Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: British Anger and Underpaid Wages  (Read 2915 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: American Anger and Underpaid Wages
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 10:48:39 am »

*Tested in Missouri, England and Poland.

How the hell would you test that in Missouri? I know that we're both polish, and that it's highly plausible to get a job in England, but Missouri?
Yeah, well. Some 8-ish years ago, I went to the US of A thanks to the "Work & Travel" program for students. Just let me tell you, it's not a good way of actually earning money, as the combined costs of going there will at best be covered by what you can save working full time for the minimal wage over the summer break.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: British Anger and Underpaid Wages
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 11:00:05 am »

I don't pay any taxes right now, except a few dollars a month to the fair state of North Dakota. Interestingly enough, despite the fact that I'm a US Federal employee, I'd be taxed by the Federal Government if I wasn't deployed.

North Dakota has no sales tax?  No property tax?  Economists broadly agree that property taxes lead to increased cost of renting.  You don't have social security and medicare taxes deducted from your paychecks?

I could readily believe that you pay no income taxes or no net taxes at the federal level.  But unless you are low income and married with children, I very much doubt that you have no tax burden.  If you are living paycheck to paycheck, your tax burden from sales tax and property tax alone probably account for about 5-10% of your income.  Worker payroll taxes would account for another 7.5% but most economists would agree that employer payroll taxes are passed along to the workers through lower wages, so that's another 15%.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 01:11:46 pm »

Strife26 is an American soldier currently deployed overseas. He doesn't need to buy things in North Dakota, and IIRC shops on military bases are exempt from sales taxation.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 01:39:30 pm »

That would explain it.

Even so, presumably he saves up money while overseas and that income will be subject to sales and property taxes as normal when he spends most of it domestically.  So even if he isn't paying taxes right now the income that he is earning will be taxed, even if substantially less then most income.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 11:25:44 am »

Well, the PX is still sales tax free in the states, and if I live on base (heh, *if* isn't actually right here, single E3 means I *will* be living on base) I won't pay property taxes, even if I won't pocket my Basic Allowance for housing any more. Once I'm back, I will have to pay Federal taxes, and ND will continue to take whatever tiny amount it takes every month.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 05:44:21 pm »

I didn't know there was a PX in the states.  Do you do most of your shopping there?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 04:56:26 am »

The commissaries and the PX are nominally tax-free, but the PX/ commissary purchases its products from distributors who do in fact pay taxes. So cigarettes, gas, alcohol and some other goods are about the same prices on base as out on the civilian economy. Except for overseas bases, where things like that cannot be taxed, its lower then prices at an airport duty-free store.

Other then that, the prices at the PX and commissaries are comparable to Wal-mart.

State income taxes suck, Strife, you might want to consider applying for residency in whatever state you are stationed in if it doesn't have state income taxes, while you are in the military at least. Texas, maybe.

As for military pay, If I had to do it over as a soldier, I'd get married asap. You can move out of the damn workplace barracks and basically double your income with all the nice tax-free BAS/ BAH/ COLA/ FSP entitlements the military will throw at you. If the Army didn't want you to get married, they would not offer such lucrative incentives for doing so and not shit on you so much for staying single.
Pages: 1 [2]