Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Finally.....I see it  (Read 4260 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finally.....I see it
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 11:20:04 pm »

It's the graphics packs that look like vomit to me. What do you mean, the natural spelling of my fortress includes two cabinets and a cat?

Are you sure it's a cat, and not a dog or horse?  Maybe a cow?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 01:15:19 pm »

No no no, Its the question on why the Fort Symbol on the World map is that of a Cabinet. And O are Rings... Or maybe Wells...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 03:26:39 pm »

I've never used anything other than ASCII.

Not to sound like an arrogant prick, but the only thing that took some time was learning what unit each letter was, i had almost no problem with the rest of the visuals.
Pretty much the same here.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 05:10:34 pm »

I played the first month or so with a graphic pack. I actually switched over to ascii because I got frustrated with not always being able to understand some of the diagrams people draw up on the forums. I think it only took me 2 or 3 days to really get used to it. I rarely need to use the loo'k' button anymore.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2011, 05:16:12 pm »

1 second.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 05:32:44 pm »

I played the first month or so with a graphic pack. I actually switched over to ascii because I got frustrated with not always being able to understand some of the diagrams people draw up on the forums. I think it only took me 2 or 3 days to really get used to it. I rarely need to use the loo'k' button anymore.
Ironically, since I have always used the standard graphics pack I find some of the diagrams people post in tilesets hard to understand.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2011, 09:34:19 pm »

I started off with ASCII and stuck with it, but it was confusing enough that I almost never came to the surface. All those commas and periods and things...One day I clambered from my dark fortress and looked at the grass, and it was grass to me. In that moment it became apparent that somewhere along the way from hiding underground to then I had become fluent in alphabet soup.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:26 am »

I was able to pick it up as I went along. I do remember looking at the Boatmurdered screenshots and being unable to bring it into 'focus' (like when you look at something complex and it takes a while for your depth perception to process everything), but when you do it yourself it's much easier to read. If you order a bridge put somewhere and you come back later to see a |====| on those tiles, well that must be a bridge looks like. Plus you have to start with the common symbols before adding the ones for furniture and traps or whatever, so it's not like you go from a blank wall to a room with a well-stocked ballista battery and fortified walls without spending a lot of time looking at those common symbols and getting them ground into your head.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rinnix

• Bay Watcher
  • astral tit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 08:51:36 pm »

Really not that long; probably a day or two. The only experience I've had with ASCII graphics was from playing Angband and Nethack, and I used to be an ASCII artist as well (although I highly doubt that really relates all that much). Of course, I did have to use 'k' every two seconds while playing at first to figure out what everything was, though. I tried to use a graphics pack, but I realized I preferred the ASCII graphics. For whatever reason, I don't know. Just feels comfortable to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]