel to them, etc etc – but it’s now done, and my goodness, it speeds the game up. This is a really fantastic addition in terms of what people these days like to call “quality of life” in game design, and I’m so glad to finally get it in there.

Bug fixes / polishes / etc

- Resolved a problem where buying some kinds of rifle balls / pistol balls would lead to a crash because the game couldn’t figure out what to call them.
- Noticed that weapon prices were not being appropriately modified based on their quality level (low/medium/high) and made it so that they will be.
- Fixed a crash bug with a certain (rare) class of book being unable to figure out what book cover it should be showing on screen.
- Added metaquestions for “What do you think of [plant]?” and “What do you think of [animal]?”, which also appropriately populate themselves with responses based on what the player knows about.
- Going from your inventory into a specific level of your inventory (e.g. “weapons” or “maps” or whatever) now correctly darkens the background inventory image.
- Fixed yet another problem with mines in the encyclopedia crashing the game sometimes – this should really, really, be resolved now.
- Using the keypad’s ‘5’ instead of ‘Enter’ no long causes a crash on the world map (!!!).
- Using the keypad’s ‘5’ now works fine for going up and down stairs, just like ‘Enter’ does (alongside the usual ‘<‘ and ‘>’, of course).
- Fixed an issue with some types of history books not correctly listing the name of the thing they are recording the history of, but merely the type of thing, so one got “Arena: A History” instead of “Redtooth Arena: A History”, or whatever it might be. These books now have the right titles.
- Fixed a far less common issue equivalent to the one above but for prisons, rather than arenas.

Next?

One of the problems with creating this kind of world is always the gaps. One creates a world map and thinks “but where are all the settlements?”; one creates settlements and thinks “where are all the people?”; one creates people and thinks “what can I actually do with them?”; and so on. This has always been a struggle for me psychologically as well, always feeling like new additions only suggest future additions, instead than standing on their own two feet. With that said, though, with this 0.10 release I’m finding a lot of satisfaction in going back and closing a lot of the “gaps” in the game world. The world is now already looking more polished, more complete, with fewer strange “gaps” in its nature, and with far more ease of navigating, exploring, seeing things, and just generally getting stuff done.

As such, for the next week or two I’ll be working on more of these improvements; more closing of the gaps; more polishes and improvements and optimisations; and generally just continuing to polish and more fully flesh-out what’s already there. Expect another update, all being well, hopefully some time in the middle of November!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3235 on: December 04, 2022, 11:55:07 pm »

Welcome back everyone!

Lots of new developments again, so let’s take a look:

Buying supplies

When you enter or leave cities you can now stock up on supplies. These take four forms – canteens, food, water, and equipment. Canteens, food ration bags and equipment have generated images while water is a slightly more abstract image. In the case of canteens, these are empty containers that can be filled up with any liquid, and the player starts off with a canteen filled with ten units of water (which allows for ten days spent in desert). The images are of course generated with around a million or so permutations I believe – so hopefully you’ll never see the same canteen, as they are handmade after all! – and are pretty expensive items, but they have a lot of value for exploration so I think that’s justified (again, as more and more gameplay elements come in through 0.10 and 0.11, all of this will need balancing later on). Food is the only one that is needed in the everyday for moving around outside of settlements (except when on ships) and is consumed at a rate of one unit a day, and you buy food in blocks of ten; food, like water and so forth, is not needed when you’re in settlements, but only when you’re out in the wild. The image used here is an alteration of the graphics used for the gunpowder bags, and I’m sure I’ll find some more value for the “bag” image archetype further down the line. Water is bought separately and can be used to fill up canteens, and is again fairly cheap, and required when exploring desert in order to avoid dehydration and sunstroke (see hopefully my next update for info on these sorts of ailments etc!). Finally, equipment is the equivalent of water but for polar and mountainous regions, consumed at a rate of one per day, otherwise frostbite and hypothermia will be lurking just around the corner. I don’t see many games that model interesting conditions and illnesses and I think these will make for interesting strategic considerations (with some light alterations from how these work in real life), but that’s all to come later. Finally, as part of this the player now also starts the game with a supply of food, and a canteen filled with water, but not with any equipment nor any additional canteens.

