Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where to get an iq test?  (Read 7209 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Where to get an iq test?
« on: October 11, 2011, 06:55:29 pm »

Hello, community. I'm wondering where I can get a legitimate iq test that doesn't cost anything. Most online tests are scams, and I'm not really sure where to get one here in town. As for my motives. . . . Well, I don't know. I guess to try and prove to myself that I'm not a total dumb ass. It's a stupid problem that I have that I would like to break, since it's been getting in the way of education. As in not even being able to think because of extremly short  lived soul crushing depression from getting any score under 78 percent. So any help finding some way to get a legit iq test is appreciated.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where to get an iq test?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:04:55 pm »

The IQ test doesn't actually measure intelligence.  It's a crock of bull, whether it tells you you're brilliant or an idiot.

As such, I'd recommend learning to enjoy what you have.  It's a more viable strategy in the long run.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:20:34 pm »

Most things that are legitimate cost money, you know. Besides, like Vector said IQ tests are so full of bull that the crock is literally overflowing with miniature horned creatures.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:26:27 pm »

Can you play Dwarf Fortress? If so, you have extremely high intelligence in one specific area. This is just about as valid a measure of your intelligence as an IQ test, so it's what I recommend.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:45:51 pm »

I'm wondering where I can get a legitimate iq test that doesn't cost anything.

If I recall correctly, the church of scientology issues IQ tests as part of their standard induction process. You may need to sit through a few hours of talks and videos and so forth to get to the test, however.

Just don't drink the koolaid.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:52:46 pm »

Most things that are legitimate cost money, you know. Besides, like Vector said IQ tests are so full of bull that the crock is literally overflowing with miniature horned creatures.
Heh, I think I might sig this, it's pretty good. :D

But yeah, you could fertilize a farm with all the bull those IQ tests spew.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:05:05 am »

It sounds like you have self-confidence issues that can't really be solved by a simple test. The best way to boost this is to work at building a realistic self image, and part of that is realizing you can improve, which changes things completely. Check this out and restructure your life around it - not kidding. Do stuff you know you can do, like writing, or art on any level (even if it's rolling hills and shaded spheres), and once you're done, improve it. Doesn't matter if your improvements fail, you've got the accomplishment already, and you start to learn to start over. That article broke me out of a year-long writing slump, where I had written almost a full book and just gave up because other parts of my life weren't going right. The rest of them are pretty cool too :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:13:12 am by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:44:26 am »

A ASVAB test (US armed forces test for intelligence in key areas for specific duties) works fine for me, told me i was a idiot at mechanics but logistics was through the roof.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:23:31 am »

In case you were wondering about iq tests an accurate one will take a long time, I don't remember how long but I remember them to be around 10 hours of tests.

All it will tell you though is what you are good and bad at though. Everyone has skills that will show up on those tests and skills that won't show up.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 05:56:23 am »

I come back here after sleeping to everybody saying iq tests are bull     >.> And I do play dwarf fortress. And aurora. But I'm talking just not being able to absorb information well at all, and just generally being a very slow thinker. Where most people just snap out answers in class, it takes me a while longer to even process the question. Maybe I need to get more sleep, since half the time my brain feels like it's full of fog.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:31:15 am »

That's honestly fine, it just means you shouldn't go into a profession that requires snap judgments often. IQ tests don't measure that sort of thing - they're about pattern matching and other aptitudes assumed to be correlated with intelligence. You're still likely a pretty spiffy dude, and it's important to look at what you can do when measuring yourself for self-esteem - everyone sucks at almost everything, that's inevitable. Measuring yourself against what you can't do is for setting goals.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:50 am »

I come back here after sleeping to everybody saying iq tests are bull     >.>

They were largely developed along here in order to help along the American Eugenics Movement, which pioneered Hitler's gas shower designs (too much bother to build the infrastructure here--clearly there was better ways to kill the "feeble-minded?"), led doctors to give live strains of tuberculosis to entering mental health patients (if they were strong, they survived! :D) and worked on immigration reform in order to block people from undesirable countries based on an examination that rated them all as feeble-minded (the average Eastern European man was thought to be as smart as an American 12-year-old).  All this with the blessings of the government.

So no, I don't think it's something you should be concerning yourself with.  It's total bull.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »

Ok. . . Well never mind then, heh.  Also, I took the PSAT today, and didn't finish either of the math sections before time was up. The reading and writing I did with time to spare, since I tend to read a lot. But math. . . Not so much. So yeah. I feel pretty bad about that, but there's nothing for it other than exercising more. I heard that the increased blood flow to the brain really allows for some great clarity of thought.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 01:04:37 pm »

I come back here after sleeping to everybody saying iq tests are bull     >.>

They were largely developed along here in order to help along the American Eugenics Movement, which pioneered Hitler's gas shower designs (too much bother to build the infrastructure here--clearly there was better ways to kill the "feeble-minded?"), led doctors to give live strains of tuberculosis to entering mental health patients (if they were strong, they survived! :D) and worked on immigration reform in order to block people from undesirable countries based on an examination that rated them all as feeble-minded (the average Eastern European man was thought to be as smart as an American 12-year-old).  All this with the blessings of the government.

So no, I don't think it's something you should be concerning yourself with.  It's total bull.
MENSA - the real Nazi party.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 01:18:51 pm »

I feel pretty bad about that, but there's nothing for it other than exercising more. I heard that the increased blood flow to the brain really allows for some great clarity of thought.

Yeah, just exercise, do more fun math problems (get an introductory pure math textbook or something, and play with it.  It's good for you), eat better, sleep more.  And don't worry.  It's a journey, not a destination, and many of the people who "made it" didn't actually do quite what they're credited with.  The story is changed to make them look better.

So, just do what you can with what you have, and try to be content =)

Pages: [1] 2