Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585592 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum (0.9 released Dec 31 2021!)
« Reply #3255 on: February 06, 2023, 12:21:45 am »

Exciting! The adventure finally begins

Yes!!

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: February 07, 2023, 05:17:19 pm »

Exciting! The adventure finally begins

Yes!!

Exciting indeed. I keep nagging you on your blog about this, but I might as well here too ;D

Any love for treasure maps, or are any of these quests you mentioned in your previous post implemented in any sort? Not as a critique but just to try to apprehend the state of things. I've tried just exploring the world a bit but it's hard for me to get engrained without some sort of "goal" to work towards, mechanically, anyways.

Either way it looks almost like a whole new game compared to 0.9 with the survival stuff, and 0.9 was a whole new game compared to 0.8 with trading and what not, so from a game design standpoint being able to drop updates like you are that make each iteration of your game feel completely different is pretty exciting and fascinating.

Is 0.11 going to be mostly books or will we see more "quest" elements and such? Great work as always :)
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3257 on: February 12, 2023, 09:42:07 am »

Exciting indeed. I keep nagging you on your blog about this, but I might as well here too ;D

Any love for treasure maps, or are any of these quests you mentioned in your previous post implemented in any sort? Not as a critique but just to try to apprehend the state of things. I've tried just exploring the world a bit but it's hard for me to get engrained without some sort of "goal" to work towards, mechanically, anyways.

Either way it looks almost like a whole new game compared to 0.9 with the survival stuff, and 0.9 was a whole new game compared to 0.8 with trading and what not, so from a game design standpoint being able to drop updates like you are that make each iteration of your game feel completely different is pretty exciting and fascinating.

Is 0.11 going to be mostly books or will we see more "quest" elements and such? Great work as always :)

Thanks so much for this comment Vivalas! I *really* do appreciate it (and the kind words!). 0.11 is going to be a number of things, but WILL have an early draft of the central quest - I'm going to get the player starting off with a treasure map, and have something buried in the location the map points to. Later on I intend treasure maps being only one of many mysteries / puzzles, but it's the one I'm closest to implementing so I think giving the player access to treasure maps would be a really great way to engage people a bit more in 0.11 :).

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3258 on: February 13, 2023, 07:01:03 am »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: February 15, 2023, 04:16:39 pm »

Exciting! I'll have to give it a good go this weekend.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3260 on: February 18, 2023, 09:33:05 am »

Exciting! I'll have to give it a good go this weekend.

Amazing, thanks Dorsi!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3261 on: February 26, 2023, 10:48:14 pm »

Ultima Ratio Regum 0.11 Update #1 is live! It's huge, so you can read it here:

https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2023/02/25/ultima-ratio-regum-0-11-update-1/

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: February 27, 2023, 01:23:12 am »

I'll say, your artwork is outstanding.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3263 on: February 28, 2023, 07:33:46 pm »

I'll say, your artwork is outstanding.

Thank you Duuvian! I'm glad you like it :)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: February 28, 2023, 07:56:46 pm »

awesome to see this project still chugging along. I recall how you had written academic-level essays on game design, IIRC something about virtual worlds and simulation? anyways have you had time to write anything else in recent years?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #3265 on: March 01, 2023, 07:58:22 pm »

awesome to see this project still chugging along. I recall how you had written academic-level essays on game design, IIRC something about virtual worlds and simulation? anyways have you had time to write anything else in recent years?

Thank you Salmeuk! Well, in my day job as an academic I've published a hell of a lot in the last five or so years, but not very much on game design - my focus is far more game players / game workers (e.g. Twitch streamers). That said though I'm working on a book chapter about roguelites at the moment as a little side project for this collection - https://roguelitebook.wordpress.com/ - and once I've finished the full book I'm currently writing about Twitch it would be really nice to re-diversify my academic output a little bit. So: we'll see! :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Just noticed the intro post for this thread is, UH, about 8 years out of date, so thought I should update it...!

In the meantime though I'm pleased to say another update is on its way probably next week :). Really cracking along with 0.11.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Loving the rise of real interaction in the game!

The breaking-open system is fascinating, do you think there'll eventually be an equivalent for world objects like breaking open altars or tearing down tapestries to reveal secrets?

Also, will NPCs ever have a reaction to witnessing item destruction?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Loving the rise of real interaction in the game!

The breaking-open system is fascinating, do you think there'll eventually be an equivalent for world objects like breaking open altars or tearing down tapestries to reveal secrets?

Also, will NPCs ever have a reaction to witnessing item destruction?

Thanks Dorsi! 100% re: destroying objects as well (though of course with consequences, if you march into a religious building and just start pickaxe-ing down their altar...) and reaction to item destruction is really interesting. I confess I hadn't thought of that. I think that's a great addition - it seems to me the normal reaction would be confusion, with rare very strong reactions (e.g. you destroy a book in front of an NPC who likes that kind of book, or you destroy a relic in front of someone belonging to that religion, etc)?
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 221