Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: She doesn't really care about anything anymore  (Read 10455 times)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
She doesn't really care about anything anymore
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:39:18 pm »

So, it's near the end of the first year, and my militia commander doesn't really care about anything anymore, and I have no idea why. She's been suffering from a broken hand since an unfortunate incident with a giraffe a few months ago, but she's otherwise happy, having admired fine doors and what not lately. She was rather upset earlier, pre-injury, after being relieved of duty, but that is way in the past, so my question are:

One, what caused this? Something described as a minor injury? I was under the impression it took some effort to get there.

And two, are there any negative repercussion of this? Is she immune to tantrums, because if she is, I imagine she'll be rather useful down the road.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: She doesn't really care about anything anymore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:24 pm »

Soldiers get used to death and pain, especially in others. Eventually they just become immune to that sort of thing. Although they can still tantrum, it's a lot harder once they get that trait.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Demo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:53:10 pm »

They get that personality trait if they get a lot of extreme bad thoughts, like witnessing many deaths and having their dog exploded at the same time they lose their legs and nearly die while complaining of thirst because the doctor is on break.

Like the user above said, it makes them resistant to bad thoughts.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:08:00 pm »

Heh, that's odd... she's never really been traumatized.

At least it's one dwarf I won't have to worry about when the good stuff hits the fan.

Thanks, guys.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:09:41 pm »

It adds up over time.  A loss of pet here, a broken hand there...  Killing goblins seems to generate it, at least being close to the killing, so older soldiers are almost always not caring.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 06:01:18 pm »

Yes, witnessing death and suffering causes this. She'll be more immune to the effect of negative thoughts, but not sure if it causes happy thoughts to be less happy.

Beside soldiers, butchers are also prone to becoming like this. Many injuries harden dwarves too, but not always to the point of not caring anymore.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 06:02:04 pm »

I don't really care about the well being of my dwarves any more.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:04:11 pm »

Toady coded in Dwarven PTSD?

That's brilliant.  And sad.  And brilliant.  And sad.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:11:03 pm »

Whenever i read the "doesn't really care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.

It's mildly depressing.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 06:14:23 pm »

I'm all but certain I've seen migrants arrive with this trait, so maybe she started that way?  If not, it must be easy to get for some dwarves, because I have a dwarf or two that's only been in my fort for a month or less with nothing bad happening to them with this trait.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 06:15:53 pm »

Reminds me of the time when one of my masons had her face scratched/gouged out by a troll, and she gained that trait in a single swoop.

Fun times.

Oh, her skull was broken, and most of her face was gouged out.  Including eyes.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:31 pm »

No, the true brillance/sadness is that someone discovered you can engineer this deliberately in your population by dropping cats into the dining room.  From a height that splatters them.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 08:27:03 pm »

No, the true brillance/sadness is that someone discovered you can engineer this deliberately in your population by dropping cats into the dining room.  From a height that splatters them.

Cats? I used migrants.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 11:18:53 pm »

No, perfectly modelling PTSD would mean that once they get the "Doesn't really care anymore" tag, that they have chances of going Berserk/Melancholy/Stark Raving Mad more often due to someone moving furniture near them, sleeping near a workshop or seeing a noble, but raise their chances of going into a martial trance when combat arises/somedorf goes berserk/sees a noble/elves ask them to not cut down trees.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 11:26:26 pm »

The jaded dwarves weep forever more upon the perpetual death of the land. The screams of ten thousand peoples still echoing within them, slowly clawing upon their mind, trying to be liberated from this horrid existence.

Urist McMilitiaCaptain cancels record keeping: Throwing party.
Pages: [1] 2