Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Future Development  (Read 3465 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Future Development
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 02:49:46 am »

Nice speech, I liked it.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 03:10:47 am »

Nice speech, I liked it.

Thanks. I've been meaning to post it ever since you asked what my commencement speech was about. It turns out that telling people "You and/or your kids are awesome" in colorful but sincere hyperbole, at a ceremony devoted to making those people feel awesome, goes over extremely well.

Edit: By the way, for Neonivek or anyone else who doesn't want to watch the speech, the premise is that I've derived a tremendous amount of inspiration and joy from working on, releasing, and seeing the community response to Liberal Crime Squad, to the point that when I was asked to speak at our graduation ceremony, half of my speech was about how much this process inspired me. I love making games and I love getting positive feedback and suggestions for improvement. LCS has given me the chance to do this for years and it has long been a sort of anchor that grounds the process of making in the real world of player experience and delivering entertainment to actual people, rather than getting completely bogged down by theory and industry insider thinking. My involvement in LCS development has been extremely influential in my choice of career path and invaluable in growing my skills as a game developer. In short, I love this game and I love this community.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:17:54 am by Jonathan S. Fox »

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 04:56:24 pm »

Ever considered creating an add-on that would let you play as the Conservative Crime Squad instead? I have to admit it: I'm politically moderate, and thus enjoy making fun of both sides... :) The change of perspective would allow for even more satire. But it could be a pretty big project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 05:02:42 pm »

Ever considered creating an add-on that would let you play as the Conservative Crime Squad instead? I have to admit it: I'm politically moderate, and thus enjoy making fun of both sides... :) The change of perspective would allow for even more satire. But it could be a pretty big project.

Isn't someone currently working on a possible Conservative Crime Squad?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 05:05:47 pm »

There have been multiple starts to a CSS game, none of which have reached an advanced state yet, as far as I'm aware; the most recent is Servant Corps' thread here, which he's said he'll update when he has progress. I like the idea of it but don't have a strong desire to do it myself.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 06:16:03 am »

Am I the only one who thinks that he looks like a liberal IRL?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 12:43:28 pm »

He looks like one of those you would recruit in the vegan co-op :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 01:22:33 pm »

He looks like one of those you would recruit in the vegan co-op :P

I guess if he lost his hair he would become Conservative.

In fact that is how you tell if someone is Liberal, Neutral, or Conservative in the game. The length of their hair.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 11:34:29 am »

Jonathan posted his life story in LCS terms at one point.  The dude doesn't just look like a hippy, he's fully equipped to lead the revolution.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2011, 04:13:05 pm »

Jonathan posted his life story in LCS terms at one point.  The dude doesn't just look like a hippy, he's fully equipped to lead the revolution.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=45971#msg913303

I modified the life story a little to fit the options, of course, but it's not THAT far off. I was a class clown, my mom's ex-boyfriend lectured me, my parents divorced, I used to have a diary, I played a lot of video games, I spent a lot of time in counseling, I had outcasts willing to follow me to violence, I've volunteered for a liberal candidate (he won), I've saved a thousand bucks before, and I took college classes.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 04:02:08 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=45971#msg913303

I modified the life story a little to fit the options, of course, but it's not THAT far off. I was a class clown, my mom's ex-boyfriend lectured me, my parents divorced, I used to have a diary, I played a lot of video games, I spent a lot of time in counseling, I had outcasts willing to follow me to violence, I've volunteered for a liberal candidate (he won), I've saved a thousand bucks before, and I took college classes.
And you're a stereotypical mellow liberal. I'm at the Juice bar if you need me.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 07:54:03 am »

This is totally a plug, but while I ponder future endeavors, I just uploaded one of two Flash games I worked on that are coming out soon. Right now it's hosted on Newgrounds, though we're going to have a wider distribution in the next few days. The game is Missilebreak Outvaders, originally designed by Nathan McCoy with additional code and polish by me, and it's an action arcade game that blends elements of Space Invaders, Missile Command, and Breakout. If you check it out, please rate it, and let me know what you thought; it really helps us out. We've already been added to the Newgrounds front page by Tom Fulp, huzzah!

Hahahaha, that game is awesome. I'm trying to plug my atari controller into my USB port. I think more force is required.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:23:58 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:47 am »

Awww. I'm one of those useless guys you pick up at apartments.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 05:12:35 pm »

I just wanted to hop in and ask what are your further plans and are you okay with me adding some minor content to the code and releasing it as a small mod? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 05:44:26 pm »

I just wanted to hop in and ask what are your further plans and are you okay with me adding some minor content to the code and releasing it as a small mod? :)

The game is open-sourced by Toady, Fox couldn't do a damn thing about it if he wanted to :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4