Location discovery

As part of what I discussed last time – building-specific fast travel – I have also made changes to how locations are recorded. In 0.9 simply setting foot into a map tile would immediately tell you (on the world map) what was in it, i.e. entering a market tile and then going into your world map would tell you precisely what shops were on that tile, even if you (the player character) had not yet actually seen them. This worked fine for a while as a basis but given the new stuff I’ve implemented above about allowing you to fast-travel to specific buildings within a map grid, it seemed to make sense to also go back and make this fine rather more finely-grained than it is at present. To do this there is now a system in place that, while rendering an outdoor area, takes note of any doors you happen to see and then looks over those doors to see whether any of them are noteworthy doors (i.e. they don’t just belong to normal homes, for example). If the game finds a noteworthy door within your line of sight on a particular turn, it then checks to see what that is a door to (e.g. a shop, a cathedral, whatever) and then checks whether or not that building has already been stored in the player’s knowledge of building. If it has then it does nothing, but if it hasn’t, then the game adds it in and posts a little message in the text log below along the lines of “You have discovered a new X”, after which you will then be able to fast-travel back there next time you are on that map tile. URR therefore now keeps track of every important structure you find, and when coupled with the above, this makes exploration – and moving back and forth – almost ludicrously faster than it once was.

Image improvements

I’ve improved a couple of the old generated graphics in the game that just weren’t up to the current standard. Firstly, archery targets are now correctly shaded, which brings them a little more “up to date” with the quality of the other procedural graphics in the game; I’ve also optimised the image code here to make them generate / draw faster, as they were painfully slow. These are an extremely rare thing to see in the game – though now that I’ve put in the time to improve them like this, I am certainly incentivized now to make them appear in a few more places! – but they no longer stand out as a very poor graphic. Similarly, fountains have also now been significantly enhanced in order to bring them in line with the quality of the generated images in the game. These are rather more common so I think this was far more time well-spent, as the player (currently) starts in an upper-class housing district full of fountains, and many of the most interesting areas of cities and the like have fountains. These were not hugely time-consuming things, but I’m glad to have them done; readers will remember that in the 0.9 release I redid the graphics for the world generation because the original graphics were very outdated compared to the quality of visuals I’m making now, and it didn’t really do for the first thing the player sees to be something so rubbish! I’m not sure whether these meet my quality standards for the long-term, but for now updating these just adds a little bit of polish and smooths off a rough corner remaining from the game’s much earlier days.

Flavour messages

As further part of making navigation of the in-game world both easier and more interesting, I’ve taken a leaf from the book of games like NetHack and introduced messages that appear when you enter a new area. Naturally in NetHack (and other games that do similar things, like Spelunky and Noita) the idea is partly to warn the player in advance of something coming up in that area or acknowledge an unusual procedural generation choice, whereas here it is partly about flavour, but also partly about letting the player know that a particular thing might be present in this area which they might want to take note of. At the moment this takes two forms. Firstly, an “introductory” message will now always appear when you enter a district of a city, a town, a fortress, a settlement, and soon on things like mines, universities (see below), etc. This will give you some flavour and will also point you towards important things. For example, upon entering a lower class district in a city, it might say – depending on the cultures / policies of the area – something like…

“You enter the lower class housing district. As you watch the people in this area, you see items and goods often being traded from hand to hand. In the distance to the north-west you see a tall building with barred windows.” (A “barter” nation, and a prison with its location identified)

“You enter the lower class housing district. A call to prayer is being sung out from the north-east, and to the south you hear the roar of a crowd.” (A location hint for a religious building, and a location hint for an arena)

“You enter the low class housing district. You hear people talking about the outside world, and notice that their comments doesn’t quite match up with your ideas of lands beyond this one.” (An “isolationist” nation)

…and so on. By my calculations there are many hundreds of thousands of these possible messages across different locations with different sets of combinations present, and just from doing my own playtesting around the world these add a real lot of texture and feel to the world, and give a sense of greater weight and consequence to each particular area the player might go into. When coupled with the discovery messages mentioned above, the message log in URR is now far more full and far more active, and has things constantly being told to the player rather than just an endless sequence of “it is a new day!”, which can seem a little bit silly sometimes. I think these are a really important addition for, again, speeding things up, helping the player have a sense of where they might want to go in that area, and also deepening this sense of the world being a little more alive and a little more active as you walk around it.

