Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: performance and attributes  (Read 2284 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
performance and attributes
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:09:52 pm »

"A creature has numerous attributes which impact its performance at various tasks." (from http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Attributes )

But is it important influence? Is it change of 10%? 1%? 100%? Is it a good idea to check creativity of all migrants to find new engravers? Maybe skill is way more important and high master armorsmith with meager creativity, spatial and kinesthetic sense is still very efficient?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: performance and attributes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:26:14 pm »

Skill level counts more than attributes, but your attributes will add a lot once you high high level.  A slow soldier vs a very agile soldier is a one-sided fight, if they're the same skill and equipment.  It mostly matters for combat and haulers, as strength and agility increase speed, while fighters also need good endurance to avoid becoming tired and toughness to take less damage.

You can view the raws for the dwarf and see the average attribute ranges to determine how varied they are.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:34:19 pm »

Skill level counts more than attributes, but your attributes will add a lot once you high high level.  A slow soldier vs a very agile soldier is a one-sided fight, if they're the same skill and equipment.  It mostly matters for combat and haulers, as strength and agility increase speed, while fighters also need good endurance to avoid becoming tired and toughness to take less damage.

You can view the raws for the dwarf and see the average attribute ranges to determine how varied they are.

I prefer to use Runesmith. Little bit simpler.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 04:35:17 pm »

Other than haulers though, there are few civillian tasks where you care about anything other than skill.  Notably, your Chief Medical Dwarf (and other important doctors) should have good empathy, with a bonus if they're spontaneous.  For nobles, their likes and dislikes will matter a lot.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:38:42 pm »

So my hunt to find dwarf with creativity to have good carpenter was time consuming and useless (therefore dwarfy) - ( http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Carpenter , infobox, section Attributes)
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »

I thought toughness reduced the pain they take or the amount it takes to make them pass out? Either way, your dwarf will be completely fucked if they take too much damage (death, of course) or they suffer too much pain (they pass out, which will cause death when the enemy gets a zillion free headshots).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:20:04 pm »

Toughness is alleged to decrease damage (thick muscles resist bruising?) but it may also affect pain.  I took Endurance to be a pain attribute though.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:53 pm »

I was under the impression that endurance prolongs combat time before exertion.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 07:15:21 pm »

According to the wiki: Endurance = length of time before you get tired/exhaustion, Toughness = you take less physical damage from attacks, Willpower = ability to resist pain.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 08:31:51 pm »

Basicly what toughness does is it basicly makes your flesh harder to cut/break, so if you have a CRAZY strong and corpulate dwarf, (How he manages to stay both fat AND a world class bodybuilder is past me) with crazy high toughness then it will prob be damn near imposible to get to the bone.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 08:37:29 pm »

(How he manages to stay both fat AND a world class bodybuilder is past me)
☼Tallow Roasts☼
Soaplent green is goblins!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 12:52:26 am »

As nobody knows answer, I announce starting !!SCIENCE!!.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 08:48:57 am »

Basicly what toughness does is it basicly makes your flesh harder to cut/break, so if you have a CRAZY strong and corpulate dwarf, (How he manages to stay both fat AND a world class bodybuilder is past me) with crazy high toughness then it will prob be damn near imposible to get to the bone.

Dwarven Sumo. The wrestlers are getting wrestless. Clad him in steel and have him bodyslam and snorlax-crush goblins and elves alike.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)