Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggest a hobby.... To anyone, me even,.,,  (Read 3926 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Suggest a hobby.... To anyone, me even,.,,
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 07:20:34 pm »

Making things is always fun if you like tangible results. Jewelrysmithing, wordsmithing, boozesmithing... Things like that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 08:51:29 pm »

A hobby I would probably recommend would be playing Video Games. I do it all the time and it's a good time-waster.  :)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 12:14:25 am »

I'm taking notes on the miniature sculpting/terrain sculpting stuff... It sounds like something I'd enjoy.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 12:47:16 am »

Another thing that I do to clear my mind: Get up really early one day and just walk. Walk in the street, in a forest or whatever. Get up in 6:00 AM. Have a small breakfast by yourself, go out and just walk.
this. if you live by a nice wood. combine with flintknapping or other forms of bushcraft for best results

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 01:27:06 am »

I'm taking notes on the miniature sculpting/terrain sculpting stuff... It sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Here's some stuff I've made for Mordheim (Gamesworkshop sort of persistent squad vs. squad table top war game.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most of that is made from nothing more than Pink Insulation Foam, glue, gravel I picked up off a nearby country road and an assload of paint (the super high detail pieces are GWS pieces stuck in there.) It's taken me many, many other projects to get this far and even now as I look at that stuff I see how it could be a lot better. Still, I love sometimes looking at my stuff for a good 10 or minutes and relishing the fact I made it. Maybe, one day, I'll actually get to use it in game.

If you're serious about getting into terrain modelling, here's a site chalk full of gurus, photos and walk throughs.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/

Just be sure to read the forum before you go posting a lot and asking questions. They're very serious about their board rules and they can get a little punchy over there when people don't read first and post second.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 05:45:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 06:04:41 pm »

Boozesmithing is a definate. How better to while away the many, long, boring hours of unemployment than brewing to perfection? I may even consume just a wee bit of it, for testing purposes. Now to work out a way to explain to my missus that the horrible, yeasty smell coming from the garage and the many inevitable hangovers is my new "hobby".

I'm Australian, so to lower such a thing to the status of hobby might be a little demeaning to the artform that it is. I'm sure she'll understand......

On the WH/WH40k thing. Well, maybe. I've already got plenty of geeky hobbies and as I mentioned, I'm pretty much all Warhammer'd out. Although I do have a heap of O+G that I never finished and I wouldn't mind learning how to paint a little better.

OMG. Does this signal (nay harken) to the inevitable return of the ninja goblins?

And a great shadow fell upon this house, as a weird, twisted grin slowly spread over the face of the bored one........
It's a game. Have fun.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 07:49:03 pm »

I know what I'd do If I had free time and money: buy a good acoustic guitar.

Hell, any instrument would work. Maybe when you get good you could start a band with other likeminded musicians.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:50:40 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 03:01:49 am »

I've got a cheap electric (an actual kid's toy, even advertised as such). I'd love to learn the guitar properly, accoustic or not. I currently make "sound" on it on my PC, not actual music. I did belt together a little techno'ish track today on my old copy of fruity loops, just to relearn a bit of stuff I fiddled with a while ago, so I might whip out Reaper and strum together some mish-mash before the night is out.

I'd love an accoustic. Or a music card that doesn't have 1/2 a second of latency. But I have serious doubts on whether it's the hardware holding me back. :)

Practice, practice, practice they say...... I'll be happy with noise for now. Kind of rhythmic noise, but certainly not music by any degree.

Still, yet another hobby for me. Maestro? No. But twanging, clunkily with far too much delay and overdrive should fill in a bit of time. Or inspire greater things in my life at the least.

Cheers.
It's a game. Have fun.

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 08:24:45 am »

May I not-so-humbly suggest: Airsoft. (If legal in your country)