The other sort is what I’m calling “ambient” messages show up every x turns since the last message has showed up, and take a similar form to the above messages, giving you information but on a much smaller scale. So, for instance, in a city centre district you might see messages like…

“You hear nearby an argument between some clerks about taxation for the outer areas of the empire.”

“You see in the distance an individual wearing fine clothes, who seems to be an emissary of some other land.”

“You notice a fine ring on a local passerby, marking them out as a person of high rank.”

…and so on. These again depend on the specific of each nation but are far less general than the first kind and don’t point to anything specific, but give a lot more life to each area. I’ve written a large number of these, including allowing them to vary and change depending on the specific place and context, and there’s also code in place to make sure that they don’t repeat too soon. Both of these systems are relatively small additions, but I’m actually really happy with how they’ve come together, and they give a heck of a lot more life to the world! Also, in the case of these ambient messages, the game keeps track of which ones have been recently used and doesn’t recycle until a large number have been gone through; it also slightly randomly generates the precise wording of each one in order to boost variation; and the time between these messages gets longer the more time the player spends in an area, in order to make the full selection last longer and because a player spending quite a while in one map area is probably working on something specific, rather than necessarily exploring. I think these are another really nice addition, and while the database of these isn’t finished as I write these – though there’s already hundreds! – I’m really happy with how these have worked out so far.

(A large number are shown in these testing screenshots, but in practice, they are far rarer, and have more variation in phrasing!)

Starting Relic Generation

One of the objectives for 0.11 will be generating religious relics. These will be very important items, having a lot of value (obviously) to particular religions, but also a lot of trade value if you can find the right people to sell to, a lot of potential for religions to become very pleased with you if you are able to return a relic that perhaps is being sold in a distant land, and relics will also sometimes be the rewards that one can get for figuring out the location being referred to in a treasure map. I’m really keen for these all to be very interesting, striking, distinctive items, that really get the player’s attention and signal clearly that this is something of high importance. As such, I have begun laying out the basic foundations for generating the images of the relics. As mentioned previously there are now several dozen different archetypes for religious relics, some tethered to particular archetypes of deity or religion (e.g. a “Lovecraftian” relic or a “Demonic” religion) while others can appear for any religion type, or most of them. I have posted a bit about how the image generation process in URR works before – both in the sense of “how do I design them?” and the sense of “how does it work under the hood?”, and I’ve just been making a little bit of progress beginning to sketch out some very basic initial text grids. Even without the slightest degree of colour or shading or anything else, some of these initial drafts are already giving a sense of how interesting and colour and distinctive some of these items are going to be, and I’m really happy with this initial groundwork I’ve been laying now for next year.

University planning

I’ve made a major decision here for the game – given that the game is / is going to be about information, discovery, exploration, reading, cryptic puzzles, etc, I’m not sure any more how much sense it makes for the player to begin the game in an upper-class district, or to begin the game in any way as part of a noble house. I’ve also been thinking for a while about adding in “university” areas to the game, similar to “towns” or “fortresses” or “mines” and so forth, and the more I think about it, the more I like this idea. I think starting the player off in a university would be a very novel opening; would enable me to develop a very cool and interesting little opening cutscene (which I will say no more about until I start working on it); and would give the player a very clear framing about what sorts of thing this game is about. It would also be a logical way to get the player started on the main quest and to give them a few initial items – maybe a book or two, a note or two, a cryptic item or two – to help them out on the start of their journey.

My current thinking right now is that universities will contain classrooms, halls, student accommodations, libraries (maybe you can pay to access any book there, but it costs more than finding the book in the wild and buying it? Would be strange in the real world but makes more sense in gameplay terms!), study rooms, maybe a museum of some noteworthy items (the University of Sydney, where I’m based IRL, has a number of these), and I think an observatory will be a cool addition as well (but I won’t say any more about that just yet). They will also vary, of course, across nations depending on their policies. For example, the university in a nation with “populist” politics is probably going to be quite limited (no intended commentary on the real world inverse relationship between educational attainment and voting for populist candidates should be inferred) whereas a university in a nation whose culture is far more focused on intellectual and cultural attainment will likely have a far larger university. Nevertheless, all nations will spawn with one university – for the player to start in – while I might perhaps have more intellectually inclined nations to have an extra university or two elsewhere in their territories. Like towns and mines and the like, these structures will be outside of cities and will be found somewhere in that nation’s territory (though I’m going to set them to generate near to the city to encourage new players to head into the capital city of that nation first when they depart the university starting location).

