Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Certain web sites don't work on public wifi?  (Read 1587 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Certain web sites don't work on public wifi?
« on: October 21, 2011, 10:16:58 am »

This has now happened at two separate locations and it's becoming a problem. I just moved to a new apartment and I don't have internet yet, so I'm relying on public wifi at places like McDonald's to get me through until I'm hooked up. But when I try to connect to Facebook or to expats.cz (the local English-speaking community site), neither will load. Every other site I've tried works just fine and the speed is great, but with these two sites, they say they're "loading" for ages. Expats never loads at all, and Facebook eventually loads a sort of bare-bones text-only site with no actual information on it. I've tried clicking links or going to specific profiles within Facebook, but it's all the same. If I open a new browser and try to load Facebook, the login page works fine, but once I enter my information and try to actually log in, it doesn't work.

This has happened twice, on two different days, in two different locations (once at a local cafe, once at McD's). In between these two occurrences, I visited my old apartment (my former flatmate still lives there) and used the wifi there, and both sites worked just fine.

Any idea what's going on here? I have some important things to do that require these sites, but I don't have the option right now to visit my old flat and free wifi seems to be my only choice. Why would this happen, and how can I get around it? I've tried doing a google search for this problem and I didn't find anything, so maybe it's something to do with my computer? I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and even Internet Explorer, all with the same lack of results.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Add Echo Bazaar to the list, presumably because it's connected to Facebook. It starts to load then gets stuck at "waiting for connect.facebook.net".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:20:37 am by Sappho »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Certain web sites don't work on public wifi?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:34:11 pm »

it maybe a part of the wifi proveders plan to keep there bill down, after all facebook use will make a fair bit of traffic.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:21:47 am »

Everything worked fine at Starbucks, but I can't afford to keep going there. Facebook may create a lot of traffic, but expats definitely does not. And I think I saw other people accessing these pages without difficulty. Is there some security setting on my computer that would stop them from loading over certain connections? I'm very confused, and a bit frustrated. Every other site worked just fine, including gmail and twitter and other popular sites. I will sign the contract to get internet in my apartment today, but the connection won't be set up for nearly 2 weeks. :/

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:41:33 am »

You might try a proxy service, which seems to mess with certain forms of filtering. Ninja Cloak is the one I use most often, but that's just because it's the first one I found. There may be better. It will cause a performance hit in general, but that might be less than whatever is going on.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »

There is at least one website blacklist known for, not being terribly accurate.

The wifi at mcdonalds was funded by some group, dunno about the other spots.