Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Future Development  (Read 3484 times)

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
Re: Future Development
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 10:16:50 am »

I appear to be in a minority here, but I wouldn't have a problem with paying money to see certain features developed.
In fact, I'd be quite happy to donate money based on the work you've already done. Given the countless hours of entertainment I've gotten out of LCS, I feel you've certainly earned it.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 05:19:57 pm »

Jonathan, perhaps you should put up a donation link on your website, along with a brief explanation as to your financial situation and how donations will generally further development of your other titles.

I'd even be willing to add the following to my sig (and I imagine I'm not alone):
EJ: Do you want to hear something disturbing?
Dwarf: What?
EJ: Jonathan's gonna die of starvation!
Dwarf: What can I do?
Click [insert website] here.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:23 pm »

This is totally a plug, but while I ponder future endeavors, I just uploaded one of two Flash games I worked on that are coming out soon. Right now it's hosted on Newgrounds, though we're going to have a wider distribution in the next few days. The game is Missilebreak Outvaders, originally designed by Nathan McCoy with additional code and polish by me, and it's an action arcade game that blends elements of Space Invaders, Missile Command, and Breakout. If you check it out, please rate it, and let me know what you thought; it really helps us out. We've already been added to the Newgrounds front page by Tom Fulp, huzzah!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 06:40:57 pm »

Cool!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 12:02:27 am »

The part of the game that really impressed me is the "Slow attack, fast attack" strategy they randomate sometimes.

Also I like playing on Doomsday mode the most.

Though I am unfortunately not a large fan of your game S. Fox. If 5 is average then yours is a 6.

Edit: I think I'll raise it to a 7. Since when I said 6 I was pitting it against all the really good flash games and not the cruddy ones.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:21:55 am by Neonivek »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 01:59:46 pm »

It's not my type of game, but it's really well done.  I gave it a 5 out of 5 (Highest they'd allow me to rate it).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 08:54:41 am »

It's not my type of game, but it's really well done.  I gave it a 5 out of 5 (Highest they'd allow me to rate it).

HEH!

Its alright, not really my game... really Well done I guess

Ohh did I mention beyond PERFECT!?!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »

So maybe my vote is a wee bit biased towards the makers of the game.   ;D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »

The makers are so good they make their games better meerly by being the ones who made it.  :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 09:45:03 pm »

The makers are so good they make their games better meerly by being the ones who made it.  :D

Exactly!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »

Thanks guys! We're on more than 70 websites now, and being played in 125 countries. Pretty sweeeet. I'm excited and mentally focused right now. If you want to support the game, rating it on Kongregate would bless us greatly. I posted a proper discussion thread in "More Games" but I think I should have put it in "Creative Projects" instead, as I suspect it'll get buried in the games forum.

I think I want to pick up and continue Zombie Survival Squad when I get a break from the current flurry of activity; I've been watching the TV show "Walking Dead" and the connection between LCS's Massive Conservative Response and attracting a horde with gunshots is so obvious that I'm surprised it didn't occur to me in months of development. I've decided to keep it simple and make the site visits work like Liberal Crime Squad -- you pick a building to scavenge, and your squad goes in. The mission ends when you safely exit the building. Zombies present are largely unalert, though your presence will awaken them if you aren't very stealthy. Shooting the place up and hanging around to see what happens will eventually summon a horde and turn your escape into a desperate fight for survival. Once you're out of the building, you go home -- there isn't a huge overworld.

The huge open world with many buildings on one map is something that I got drawn into just because the technical capacity exists for it. I was seduced into what was cool and possible and got trapped in a nebulous place where my design didn't feel clear anymore. Basing a zombie game on LCS isn't a good place to start with for that kind of open world map design. Ultimately I had to respect that the game I envisioned wasn't the game that the open world technology was leading me toward, and step back. There's another game out there to be made with a huge map, and it's probably really fun too -- but that will have to be a different project. I'm a little sad to let it go, but I strongly believe it's for the best.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 10:24:50 pm »

I am a little surprised that I was thanked. The internet standards seem to be that anything that isn't at least a 9 is a 0.

Honestly Fox, it sounds almost like you are finding your own projects to be more worthwhile on a personal level then continuing someone elses game.

I mean, I realise at this point LCS might as well be yours... but what keeps you here?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 11:14:49 pm »

Honestly Fox, it sounds almost like you are finding your own projects to be more worthwhile on a personal level then continuing someone elses game.

I mean, I realise at this point LCS might as well be yours... but what keeps you here?

This may help answer your question.

I also do feel that LCS is mine, in a sense... I don't say that as a way of downplaying the importance of Tarn Adams' original design or the many many valuable contributions from others, but in the sense of it being my baby.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 11:20:25 pm »

*checks video, QUICKLY STOPS VIDEO*

That was close. I'll take your word for it.

I don't like seeing people I meet on the internet. It destroys the illusion.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 11:23:16 pm »

Heheh, I'm the opposite. I like having photos of people I interact with regularly so that I remember their humanity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4