Anyway – at present I’m not sure whether this will be something for this 0.10 release, or for 0.11, but I’ve begun sketching out the initial code required to generate these areas, populate them with people, etc etc, and I’m really keen on this rather more novel start than what we currently had. More on this in the near future, I am sure!

Bug fixes / tweaks / etc

- Resolved a long-standing bug that somehow neither I nor any player had noticed for years (!) in which, rarely, the last letter in a sentence in a multi-line message would be chopped off and not displayed in the message window. In fairness URR has until now had very few multi-line messages, but I still can’t quite believe how long this one survived for!
- Fixed a bug with animal-archetype religious altars barely having any colour distinction between the background and the foreground of the altar and the design on it – it was very hard to make out the image, but is now much clearer.
- Given that I’m actually looking to do a big overhaul of the dialogue system to make it far more fluid and “human”, I’ve temporarily removed the variable questions (“What do you think of [X]?”) with the intention of coming back to them in 2023. - - The initial work on the questions and the replies however will still be useful – it just won’t be in this release!
- Fixed an issue with certain items very rarely not possessing the properties required to draw them correctly when in the player’s inventory, but only if they were added in a very specific manner.
- Dealt with a bug that very very rarely caused world generation to crash when it was trying to figure out embassies in city centres for certain kinds of civilizations (or rather, civilizations in certain contexts).
- Put in a few more optimizations and improvements to the systems that draw the terrain around the player when the player moves; I am keen to really improve this further in the future, but another little set of small refinements here again supports the objective of making the whole game a bit faster, a bit smoother, and a bit easier to navigate.

What next?

I’ve decided to shift releases to January instead of December, because releasing between the 25th of Dec and the 1st of Jan doesn’t really get much visibility because people are, generally, busy during that time. I’m therefore going to try a model of instead releasing “some time in January” the default going forward, and we’ll see how that goes. My next objective is to working on food / water / equipment consumption out in the wild, and start programming in some dreadful maladies to befall the player should they venture too far beyond their means; I’ll also in the next few weeks be working on bug-testing and refining these above systems and the ones from the previous updates, and working to clear out more bugs and polishes on my larger list of these as well. Next update in a couple of weeks, everyone!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: December 06, 2022, 08:11:17 am »

I think I saw this update on the blog but extra thoughts:

I think the new fountain style is a real improvement, but even just the shading on the arrow butt has a great deal of value.

Being a university student with just enough money/supplies to begin definitely makes more sense than being the scion of a noble house! I think that's an aspect that URR's sorely needed for "adventure initiation" until now.

The (Exciting-sounding) religious artifact recovery concepts sound amazing. Something about the idea of being contacted by a priest who tells you that his religion's sacred icon is being auctioned in a rival city in thirty days just strikes me as such a "call to adventure" style thing, you know? It could even be tied with the religious artifacts thing, with them always taking other religion's artifacts off your hands, but offering less money than a private sale and offending said religion more in return. The line between archaeology and tomb-robbing was always a thin one classically...

Thanks for another great update Dr Johnson
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3237 on: December 07, 2022, 08:27:57 pm »

I think I saw this update on the blog but extra thoughts:

I think the new fountain style is a real improvement, but even just the shading on the arrow butt has a great deal of value.

Being a university student with just enough money/supplies to begin definitely makes more sense than being the scion of a noble house! I think that's an aspect that URR's sorely needed for "adventure initiation" until now.

The (Exciting-sounding) religious artifact recovery concepts sound amazing. Something about the idea of being contacted by a priest who tells you that his religion's sacred icon is being auctioned in a rival city in thirty days just strikes me as such a "call to adventure" style thing, you know? It could even be tied with the religious artifacts thing, with them always taking other religion's artifacts off your hands, but offering less money than a private sale and offending said religion more in return. The line between archaeology and tomb-robbing was always a thin one classically...

