Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2nd/3rd level decorations  (Read 2252 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2nd/3rd level decorations
« on: August 12, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »

Is there any way to change the way these look? They're rather confusing and make it hard to see the items inside. Couldn't we just have, say, a grey title with a dark grey plus inside for floors? Similarily concerning the walls and their 3rd level decorations. Need a less confusing alternative.

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd/3rd level decorations
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 02:59:00 pm »

I agree, it can be very confusing, the first time I made a floor detailed to the max it had a picture of a dwarf, I sat there for 5 mins trying to work out how to select the damm thing lol.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »

I could add some display options to the ESC screen and init file, say.

In fact, poking around referring forums, there are various references to things like busy graphics, over-used symbols and so on.  I'm all for making accomodations, but people have to speak up.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ghor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 03:49:00 pm »

Personally, I don't mind the graphics at all. It takes a while to get used to, maybe, but I think everything makes sense.

I suspect that a majority of the people saying the graphics are busy/ugly are actually judging the screenshots. And I would agree, if you only look at still pictures without knowing anything about the game, it will look... daunting. But when you actually play the game, and see it in motion (the blinking helps a lot, for instance) I think it looks just right.

Having said that, I agree with the starter of this thread, if you fill an entire room with the highest level decoration, it looks very cluttered, but a few, well chosen tiles here and there look great, so... maybe this is only a good thing?

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »

would it be possible to just use different background colours to show different levels of detailing? well.. at least for tiles anyway. walls aren't too bad

not to sure how it'll work with blood splatters though

do things move faster over smooth tiles rather than bog standard tiles?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 05:42:00 pm »

There aren't very many terrain speed effects right now.  We have that other thread on detailing, I think an option or whatever it was will work out.

DakaSha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 07:22:00 pm »

i have to agree.. the second time a room is detailed it looks kind of messed up. i personally think it would be better to just use 1 symbol for the walls and floors. i like the "gamma" symbol for instance. better would be if you could select how you want to detail it... dont know if thats possible though the way the interface is set up

also detailing the wall makes pillars.. but that only looks nice if you actually carve out the room in a way that makes sense for pillars

is it possible to make a detailed wall a "detailed wall" except if it is surrounded by either 3 or 4 floors in which case it would become a pillar?

just an idea

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 07:31:00 pm »

It doesn't do that already?  They should be "O" pillars, at least until you put art on them.  Or was that what you were talking about?

DakaSha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 07:56:00 pm »

do the walls look like they do in adventure mode in the dwarven halls then? (after a single detailing with only 1 or 2 floors adjecent?)

hmm sorry.. could have sworn my first detailing was on a normal wall and that it became a pillar but i could have been mistaken. my bad  ;)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 07:59:00 pm »

It's all the same code, so it should be the same, but doors change it, as well as the various possible bugs.

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 07:59:00 pm »

Actually, usually when they start, or when there is only 1 smoothed (detailed once) wall, it shows the smoothed pillar symbol instead of a smoothed wall symbol, just smooth the walls next to it and it should morph back into a wall instead of a pillar.

Btw, tiles between 2 doors also seem to autosmooth themself, noticed this when there was:
XD
D
with x being a wall, and D being doors, the X turned smooth automatically. Not sure if this applies on:
DXD
as well.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 08:02:00 pm »

Yeah, this corner door thing actually has some erratic behavior, and is a req.  Shouldn't be lethal though.

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 08:03:00 pm »

I dislike the PAINTings on the walls. So, I try to avoid maxing out the decorating. Just one lil brush to make it look all nice and fortlike is what works for me.

It makes perfect corners... then you try to paint up the walls and are left with odd corners and a wall that blends in with the floor... o.O

I can live with the floor being all fancy painted.. but the first time I did it~ it came out a few trees & some random spot a dwarf.. I too stared at it wondering:

Is that a dead dwarf? What the hell happen... where's the blood?

oof

Empirus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 08:55:00 pm »

Well, I'm new here and still having fortresses failing for various reasons quite often  :(, so I've only gotten to see the first level of detailing on floor tiles.  My personal recommendation is that smoothed floor shouldn't have any image on it whatsoever.  After all, I expect smoothed floors to be uniform and look flat, not be pocked with plus-signs.  :roll:   As for higher level decorations, I just haven't gotten there yet.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 09:42:00 pm »

Plus means better!  And is suggestive of orderly lines!  That are...  smooth!
Pages: [1] 2