Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF? Current list, including list of fixed bugs: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94802.msg3089089#msg3089089

impossible mandates (slade - bug #782, blue jay tooth etc - bug #1623) due to strange preferences (wagon wood - bug #3676 etc)
- 19 (3.1%)
bug #3169 - Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #524 - Liquid glob material breath attacks come out solid
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #1346 - Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #2352 - Seasonal ice melting hangs game for a ridiculously long time
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #296 - Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #425 - Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2481 - Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it
- 95 (15.7%)
bug #3453 - Baron/etc. cannot appoint baron-appointed nobles, such as the Dungeon Master
- 66 (10.9%)
bug #4025 - Every kobold starves to death at exactly year 4 in world gen
- 41 (6.8%)
bug #3708 - Ghost names that can't be engraved on a slab and nameless slab engravings
- 18 (3%)
bug #1498 - Crystal glass items can't be made, CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE appears broken
- 9 (1.5%)
bug #1582 - Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors
- 30 (4.9%)
bug #231 - Body parts from large creatures (bones, meat, leather, tusks, etc) slow workshops down due to clutter
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #197 - No wagons in trader/merchant caravans
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #3942 - Dwarves owning broken clothing. Clothes don't rot, ANNIHILATES FPS.
- 67 (11%)
bug #3685 - Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 3 (0.5%)
bug #1376 - Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 5 (0.8%)
Lye, water and buckets  (bug #1324 - buckets full of water were used to produce lye, bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable, bug #1236 - buckets contain lye and water, can't be used for anything)
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #535 - Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 46 (7.6%)
bug #3898 - Entire Bone Statcks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2712 - weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 27 (4.4%)
bug #4133 - Good/evil plants/trees don't appear (feather trees, glumprongs, sliver barbs, and sun berries)
- 11 (1.8%)
bug #2327 - Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #4550 - Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #4552 - Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 10 (1.6%)
bug #4833: When embarking, crashes when memory use reaches 2GB.
- 6 (1%)
bug #4856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious) [or any other creature]
- 0 (0%)
bug #1609: Immigrant dwarves' skills often don't match their job settings
- 2 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 604

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: clothes fixed! | old poll results | poll restarted | 344/607 fixed  (Read 39293 times)

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - poll
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 02:06:59 pm »

Hmmm, the biggest vote getter (Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it) has not been a problem for me in a long time. I make lots of cabinets, and when I see clothes starting to accumulate in a dwarf's bedroom, I give him another cabinet. I get a few claimed clothes accumulating in the Finished Goods stockpile, but not that much.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:34:40 pm by Kon »
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 04:01:30 pm »

Hmmm, the biggest vote getter (Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it) has not been a problem for me in a long time. I make lots of cabinets, and when I see clothes starting to accumulate in a dwarf's bedroom, I give him another cabinet. I get a few claimed clothes accumulating in the Finished Goods stockpile, but not that much.
Well, there are still problems like no protection from deadly blood, FPS loss (bug #3942) and quality of simulation also suffers (everybody running naked).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 08:02:22 pm »

I'd be willing to donate to the cause of fixing some specific bugs, over and above my prior donations, but I'd like to make the donation contingent on the fixing of some specific bugs that seem to crop up over and over again.

• Citizens do not wear new clothing when their old clothing wears out.
    This (hopefully) fixes the "FB got into my fort and my shoeless dwarves all melted" problem, and the "dwarves all become nudists after a few years" issue. It also provides a significant increase in the utility of weavers and cloth workers, beyond "dumped another load of cloth on the caravan and bought them out, lulz".
  • Woodcutters, Hunters and Miners have issues with being assigned a real uniform or enrolled in the military due to an 'invisible uniform' problem.
    This fixes issues with dwarves not being able to be woodcutters in the off-season and axemen when needed. Currently, these skills seem to adopt an "invisible uniform" that conflicts with assigning them a real uniform, which is exacerbated by the "citizens do not claim new clothes" problem.

I know that some workarounds exist for these particular issues (like enrolling all 300 dwarves into 30 separate military groups with assigned clothing or manually assigning multiple fortress-crafted tools/weapons to a miner or woodcutter) , but I'm not interested in workarounds. I'm quite interested in these two bugs going the way of the dodo in the next public release. I'd put up some cash for each of these specific bugs to get fixed. However, I'm stuck on two points.

• I don't know whether it's feasible. If Toady doesn't take requests to fix specific longstanding bugs, there's no point in me calling out the request only to have it ignored.
  • I'd like to be able to post the money somewhere (so it can be seen that I'm not making up the offer) contingent on the bugs being fixed (without causing a new one in the process, I should hope) If the bugs aren't fixed in the next release, I'll keep the money out there, but I'd like to eventually be able to get it back if I lose patience (eg. if five releases go by without a fix). (...and no, you can't hold the money for me.)

So, there's the first question: Does Toady take cash in exchange for providing specific bugfixes? (I'll ignore the potential ethical issues this request presents, for now, and assume that Toady is above such things.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 11:20:10 pm »

So, there's the first question: Does Toady take cash in exchange for providing specific bugfixes? (I'll ignore the potential ethical issues this request presents, for now, and assume that Toady is above such things.)

