Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 585535 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

Every time I check on this game the ASCII gets more beautiful...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Every time I check on this game the ASCII gets more beautiful...

Aw, thank you friend! I really do appreciate it. I've got a lot more to show off soon where that came from :)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mostly commenting on here so I remember to check back on this fascinating project.

I tried the game for the first time ever and had a great time stumbling through a city, farm and a graveyard. I was unsuccessful at trading a book to the neighboring civilization and after marching across a desert into a third city, I heard the sounds of money being counted, but the game repeatedly saved and quit as I tried to walk through the bank doors. But I'm not deterred by that, it's kind of the nature of the beast with these type of games that some things get generated that don't sit well with the game.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 12:40:29 pm by LASD »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Mostly commenting on here so I remember to check back on this fascinating project.

I tried the game for the first time ever and had a great time stumbling through a city, farm and a graveyard. I was unsuccessful at trading a book to the neighboring civilization and after marching across a desert into a third city, I heard the sounds of money being counted, but the game repeatedly saved and quit as I tried to walk through the bank doors. But I'm not deterred by that, it's kind of the nature of the beast with these type of games that some things get generated that don't sit well with the game.

Hey LASD, thank you so much for this comment! I really appreciate the feedback a heck of a lot. Re: the crash, damn, that's frustrating. Is there any way it produced an error log? And can you confirm - were you outside the bank and going in, and it crashed? Do you remember whether you were going into a bank or a mint? (Banks would be in middle-class housing districts, mints in city centres).

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Saw this blog post and came to say that not only are the artefacts and containers looking great, but looking at how the systems are functioning under the hood is also always fascinating!

Thanks very much for the update!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Saw this blog post and came to say that not only are the artefacts and containers looking great, but looking at how the systems are functioning under the hood is also always fascinating!

Thanks very much for the update!

Thanks Dorsi! As ever I *really* do appreciate the feedback :).

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

I know it's only a loading screen, but my GOODNESS, I like how this looks:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile

Fancy fancy! Is the symbol graffiti there generated as well? Might be interesting if it means something in the world... :p
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh ! I followed you yearrsssssss ago, but i thought you stopped. Very happy to see you are back in the project and well, too !

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Fancy fancy! Is the symbol graffiti there generated as well? Might be interesting if it means something in the world... :p

Thank you! Yep, the loading screen now has a bunch of possible symbols and colours it can choose from (all the loading screens have some light PCG aspects, so wanted to get them in here as well). As for in-game, well, one of the unique things that a civilization might have will be these sorts of symbols all over the place on the walls of their buildings, and those symbols may, indeed, be important...

Oh ! I followed you yearrsssssss ago, but i thought you stopped. Very happy to see you are back in the project and well, too !

Thanks Inarius, welcome back into the fold! 0.11 is finally going to have a win condition, so these are exciting times :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

URR's new crowns are sure looking amazing! I imagine it wont be all that long before you can blunder into a room full of nobles and look over at one to suddenly realise he's wearing a crown and isn't pleased to be interrupted haha
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

URR's new crowns are sure looking amazing! I imagine it wont be all that long before you can blunder into a room full of nobles and look over at one to suddenly realise he's wearing a crown and isn't pleased to be interrupted haha

Thanks Dorsi! And yes, yes indeed...  8)
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221