Thanks for another great update Dr Johnson

Thanks Dorsi!

sorely needed for "adventure initiation" until now. - well said! This is something that's so important in the next couple of releases as I build up to 1.0.

Something about the idea of being contacted by a priest who tells you that his religion's sacred icon is being auctioned in a rival city in thirty days just strikes me as such a "call to adventure" style thing, you know? - yes! Some relics will show up in churches, but others might be found as part of treasure, some might be in private hands, etc. This more broadly is going to require a bit of code for "unique items" which don't currently exist yet, such as keeping track of their locations, enabling people to talk about them and discuss them, enabling them to (later) be mentioned in books that give you hints to their locations, etc...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3238 on: December 17, 2022, 08:02:17 am »

Lots more has been coded in the past couple of weeks, so let’s get to it!

Supply consumption and use

I have now implemented an initial working draft of supply consumption use as you walk around the game world. So first off, here I am after a few days of walking around in a city (exactly 24 hours / one day increments each time you change map tile, whereas it’s in moving around on a map tile that moves time forward on a minute-by-minute level) and you’ll see that there are no messages in the message window talking about the fact I’m consuming food, and the counters for my three types of supplies in the sidebar are greyed out. Whenever you are in any kind of settlement – city, fortress, town, monastery, even a farm or a mine or (later) a university, you will not require supplies, the rationale here being that you’re able to get food and water in the place you’re staying.

However, I’ve now moved out of this city and two immediately important things are happening. Firstly I am using one ration of food per day as I move around (see the message log on this), and also the relevant part of the sidebar is now lit up to emphasise that these supply considerations matter because the player has now journeyed outside a settlement of some sort.

Later I find my way to a town, and although I’m not exploring it in foot, entering it is enough that my next movement will not cost any food (or water or equipment were I in desert, or polar / mountainous, terrain) because I’m in a settlement.

I then leave again and keep exploring, and two important things happen here. I find a desert, and roughly as I enter the desert, I use up my final food ration and the game gives me a warning to let me know that I’ve used up all my food supplies, and that unless I eat soon I’ll be in danger of two illnesses. A lack of food, a lack of water, and a lack of equipment, now all come with two potential dangers. A lack of food can bring on malnutrition (weakening the player) or starvation (potentially fatal); a lack of water in the desert can bring on dehydration (weakening the player) or heat exhaustion (potentially fatal); and a lack of equipment in polar or mountainous regions can bring on frostbite (weakening the player) or hypothermia (potentially fatal). I’m still working out the exact gameplay impacts of each of these – while also keeping in mind that combat will be coming soon and so I need to think about some of these in terms of effects to the player character’s body, abilities, etc – but this message is the warning that the first of these might be on its way before too long.

A few days later – note again that the messages are telling us we’re using a water ration with each step we take in the desert – we also run out of water, and are now in danger of both malnutrition and dehydration. Oh dear!

The same is also true for your use of equipment in mountainous or polar terrain:

There are still a few minor bugs I need to iron out here involving some potentially unusual map movements always correctly consuming supplies, and making sure that the sidebar is always correctly grey / not-grey depending on where the player is, but this is all coming along nicely.

General messages finished

Next, I’ve now finished the general messages that can appear when you’re just wandering around. This had several parts. Firstly there were a number of message contexts that I hadn’t finished writing out when I posted the last update, particularly potential messages for if you’re out in the wilderness (i.e. you are not in a settlement of any kind) and also potential messages for some of the more obscure cultural possibilities and combinations within a given civilization. Secondly I needed to implement a system to make the initial words in each one actually vary, and so rather than them all saying “You hear people” or “You hear someone” you will see in the screenshots below way more variation here in how the messages are actually framed and presented by the player. Thirdly, I needed to add a system that keeps track of how long it has been since you entered an area, and how long it has been since you’ve seen an ambient message, and to have that tick up over time as you’re going around and doing whatever you’re doing in a given area. This took a little while but wasn’t too difficult, and the game now works hard not to repeat these messages and also not to swamp you with them. Fourthly and lastly, and related to the last bit of the above, there is also now a system to prevent the same message from appearing twice even if the exact wording would be slightly different, so you can’t get “You hear a distant argument” and “You find yourself overhearing a distant argument” in immediate succession. I’m very happy with how these are working, and they definitely bring some nice extra life to the game world!