Nope.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 01:43:53 am »

Nope.
You may donate with message "I donated as bug #x was fixed" but it is unknown whatever it will result in more/less/the same rate of bugfixes.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »

You may donate with message "I donated as bug #x was fixed" but it is unknown whatever it will result in more/less/the same rate of bugfixes.
If many people would do it, for sure it would do some kind of pressure of Toady. But I do not think it will happen. From opinions gathered from this forum, I see that majority wants new features. So Toady delivers.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 03:11:51 pm »

I once said that I'd donate if the Arsenal Dwarf was removed, and it was done shortly thereafter, but I don't think it was me (although I did donate).  I think it was because several users were complaining about it, and because it was such an obviously broken feature.  It was a rare and much appreciated display of mercy, especially since his usual approach to broken new features is to let them stay broken for months or years until he gets around to adding in all the other stuff that unbreaks them. 

The current best example of this is the DF2010 channeling, which is a nerf of the 40d channeling to keep people from quickly making impassible barriers to siegers even though indestructible walls are nearly as fast to build and aren't compromised by any tunnels that might be below them, and the whole point is moot because those who wish to cheaply avoid invasions can just turn invaders off in the init file.  Eventually, if I understand correctly, he'll give invaders the means to cross channels, at which point the channels will go back to being actual channels instead of down ramps. 

In the meantime though, it causes many more problems than it fixes.  For example when trying to keep dwarves out of new (and active) magma canals.  I once lost 5 miners in a matter of seconds because they thought to use the magma channel as a walkway, which would not have happened if they'd been actual channels instead of ramps.  Unfortunately, without a way to tell your dwarves not to go places, there are sometimes little or no options for counteracting this, and most times it's not apparent that massive fatalities will be a result until it's too late.

All these points have been made repeatedly, and the ability of siegers to bridge channels is still most likely a couple years away from being a feature, but still the channels remain nerfed.  So, when Toady shows mercy on the players, it is a rare treat indeed.  Treasure it.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »

I voted for the Clothing bug (the FPS killing aspect, not the fortress clutter) since I've actually become skilled enough for my forts to die FPS deaths, which unfortunately happens before I'm ready to die an HFS death. It was a near thing between that and the Dungeon Master bug, though, since missing features is always sad.

It'll be interesting to see which of these gets fixed in the next bugfixing extravaganza.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:29 pm »

In the meantime though, it causes many more problems than it fixes.  For example when trying to keep dwarves out of new (and active) magma canals.  I once lost 5 miners in a matter of seconds because they thought to use the magma channel as a walkway, which would not have happened if they'd been actual channels instead of ramps.  Unfortunately, without a way to tell your dwarves not to go places, there are sometimes little or no options for counteracting this, and most times it's not apparent that massive fatalities will be a result until it's too late.
you can designate areas to restrict access, with traffic zones, but, it's not fool-poof. helpful though

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 01:10:21 am »

I say the kobolds starving at year 4, I was unable to smash any Koboldian skulls in!

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 02:45:44 am »

you can designate areas to restrict access, with traffic zones, but, it's not fool-poof. helpful though

In this case it doesn't do much good.  We need a way to tell dwarves to not go somewhere.  What we have now is a suggestion that it's inconvenient to go there.  Again, this is a thing that we've been asking for for a long time.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 03:20:13 am »

In this case it doesn't do much good.  We need a way to tell dwarves to not go somewhere.  What we have now is a suggestion that it's inconvenient to go there.  Again, this is a thing that we've been asking for for a long time.
Suspended wall construction? Anyway it is not bug, it is case of "AI is stupid beyond impossible due to unrecognised features, like flooding"

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 04:09:19 am »

Voted for claim new clothes but not wear them, but actually I don't know which of the clothing bugs is causing FPS problems (or, in fact, if it's clothing at all).

Basically I just want FPS to stop grinding to a halt, I don't even play anymore because I know it's just going to slow down and get boring after a while.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2011, 04:20:42 am »

FPS drop is confirmed in discussion of bug #3942 - Dwarves owning broken clothing. Clothes don't rot, ANNIHILATES FPS.

Quote from: gmafk link=http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3942
I used the save from my previous post: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4943 [^]

Items other than clothes can be easily tested using 'autodump destroy'. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on equipped items, so I just copied results from my previous test for comparison.

Step 1: Mark items for dumping.
Step 2: Run 'autodump destroy' in DFHack.

The game starts at 39 FPS (25.64 ms) before each test. Results:

Destroying 1,7 k clothes: 54 FPS (18.51 ms), -7.12 ms
Destroying 1,7 k stone (limestone + gabbro): 40 FPS (25.00 ms), -0.64 ms
Destroying 4,5 k stone (all stone on the map): 42 FPS (23.80 ms), -1.83 ms

It seems that processing clothes takes a lot more time than processing rocks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:22:22 am by Kogut »

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 08:25:53 am »

So many "good" candidates to choose from. . . :'(
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11