It is a nice sport, with a little bit of something for everyone.
-Make friends. Airsofters are a merry bunch of weirdos. I could go to any town in my country, and I could call at least two dudes whom I've previously met at some nation-wide event, have a chat, have a beer, maybe even have a place to crash for the night, if bad comes to worse.
-War Games. Let's not fool anyone. When we were kids we had our plastic soldiers. Then videogames. Boys will be boys, and boys like to shoot guns. Now imagine you could shoot a gun, score a few "hits" and not hurt anyone in the process. Great, huh?
From weekend skirmishes where about 10 guys gather in a nearby derelict building for a quick deathmatch to national events with hundreds of players, and further to international events with more than one thousand people.
-Cool rags. Surely you must have a hero in mind. Maybe you would like to "be" a part of the SWAT teams? An American soldier? Private Military Contractor? World War Two Russian infantry? 
Or just go nuts. Be a zombie hunter, be part of the mafia, wear a pinstripe suit on the field, grab two golden DEagles, speak with a fake italian accent. Be a Storm Trooper. Be the Master Chief.
Whatever you wish for, you will find replica weaponry and replica equipment to match.
-Technical stuff. Are you a tinkerer? Good. Airsmithing is not only fun and educational but it can also bring you a lot of money. Good airsmiths are a valuable commodity.
-Collecting. Some of the more expensive airsoft replicas are so well made, you'd actually have to try hard to tell them apart from the real deal. Maybe your laws are not as "relaxed" as in some other countries. Maybe hanging a real assault rifle on your wall is not exactly legal. Then, my friend, check your local airsoft laws.

Also, as a bonus:
-You will obviously gather some gear that is priceless if you're into hiking, exploring nature, geocaching, and so on.
-You will learn how to use a map, a compass, or how to find your way around when missing said items.
-Like it or not, it will discipline your lifestyle a bit. You will have to unpack your gear and clean your tools after a game, no matter how tired. That is, if you want them to look good and work well. Next thing you know, you'll just notice you take more care of your regular clothes and tools.
-You probably will get scratches and bumps, and maybe it will prompt you to get into some first aid classes...
-You will lose some weight, get some exercise, breathe some fresh air and see the great outdoors.

Last Sunday. Ten degrees below freezing point, wind, and a lot of fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 12:37:59 am »

Skirmish is legal in Australia. Haven't had a game yet, but a brilliant suggestion. Who doesn't want to shoot someone that they don't really know? Especially when it's for fun and non-lethal, removing the need to get a new room mate/bed mate (but free rent) from your local correctional facility.

I'm not sure just how open the competition rules are in Oz, but tinkering with the guns/ammo to make them a little bit more powerful sounds like a blast. The paintballs can only take so much acceleration, but range, accuracy and muzzle velocity should be pretty testable and changeable. I'll look into it.

As for a hero figure, what better than the average Aussie rifleman? We've got a standing army of 50,000 with most of them in admin/logistics and other semi-non-combat roles. We sit on the biggest god-damned-mine/country on earth. We're surrounded by some of the most populous regions on earth (India, Indonesia and SE Asia) with whom we may be allies, but the realtionship has been somewhat varying throughout history. Poor bastards with good equipment and bugger all back-up relying on their mates and their training to win against overwhelming odds?

Yeah. Australia is the DF of the modern world. Just a few bastards against the world, forging deals or steel as fast as they can. To protect the fortress, the mine, the crops and the rum. Heroic enough?
It's a game. Have fun.

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 11:06:43 am »

Whoa, you're from Australia!
Your RA Inf guys are heroes, all of them! That's what got me into loving the Steyr AUG, and subsequently into playing airsoft: I've read about your guys fighting from The Second Boer War, WWI, WWII and all the way to Timor, A-stan and Iraq.
Actually I tried to get Aussie gear but failed.

Original DPCU (auscam) is impossible to get and illegal to own and replicas are rather expensive and cost a bunch to ship to Europe. Besides, it really doesn't match the vegetation in here.
I didn't manage to get a SADF83 either. And I don't feel like getting a slouch hat without being worthy of wearing one.
So I had to settle for multicam, a tactical belt and a fancy hat.  :)

I did however get the Steyr AUG.

Behold, my lovely girls:

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »

If you, like me, are easily stressed out, I recommend knitting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »

I would suggest Dwarf Fortress.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 07:04:39 pm »

I'd try knitting, I really would. But I've looked into it and there doesn't seem to be any form of martial arts connected to it in my area. One of the stranger forms of kung-fu perhaps? I'm pretty sure I could do substantial damage with a size 1 metal needle, to a person or whatever it was I was trying to knit. Perhaps even myself......

There also seems to be a limit to how much you can tinker with either needles or yarn to make them "go faster". I'm not sure a titanium or carbon fibre based needle would help much. Perhaps a battery/capacitor setup in a plastic needle for zapping people that didn't make the appropriate comments on my new sweater/scarf combo? A threading design for led lights in a beany, in green, red and white for the upcoming christmas season, maybe with some mini-speakers playing an xmas tune? A little, sparkly bag thingy to give my missus, to show my feminine side and prove I'm not really a masochistic, drunken arsehole? Hmmmm, maybe knitting does show some promise after all :)
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 [2]